SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Canik TP9SF opinions
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Canik TP9SF opinions Login/Join 
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted
Anyone have one? I've been playing around with one at the shop; really sweet trigger for a striker. I'm generally not a fan of or believer in Century Arms but I can pick up one filthy dirt cheap, so much so that I think I can probably overlook the spotty reputation of its importer. I think it would work great in the proverbial "truck gun" role.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will be following this thread. The gun is getting good reviews and prices are cheap.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
If you think that has a nice trigger try the TP9SFX. It feels like it's 3 lbs.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get it, its a good gun, SF model is nice. I don't have much to say it has been accurate and reliable, mags are reasonably priced and available.

Posts: 1491 | Registered: December 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had mine a year or better and everyone one, including me, that shoots it loves it. over 1000 rounds easily. Great accuracy and zero issues with function. Easily had now under $325...

Posts: 269 | Registered: August 12, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Research Canik trigger bar issues.

For ME:
DA/SA= Sig 9mm
Striker fired= Glock 9mm
If it's a .45= 1911
Suppressed= HK in .45
I like anything in 10mm

Posts: 1442 | Location: VA | Registered: July 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had the V2 version. It was a really nice pistol, excellent fit and finish, awesome trigger and very accurate. It was just too big for my needs. Right after I sold mine they came out with a more compact version, just my luck.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3523 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I like the improvements Canik made with the SF. For the price, why not give it a try?

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the opinions. Yeah, I know they're inexpensive at the retail level, but they're even more ridiculously cheap at the wholesale price point, especially when buying direct from Century.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Haven't fired one but they look well made and have good reviews.
My concern would be that they may or may not have staying power in this market, and that parts might be hard to get down the road.
Plastic guns, even from name brand manufacturers, seem to be having a price war to the bottom and may squeeze out the lesser known brands.

Posts: 9493 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
I have the T9SFX and I can tell you it is a lot of gun for the money. Very nice trigger, short reset, (2) 20 rd magazines. Very satisfied with this one. This target was the first time I shot it. 30'. I'm not a great shot, so most of you would be pleased I'm sure. Big Grin

JEREMIAH 33:3

Posts: 2750 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
If it is going to be a range gun then IMO the risk of buying one for that purpose is small. I personally would go somewhere else for SD/CCW purposes though.

Myself I would rather spend the money on a new HK VP9 for $450 but it sounds like you can get an extra special inside deal on a Canik.

Posts: 9737 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My friend had both the Elite and the TP9SFX and both strikers broke. The TP9SFX came from Century with a broke firing pin and the Elite broke during firing at the range on the 3rd trip. The strikers are cheap MIM parts. The strikers can be replaced with a higher quality Walther P99 striker and will work just fine. We tested it with my P99AS striker.

Century will send you replacements if you can get them to answer the phone, but they are made from the same material. When they worked they were fantastic. Trigger was excellent in both and the Elite seemed to be a bit more accurate than the TP9SFX.

"Life is tough, Life is tougher if you're stupid." John Wayne

Posts: 85 | Location: GA | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J0hnF:
My friend had both the Elite and the TP9SFX and both strikers broke. The TP9SFX came from Century with a broke firing pin and the Elite broke during firing at the range on the 3rd trip. The strikers are cheap MIM parts. The strikers can be replaced with a higher quality Walther P99 striker and will work just fine. We tested it with my P99AS striker.

Century will send you replacements if you can get them to answer the phone, but they are made from the same material. When they worked they were fantastic. Trigger was excellent in both and the Elite seemed to be a bit more accurate than the TP9SFX.

WOW, no good with MIM firing pin. I guess you get what you pay for after all. Still might be worth a chance for some as a range gun but I will spend a little more.

Thanks for the info.

Posts: 9737 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
They're far from the only brand using MIM strikers.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoeyBones7
posted Hide Post
Aren't current production Glock firing pins MIM too?

Posts: 474 | Location: PA | Registered: May 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
The strikers are cheap MIM parts

Well there is good MIM and cheap MIM. I don't believe HK and Walther use MIM firing pins for the VP9 and PPQ. From J0hnF experiences the Caniks use cheap MIM for the firing pin.

Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
I did a quick google search and didn't see anyone else complaining about broken strikers

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JoeyBones7:
Aren't current production Glock firing pins MIM too?

The Sig 320 striker is MIM and I don't know of any significant instances of failure.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Posts: 3504 | Registered: September 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like there's at least an alternate fix if a striker goes bad, in case Century doesn't follow through effectively. Walther's had its own quality issues lately (barrels), but I've never had a problem with the striker in my P99AS (or any other problem, for that matter).

Yes I can get the Canik on the cheap; one of those few perks working in a gun shop and putting up with the measly salary.

I will say that like the VP9, it did poorly in the infamous MAC reliability testing. In fact it did worse, unable to finish the 'gauntlet' half of the test. Even the Hi Point C9 made it all the way through (granted they had to load light for the gauntlet run).

It's still so bloody cheap though. And frankly I'd rather have it than a S&W Shield at similar money including rebate. Plus I'd like to retrieve my "truck" G19 back that this Canik would be replacing.