SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Ruger's now offering a New Vaquero birdshead in .357.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger's now offering a New Vaquero birdshead in .357. Login/Join 
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted
https://ruger.com/products/vaq...specSheets/5162.html

I've been wanting a .357 New Vaquero birdshead real bad for several years now. I have a 4 5/8" New Vaquero in .357 that I grown to really like and had been kicking around getting a second one lately. I looked over Ruger's offerings, and I saw that. I may have to just snag one.

Before, they only offered them in .45 and .44 chamberings. Bownell's sells a birdshead gripframe in-the-white that I didn't want to mess with. Now I can have a semi-matched pair in stainless in .357. Yeah, probably gonna get one. Big Grin

Man, Ruger's knocking it out of the park this year.

Posts: 17127 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Man, Ruger's knocking it out of the park this year.

And it's only February!

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Good choice. Buy two and come out and play Cowboy with us!

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Oh, I want to. We'll see what's sitting around that I can bear to part with. Big Grin

Posts: 17127 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Been listed since last year, Septemberish. Anyway, I been thinking about one too, but something else always comes up.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2739 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back in Black
posted Hide Post
It's been out for a while, I have one. Nice gun. Swapped out the grip panels.

Posts: 1147 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I'm no Ruger fan, but do like their SA revolvers.

Played with this exact gun a bit at SHOT show. It balanced VERY NICELY and simply begged to be spun. A few moments after I started handling it, it struck me....basically the same gun that Doc Holiday had in "Tombstone". Maybe WHY I wanted to spin it so badly.

I can see one of these in MY future.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Well, I'm late to the party, it seems, but I'm glad there's a party. Razz

So with them being available for a bit, hopefully that means it shouldn't be hard to lay hands on one. I need to take stock of fun stuff that can go bye-bye and get some scratch together.

quote:
Originally posted by RobC2:
It's been out for a while, I have one. Nice gun. Swapped out the grip panels.

I'm drooling over here, Rob. As pictured, that's the perfect companion to the one sitting on my desk right now. Mind if I ask what you paid? I see Bud's has them for $639. I need to see what my local guy can get them for, but I'm wagering it'll be about the same.

quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
I'm no Ruger fan, but do like their SA revolvers.

Played with this exact gun a bit at SHOT show. It balanced VERY NICELY and simply begged to be spun. A few moments after I started handling it, it struck me....basically the same gun that Doc Holiday had in "Tombstone". Maybe WHY I wanted to spin it so badly.

I can see one of these in MY future.

One of my favorite movies, and one of my favorite performances in a western. He has two nickel Colts, one a 4 5/8" 1873 in a cross-draw shoulder holster rig and an 1877 Lightning in his right vest pocket under the holster strap.

Neat article here on Doc Holliday's guns:
https://dochollidaylive.biz/docs-guns/

I would really love to see Ruger put out a Thunder/Lightning gripframe that works with the New Vaquero. Now whether that's possible or feasible is another matter. But yeah, this is likely as close to a Doc Holliday rig as I'm going to get in a Ruger, so I'm interested.

With bad intent
posted Hide Post
Sent you an email Smile

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back in Black
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm drooling over here, Rob. As pictured, that's the perfect companion to the one sitting on my desk right now. Mind if I ask what you paid? I see Bud's has them for $639. I need to see what my local guy can get them for, but I'm wagering it'll be about the same.

Looks like it was $607 shipped with no CC fees from TSS Warehouse.

Posts: 1147 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tenmm
posted Hide Post
I want one in .45 Colt, but I would like to handle one before buying. Its been a long time since I've seen one at a gunshop though.

Posts: 760 | Location: Alaska | Registered: December 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WARPIG602:
Sent you an email Smile

Replied. Smile

quote:

Thanks, Rob. Smile

tenmm, I would like to actually get one in hand also, but for whatever reason, I have never run into one in the wild. No idea why, just my luck. Probably just going to have to buy one.

That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine bought one last fall from Tin Star Shooting Range on GunBroker.com.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tenmm
posted Hide Post
I have one in .32H&R, its a slick little gun. Im tempted to put the grip frame on my Bisley, just to try it out.

BTW, $607 is a great price! Thanks to shipping rates, theres a bit more mark up here

Posts: 760 | Location: Alaska | Registered: December 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I want the .44 mag one, but there are too many other claims on my cash to order a new one. Besides, I hate to buy new guns.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
I'm saving my nickles and dimes to buy a pair in .44 mag to replace my .357 Ubertis for SASS

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Have a link to that?

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
I bought mine used. It's a 45 Colt.

Wasn't sure about the grip, but I was pleasantly surprised at how comfortable it was with stout loads.

Fits the hand well.

Mine is 3 3/4"

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back in Black
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
quote:
quote:

Have a link to that?

It has gone up since I bought mine. Basically, I searched 5162 Ruger for a couple of weeks and went with what I felt was the best value.

Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tenmm:
I want one in .45 Colt, but I would like to handle one before buying. Its been a long time since I've seen one at a gunshop though.

Love my 45 Colt, though mine is the original large frame Vaquero. It is more pleasant to me with stout Ruger-only loads than any of the 45 Colt Blackhawks I've owned over the years. I think it'a a really sexy gun. Cool

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post