SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Analysis Paralysis: which pistol do I take on my Alaska vacation?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Analysis Paralysis: which pistol do I take on my Alaska vacation? Login/Join 
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Of the options you mentioned, I like the 44 Magnum S&W 69. It fits all the requirements you have. Particularly desirable solution since it winnows down your stable by one unused firearm.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5053 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
John has a
long moustashe
Picture of john1
posted Hide Post
I have an S&W 2.75" M-69 and it's pretty entertaining to shoot full magnums...loud, too.

I load .44 special for carry but have a speed strip of magnum available in a hip pocket.

Posts: 593 | Location: Rural NW Oklahoma | Registered: June 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Of the guns you list I would take one of the 3” wheelguns. Either one would do as well as the next. If you venture into the deep bush, add some bear spray to the mix.

No need to buy a new gun or carry a more cumbersome, long gun.

Posts: 6159 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pepsiblue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimber1911:
For hiking, simply need a .22 and fellow hiker.

lol.... I see what you did there....

10mm lays waste to entire cities, cuts through diamonds and will tear Superman a new asshole. - Parabellum

Sex offenders can not be rehabilitated. It's in their wiring. They should not be released back into the general public. On the other hand they should not be warehoused either. I think they should be executed.....Spectre

When someone tries to kill you, it doesn't matter how they are doing it. You're in mortal danger, and it's time to try to kill them back.

Arc.
___

Kill every last one of these goddamned animals. We need a president with balls. We need leadership. We should be carpet bombing these barbarians wherever we find them, and we should be looking for them 24/7. We have to unleash Hell upon them. They understand nothing but death, so death is what we should bring them, wholesale.... Para

I left "practical" behind many years ago. It was covered with my first Glock 19. (Fredward)

Posts: 2495 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: July 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Keep your .44 Special for life in MI but get a six shot .44 Magnum for the AK trip. Redhawk or 629. Dump the G19 and M65 if you need too in order to fund the six shot 44 Magnum. Just my 2 cents.

Posts: 3145 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for all the replies. Had a busy day yesterday, daughter was marching in the city’s Memorial Day parade and I had a brisket on the smoker, so I’m just getting back to the thread to see them all.
In answer to an inquiry earlier in the thread, we are flying, not driving; that is one of the reasons I am set on taking just one firearm: limited baggage weight/space. Could’ve drank with a handgun through Canada anyway.
I am leaning toward carrying the .44 Special with the Buffalo Bore outdoorsman loads at this point, but I think I might also grab some of the .40 cal hardcast stuff to try in my P229, and make a decision between the two after I shoot them both. I’m figuring a brain shot is only possibility for stopping a large animal with any of the choices I have, so maybe more rounds on board is the answer.
As for trading in the S&W 65 towards anything else; that is a non-starter: the pre-lock, pre-MIM S&W’s and German Sigs in my collection don’t get sold or traded, simple as that.

"Shoot first, shoot fast, shoot straight, shoot last." -- attribution unknown (to me)

Posts: 269 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
I'd carry the 229, with the .357 Sig barrel if I had it, and the .40 if I did not. A mag of hollow point for in town, and a mag of FMJ for the woods.

^^^^^^^
T H I S

Posts: 4498 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Two posters now have suggested the P229 in .357 sig instead of .40. I'm a big fan of the .357 Sig for everyday carry, but I'm genuinely curious about why one would favor it for this application. I was thinking of using the .40 barrel because of the ability to use a 200gr. hard cast bullet @ 1000 fps. I found one heavy bullet load for the .357 sig, think it was an Underwood or a DoubleTap; it was a 180gr. at the same velocity of 1000fps. Wouldn't I be better off taking the larger diameter, heavier weight option? Or are we thinking stay with the more usual 125gr. load (FMJ), and rely on its velocity to achieve the penetration needed?

"Shoot first, shoot fast, shoot straight, shoot last." -- attribution unknown (to me)

Posts: 269 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scoutrifleman:
In answer to an inquiry earlier in the thread, we are flying, not driving; that is one of the reasons I am set on taking just one firearm: limited baggage weight/space. Could’ve drank with a handgun through Canada anyway.

Just checking! Didn’t want to see you on an episode of ‘Border Security’.

Hope you have a great trip!

Cathy

Posts: 302 | Registered: August 10, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Of the choices you mentioned, I'd go with the .44 special and Buffalo Bore hard cast ammo. Shot placement will be more important than caliber in your case and a revolver is more reliable than a semi-auto in all conditions. If I knew I'd be in large bear country, I'd be packing my 45-70 Guide Gun, screw the relatives sensibilities. Just my .02.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Two posters now have suggested the P229 in .357 sig instead of .40. I'm a big fan of the .357 Sig for everyday carry, but I'm genuinely curious about why one would favor it for this application. I was thinking of using the .40 barrel because of the ability to use a 200gr. hard cast bullet @ 1000 fps. I found one heavy bullet load for the .357 sig, think it was an Underwood or a DoubleTap; it was a 180gr. at the same velocity of 1000fps. Wouldn't I be better off taking the larger diameter, heavier weight option? Or are we thinking stay with the more usual 125gr. load (FMJ), and rely on its velocity to achieve the penetration needed?

The .357 Sig has better penetration for layered clothing, glass, and larger animals than the .40 S&W. Recoil is far more manageable than with a .44 Magnum, and capacity is a must if you're in an area where you might have some distance to go to reach help or get cell coverage.

Posts: 4498 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If using a pistol, you would most likely use many rounds of ammunition. 16 in the Glock, plus two spare mags would be much better than a harder to control six shooter.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I want a S&W 69 2.75", so I would use this as my excuse to buy one. Smile

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Play deader Tim...

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
This is my rig for the two upcoming trips to Alaska. I don't care about it being concealed when in Brown bear territory. I want it accessible. It is a S&W 629 3 inch barrel ported Trail Boss in 44 mag. Good luck with your decision.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post

A truly large Montana grizzly. Alaska bears can run large as well. I'd rely more on bearspray and awareness than any pistol.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey coloradohunter44; You have a beautiful dog in
your photo.....

Posts: 248 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: November 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve almost entirely switched away from the 44mag and gone to the Glock 20. I have 3 glock 20s (2 gen4 and one gen3). I have made some modifications to one of the gen4 pistols (Kkm barrel, trijicon night sights but still need to figure out the recoil spring). I use the underwood 220g and carry it in a gunfighters inc kenai chest holster.

I love my 44mags but I’ve just found myself leaving it at home more and more and taking a g20.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:

Purely a suspicion about penetration. I think that it is likely that the smaller frontal area of a hard cast or fmj .357 SIG will likely penetrate better than the .40 with its larger frontal area. Since we are talking heavy animals and handguns, penetration is the primary metric to measure. In order to stop the threat, you have to get to the vitals. In a big animal, that either means through a heavy skull, or through a lot of muscle on the way to the heart/lungs.

Given all of that, I would rather have 13 rounds of heavy .357 SIG or .40 than 6 rounds of .44 mag.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post