SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P227 trouble at the range today
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P227 trouble at the range today Login/Join 
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted
I was an "early adopter" or the P227. As soon as it came out, I bought one. I also bought some of the very first 14 round magazines for it. I really haven't take it out too, too much and I guess I've mostly used the factory 10 round magazines.

I tried both of my 14 round mags today and both just fell out of the gun. I made sure they were seated well after the first time. However, after a few rounds the mag would just drop out of the gun. Sometimes it would have loaded the next round, often not.

I'm wondering if this was just the early versions and if the later ones have reliable. I'm wondering if it might be the gun, although no trouble with the factory 10 rounders.

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have about 500 rounds through the P227 with the ten round mags.
Works perfectly.
I have not even considered the 14 rounders, based solely on what I have read on SF about their failures. And the cost factors in too.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 15988 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Works perfectly.
I have not even considered the 14 rounders, based solely on what I have read on SF about their failures. And the cost factors in too.

That's part of the question. I'd like to use them at the range, but don't want to put any more money into one if the issues have not been resolved.

I remember when they first came out, there were feeding issues for some people. I don't recall any "retention" issues. At $58 it's a pricey failure.

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
At $58 I'd send them back. It sounds like it could be something as simple as a poorly cut mag latch window in the mag body.

FWIW: I haven't had any problems with a couple of 14 rounders seating and staying locked in the magwell, but I've definitely had feeding problems with them. No problems whatsoever with the 10 round mags.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGWolf:
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Works perfectly.

That's part of the question. I'd like to use them at the range, but don't want to put any more money into one if the issues have not been resolved.

I remember when they first came out, there were feeding issues for some people. I don't recall any "retention" issues. At $58 it's a pricey failure.

Yes, the feeding issue was well known. I was the first victim that reported this to SIG. Although I did not experience the retention issue, I did read about it from some folks. Whether or not they fixed the 14-rounder, I don't know, and I don't care. Never touching them again.

Q

Posts: 26186 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Every day is New Year's Day
for Calendar Boy!

Oh, and I'm BANNED
posted Hide Post
Ok, silly question... If the 10 round mags work well (and mine do) what's different about the 14 rounders that causes them not to work? Seems like all they have to do is make the body longer and put in a longer spring. Simple enough.

Posts: 1045 | Registered: September 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jac1304
posted Hide Post
There was a thread awhile back for replacing the springs with wollf springs.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NeaElrLopMQ

Posts: 908 | Location: Snohomish, WA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jac1304:
There was a thread awhile back for replacing the springs with wollf springs.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NeaElrLopMQ

I could see where that might resolve a feed issue, but the retention, I wouldn't think so., but who knows.

It seems that to spend money to fix a magazine that already cost you nearly $60 is adding insult to injury, even if it's the most convenient.

I may try to send them back to sig. I bought them locally here at a gunstore.

Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John3200:
Ok, silly question... If the 10 round mags work well (and mine do) what's different about the 14 rounders that causes them not to work? Seems like all they have to do is make the body longer and put in a longer spring. Simple enough.

Yeah, I hear ya! I don't know that the issue is. They seem to seat. If I pull on it, it does not come out, but there is something that happens when the pistol cycles that causes it to drop out. I don't know if it's the jolt of the slide or the slide loading the next round.

I don't know why they would be designed differently or not work when the 10 rounders work find. Maybe Bruce Gray knows.

posted Hide Post
I ended up putting the Wolff para ordnance spring in my 14 round mag and they have been flawless. Have about 700 rounds through them and no issue. Sig is well aware of the issue and it seems that are not really willing to correct the problem. I've had a number of others that have had the same success.

https://www.gunsprings.com/PAR...16/cID1/mID48/dID195

Posts: 178 | Registered: May 16, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Draggun:
I ended up putting the Wolff para ordnance spring in my 14 round mag and they have been flawless. Have about 700 rounds through them and no issue. Sig is well aware of the issue and it seems that are not really willing to correct the problem. I've had a number of others that have had the same success.

https://www.gunsprings.com/PAR...16/cID1/mID48/dID195

What issue did you have? Was it feeding or retention of the mag or both?

posted Hide Post
Sorry should have stated based on your post. It was the feeding issue they seem to have problems with, not retention at all. Actually first I've heard of that.

Posts: 178 | Registered: May 16, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I looked forward to the 227, as I had a strong appreciation for the 220. I had a chance to shoot it at a local range when they did a Sig day, with a couple of factory reps. I shot the 227 and the 224.

The 224 failed every few rounds. The reps pulled it out of the box brand new. It had no lubrication, and jammed round after round. The 227 did a bit better, but not much. I thought it felt blocky and awkward.

I ended up going with a Glock 21. With a G30, the ten round capacity is available in a smaller, more compact package.

Ten rounds in a 227 seems wasteful, to me.

Sig is very successful in the P320 line, but not nearly so moving in the direction of the 224 and the 227.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one 14 rounder for my 227, I got it about six months ago from the SIG store. I have maybe 150 rounds fired with it with no issues so far. But it's been strictly 230 grain ball and it's never left loaded after the range. Of course the 10 rounder's have been flawless with a variety of bullet types and have been left loaded for extended periods. I really like the 227 for a .45 range gun, but outside of that I have no use for it. If I want to carry a .45, the 220 gets the nod every time. I believe for those who want a 10 shot .45 for carry, the 320 is the way to go. However, as a huge fan of TDA pistols, I'll hang on to my 227, but I doubt I'll buy any more 14 round mags.

Posts: 216 | Registered: January 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
I looked forward to the 227, as I had a strong appreciation for the 220. I had a chance to shoot it at a local range when they did a Sig day, with a couple of factory reps. I shot the 227 and the 224.

The 224 failed every few rounds. The reps pulled it out of the box brand new. It had no lubrication, and jammed round after round. The 227 did a bit better, but not much. I thought it felt blocky and awkward.

I ended up going with a Glock 21. With a G30, the ten round capacity is available in a smaller, more compact package.

Ten rounds in a 227 seems wasteful, to me.

Sig is very successful in the P320 line, but not nearly so moving in the direction of the 224 and the 227.

I wouldn't fault any gun for failing without any lubrication. Perhaps striker fired polymer guns like the G30 you mention or the G21, perhaps they would be okay.

I don't think it's a fair comparison. However, if you're point is that you want a gun that runs without any care or lubrications, perhaps Glock or some other polymer is the way to go.

The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
The magazine catch notch position has been changed. It was only moved a few thousandths

I no longer recall when that change occurred.

Your magazines are warrantied by SIG. Call them up and tell them of the issue and ask for them to be replaced.

Once mine were replaced they functioned 100%. I currently have 4 of the 10s and 3 of the 14s (all the new design)

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5176 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post