SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Tell me about your P938
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tell me about your P938 Login/Join 
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted
I may still be in the market for an easy to conceal 9mm and when I handled one of these the other day I was very impressed with it. I handled the extreme model and one with hogue grips, most likely would want the Hogues I think.

What are your experiences with them? Reliability and recoil being my main concerns. My new G43 isn't working out like I'd hoped. If you have experience with both that's even more helpful to me.

Thanks.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
You'll get a lot of praise here, but I could never get comfortable with carrying it. The two part guide did me in. Mine went flying down range on two different occasions.

Never felt good about it after that.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I first got mine I thought it was THE ONE carry I have always wanted. I can't explain it, but I fell out of love with it quickly.

I think I have gotten over all the caliber wars etc. I have come to realize and accept the fact that for me it's pocket carry and the gun is a lightweight 38 j frame or LCR. That's what I have come back to over the past 13 years, and that's what I'm staying with.

Posts: 394 | Location: Florida Gulf Coast | Registered: October 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had a P938 Extreme for a while, don't have a bad thing to say about it. Mine likes a heavier bullet, it is accurate and reliable. That having been said I don't use mine for carry. Having carried a Sig P229 for several years before retirement can't see switching but it may work well for others.

NRA Benefactor

Posts: 106 | Location: State of Confusion | Registered: July 05, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnnyD
posted Hide Post
I have one in my carry rotation. In a Remora-type holster it disappears. Recoil is definitely there but it does not bother me. I would suggest a model with the Hogue grips, or put some on it. They definitely help me with control.
Now that there is factory ammo made for Micro pistols (HST), I feel comfortable with the ammo choices.
I have not owned mine for that long, but I like it thus far.

-----------------------------------

USAF/ANG Retired

Posts: 782 | Location: Garland, (Zombieland) TX. | Registered: February 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have owned my P938 Blackwood for 2-1/2 years. It is now my EDC pocket pistol. At first, it did not like 115 gr rounds, but now it is well broken in and will eat any brass cased round. I typically run between 100-200 rounds through it every range trip (1/month) and have experienced no issues, for the last year or so. I trust it implicitly with Federal LE 124 gr HST +P, as my carry ammo.

I am not a fan of the SAO manual of arms. If it were a DA/SA with decocker, it would be the PERFECT deep concealment pistol for me. All that said, it is IMHO, the best pocket carry pistol on the market right now. It is easy to shoot it accurately and fast due to an excellent trigger pull and points naturally with its excellent ergonomic design. Despite having extra large hands, I find the 6 round mags to be best for me. YMMV

My suggestion is rent or borrow one and put some rounds down range. What matters is that you like it.

Posts: 2033 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by burnetma:
My suggestion is rent or borrow one and put some rounds down range. What matters is that you like it.

I wish I could. There are no places anywhere near me to do that. I get to waste money buying and selling and trading. Been doing it for years Red Face

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DsWright
posted Hide Post
Mine has never left my pocket other than at the range, or having to go into kids school.

in a desantis pocket holster all day, every day. Super deep conceal.

I run 124gr in it, and carry 124gr HST.

I bought the BRG model with the 7 round and hogue grips, night sites.

comfortable to shoot, much more so than the lighter poly guns for sure. I shoot mainly 1911, so the same manual of arms with my EDC made sense to me. i have no issues with the safety, and am actually glad it is there for pocket carry.

Posts: 1096 | Registered: January 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Ryan Grizzle makes a nice pocket holster for it, covering the safeties. And since I had the right side safety removed, this holster makes it perfect for pocket carry.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
^^^^^

VERY nice! Cool

I do like my P938SAS quite a bit. I put the rubber Hogue grips on it, and am pleased with the change.

My only issue with my 938 is that I've put it together incorrectly a couple of times. Yes, the fault there is mine, rather than the gun's -- I didn't get the takedown pin in place properly.

A friend made me a kydex holster for the 938; it may be come routine-carry soon.

God bless America.

Posts: 13494 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I have one and carry it daily in a DeSantis pocket holster. I think it's a great gun; accurate, easy to carry, light weight, and good ergos. I have the Extreme with the G10 grips and night sights.

The two piece guide rod is a bit odd; it does need to be screwed back together periodically, and the next time I have the gun down for cleaning, I will put a drop of thread locker on it, since it doesn't need to be taken apart for cleaning. In fact, until mine started to come a bit loose, I didn't realize it was a two piece unit.

I'm very happy with the gun, and know three other guys who carry them regularly. All are as happy with theirs as I am with mine.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12774 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I didn't know the guide rod is a two-piece.
Why is that?

God bless America.

Posts: 13494 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello everyone! I also have nothing but praise for the Sig P938. I carry one on a daily basis as a back up gun for my Sig 1911. When I am off duty I carry this little 9mm in my pocket in a desantis pocket holster or in a leather jit holster.I have never had any problems with this little gun. The only problem I have had with the P938 are the magazines. When carrying them I will sometimes have a round strip itself from the magazine in my pocket or magazine holder. I am not sure what causes this but it is not an everyday thing.

Evil Triumphs When Good Men Do Nothing

Posts: 777 | Location: NC | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First 938 scorpion was having serious failure to fire issues. Sig replaced it with a 239.

Bought a second 938, an equinox. It has been flawless, and 100% reliable.

938's in my experience are laserbeam accurate, have almost no muzzleflip (which I think matters a lot more than felt recoil), shoot incredibly soft for the size.

The only annoying thing is how the top round in inserted mags usually fall out when ejecting a full mag.

I think the 938 is overall the best small semi auto carry gun ever made.

I still think a J frame is the best carry gun.

I'm sure the glock is great, I wouldn't personally want something that small in semi auto with no off switch.

-Freq

Posts: 192 | Registered: May 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SteveR2012
posted Hide Post
Love my P938. It has been flawless, and handles any ammunition, including steel cased. It is my usual carry loaded with 124 grain HST's. I use either a Braids pocket holster or a Ryan Grizzle IWB holster. Replaced the Rosewood Grips with the Hogue rubber grips, and this makes the pistol easier to shoot.

Posts: 109 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I prefer it as a small OWB carry. I had to remove the ambi safety before I felt good about it. I also carry it IWB infrequently. For pocket carry, I prefer my LCP or 238.

Posts: 282 | Registered: March 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
legendary_lawman
Picture of prairieviper
posted Hide Post
My P938 Blackwood is my EDC. The only problem I encountered was with the seven round magazine I purchased. After a time, I started experiencing the magazine dropping (not an uncommon problem with the P938). I could have sent the gun back to SIG for repair but my fix was just to use the six round magazines. At 1800 plus rounds and going on two years now, the P938 had been flawless.

"In God We Trust"

Posts: 1992 | Location: Central USA - Cornfields & Cows | Registered: May 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
My only issue with my 938 is that I've put it together incorrectly a couple of times. Yes, the fault there is mine, rather than the gun's -- I didn't get the takedown pin in place properly.

That used to happen to me, too, until I read a hint here in some thread. When you start putting the slide back, just after you have to push the ejector forward so it clears the slide, keep looking at the hole where the takedown pin/slide catch will go, and you will notice the elongated hole below the barrel appear. Put the takedown pin in at this point. It won't go all the way through, obviously, but it assures correct lineup when you do get the slide further back and can push it all the way in place. I've never had the assembly problem since I started doing it this way.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:

That used to happen to me, too, until I read a hint here in some thread. When you start putting the slide back, just after you have to push the ejector forward so it clears the slide, keep looking at the hole where the takedown pin/slide catch will go, and you will notice the elongated hole below the barrel appear. Put the takedown pin in at this point. It won't go all the way through, obviously, but it assures correct lineup when you do get the slide further back and can push it all the way in place. I've never had the assembly problem since I started doing it this way.

I'm a little confused. How do you reassemble the slide and takedown pin incorrectly? The pin won't snap in place if it isn't lined up with round takedown notch on the slide, right? Am I missing something here?

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have two 938s. 100% reliable with a variety of FMJ and JHP ammo. Key question to ask yourself is what trigger / safety options do you want? SA trigger and manual safety? Go with the 938.

Posts: 694 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post