SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Analysis Paralysis: which pistol do I take on my Alaska vacation?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Analysis Paralysis: which pistol do I take on my Alaska vacation? Login/Join 
posted
I am going on a family vacation to Alaska this summer. For logistical reasons, I am arming myself with one concealable handgun for this trip. I need to be able to carry it relatively discreetly when we are in populated areas and when we are with my wife’s granola lefty relatives, but it also must be sufficient to deal with any issues that might arise while traveling in the wild. So...let’s not turn this into a “bear gun” thread. Using it for bear defense is obviously a potential scenario, though I plan to purchase a can of bear spray, about as soon as i deplane. Mainly it’s going to be my one and only “always” gun for two weeks. This gun is most likely something I already own, though I do have one acquisition possibility under consideration...
The three in my armory that I am contemplating are:

1. S&w 65 .357 mag. 3”, loaded with a good 180gr. hard cast flat nose bullet; like a Buffalo Bore or a Double Tap. Have had this gun for a while, and shoot it well, though I have yet to shoot any of the B.B. hard cast or similar stuff through it (I will before I go, though, if it’s the one I choose). I Strap it on for excursions into my native Michigan woods with complete confidence; but was on vacation out west (Montana, Dakotas, et. al.) some years ago, and saw critters there that made me feel I didn't have enough gun; Alaska is that more so, I believe.

2. Ruger GP-100 .44 Special, loaded with Buffalo Bore 255gr. HCFN, which should be at about 950-975 FPS, out of it’s 3” tube. 5 shots of bigger but slower vs. 6 shots in option #1. The Ruger is a more recent acquisition than the Smith, but I’ve shot it enough, including with the B.B. stuff, to be confident it’s reliable & shootable. Wish it was a magnum though ...

3. Sig P229 .40, assuming it feeds reliably with B.B. or Double Tap 200gr. HCFPs. I’ll have to go out and shoot some if I decide this option is worth pursuing. The P229 has been my daily carry gun, in 357 sig, for years. I usually think “revolver” when I travel, because of simpler logistics and relatively fool-proof functionality, but the existence of the B.B. “Outdoorsman” and similar loads from other manufacturers got me contemplating the utility of my daily carry, albeit in different caliber and load, in this situation. 13 rounds in the gun instead of 5 or 6; can carry a second mag with 180gr. gold dots that can be swapped in for use in populated areas where human predators are the primary concern...seems appealing, but potentially underpowered in the back country.

4. @&$! it...get a .44 magnum! The S&W 69 2.75” is about the same size and weight as the GP-100, even fits in the same holster. I manage a gun store, so “management” would be fine with me trading in the GP-100 and a Glock 19 that I hardly ever shoot for the 69. I like the idea of a .44 magnum for this particular application, but if I do that I have a little over a month to test out a brand new gun and familiarize myself with it. Also, I like the GP-100, and the .44 Special handles anything in my home environs adequately, so I have some misgivings about trading it in anyway..

So what do you guys think? I initially figured I’d take the .44 Special, just because it throws the biggest, heaviest bullets of anything I currently own...but I need input on the viability/desirability of the other options I outlined above. And yes, I am way overthinking this.

"Shoot first, shoot fast, shoot straight, shoot last." -- attribution unknown (to me)

Posts: 269 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are you planning to be hiking or out and about away from town? If you're just visiting relatives, it probably doesn't matter. If you're concerned about bear, a .44 magnum would be a good choice, though I wouldn't be taking a 2 or 3" revolver. If the issue were concealing from your relatives (assuming they live in Alaska and don't understand the reason for carrying a firearm), leave the weapon in the car while you're with them. Or in your bags.

A 10mm with hard cast buffalo bore, or a .44 Ruger, or better...or sling a .45/70.

.44 can be run hot and will equal or exceed .44 magnum in the right firearm, but the utility is lost with too short a barrel.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PaPaP226:
Glock 20/10mm would be my choice. Alround good gun. Plenty of rds and stopping power. Its also very managable. You'll have very good factory ammo selections.

Ditto. Except the G29 with G20 spare mags. If I’m not mistaken Alaskan state troopers carry the G20.

For ME:
DA/SA= Sig 9mm
Striker fired= Glock 9mm
If it's a .45= 1911
Suppressed= HK in .45
I like anything in 10mm

Posts: 1442 | Location: VA | Registered: July 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
G20 or 29 without a doubt.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you’re going out in the woods a .44 magnum. I don’t see that you gain enough with a 10mm over .357 magnum besides capacity as the ballistics are similar.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I'd carry the 229, with the .357 Sig barrel if I had it, and the .40 if I did not. A mag of hollow point for in town, and a mag of FMJ for the woods.

I had a thread like this about a year ago, asking about a do it all town and woods gun. 3/4 flap who has probably the most experience on the board of carrying in the back country suggested my SigPro in 9mm. Had the most rounds, was most concealable when needed and was powerful enough. He had carried one in the past in the woods, and his son, who was working for (I think) the Forest Service carried one, generally working in the Rocky Mountain West.

I know it sounds counter intuitive, and the most common advice is a big revolver, but for what you are doing, and considering you can only bring one, that's the one I would take.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I have a 329PD that is perfect for such conditions in the field, it is very light and easy to carry. Recoil is stout, though tamed fairly well with the addition of Pachmayr Decelerator rubber grips.

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
For hiking, simply need a .22 and fellow hiker.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We’ll be in town a bit, but also have a number of day hikes and excursions planned. I am not visiting relatives in Alaska, but we’ll be spending some time with members of the wife’s family that are also making the trip. I prefer to carry concealed, never been comfortable with open carry. Hence my desire to stay with a mid-size gun.
The Glock 10mm was actually an option I had briefly considered, but I wasn’t sure about it’s suitability out the box to run the outdoorsman loads. Getting the gun is easy enough, but then if it requires an aftermarket barrel and RSA to shoot the heavy stuff, I’ve got run those down, and then get to the range for reliability testing and familiarization...seems like a lot to do in the five weeks I have before we go. That’s why I’m leaning toward taking something I’ve already got and I know works, or at most, going to the Smith 69/.44, which i can prove to my satisfaction with a couple of range trips.

"Shoot first, shoot fast, shoot straight, shoot last." -- attribution unknown (to me)

Posts: 269 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimber1911:
For hiking, simply need a .22 and fellow hiker.

Works great until you run across a pack of wolves. Might I suggest an AK-47, full auto? Wink

Best sellers for us, for customers going up to Alaska to work or for recreation (hunt, fish):

Pump 12ga defensive shotguns, lots of slugs (typically lowest cost, so no surprise it's the most popular)
Ruger Alaskan 454 Casull, at times tough to keep 'em in stock
Ruger Alaskan 44 MAG
Mossberg 12ga Shockwave, Remington TAC-14
Scandium 44 MAG S&Ws
M629s, the shorter the barrel the more popular
4.2" Ruger Redhawk, though I just sold someone a 2.75" 44 MAG for the same use
Short barreled S&W X-frames, mostly 460s due to the choices of alt. calibers it allows
10mm pistols, primarily Glocks but the SIG P220 as well. A couple have gone with 1911s.
Lever action 45-70s, brush gun barrel lengths

A couple of guys I know have gone to using AR pistols, done with the shortest length builds they can do (ridiculously short barrels, folding buffer tubes) and chamberings for larger calibers than 5.56x45. How reliable these guns are I don't know, but a 50 Beowulf or 450 Bushmaster AR pistol does somehow sound kinda intriguing. But both guys who've gone down this route are using 300BLK uppers last I heard.

I realize that most if not all of this goes well beyond the scope that you're looking at, but the folks who buy (or build) these kinds of guns for their jaunt up to the 49th take their wilderness journeys quite seriously. None of them take much stock in bear spray, especially if the wind is blowing in the wrong direction.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Of the guns you have listed, I would go with the GP-100 44. Load it with Underwood ammo and get a good holster. When I carried a RedHawk, I used a Simply Rugged pancake holster and it actually concealed pretty well.
Loaded properly, the 44 should meet your needs.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are you flying, or driving?

Cathy

Posts: 302 | Registered: August 10, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Ruger Alaskan: 454 Casull or 44 mag.

Posts: 13812 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Scandium 44 MAG S&Ws

Jesus, is this so folks can show the bear or moose that they are tougher then the animal and run them off in fear? Smile

Every time I have shot one of those I feel like I am giving my unborn grandchildren carpal tunnel syndrome.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
quote:
Scandium 44 MAG S&Ws

Jesus, is this so folks can show the bear or moose that they are tougher then the animal and run them off in fear? Smile

Every time I have shot one of those I feel like I am giving my unborn grandchildren carpal tunnel syndrome.

It's because they're a LOT easier to pack, especially when one is already dealing with a full pack.

If being charged by a bear, or if up a tree with a bear at the bottom, a little recoil will be the very last concern.

The amount of time spent packing it is going to be substantially more than the amount of time spent shooting it.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scoutrifleman:
I am going on a family vacation to Alaska this summer.....let’s not turn this into a “bear gun” thread. in my armory that I am contemplating:

1. S&w 65 .357 mag. 3”, loaded with a good 180gr. hard cast flat nose bullet; like a Buffalo Bore or a Double Tap. Have had this gun for a while, and shoot it well...

This counts for more than anything else I can think of.

quote:
4. @&$! it...get a .44 magnum! The S&W 69 2.75”... even fits in the same holster.

Sounds like this is the one you want to take with you. Heck, I'd use the Alaskan trip as an excuse to buy a Desert Eagle (if I didn't have one already) and fit it out with an extra barrel for the 44 Magnum & 50AE capability.

Chances are, the most menacing thing you will encounter on your trip is the in-laws.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’d say if you want the .44 mag to own after this trip, get it. Great excuse for a new gun. Otherwise, any of the other choices will work with the .40 obviously being more for 2 legged predators and the .44spl for the bears. Just depends on which way you want to lean.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I live in a remote part of Alaska where not only are there lots of big bears but tons of people come out here to fish and hunt. The 10mm glocks seem to be very popular, they are very common out here as are 44magnuns with 4-5” barrels.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
My brother is in Alaska and he carries a 10mm with Underwood or hardcast bullets for CCW and a Marlin 45/70 for a long gun.

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Whatever you choose, be sure to test it with the exact ammo you decide to carry. I've had bullets that started to pull out of their casings from the recoil on my Ruger 454 Alaskan. Completely locked up the cylinder after the first 2 rounds.

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post