SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    SHOT 2016 Day Two: SIG (pistols, rifles), IWI X95, DT MDR, ETC
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SHOT 2016 Day Two: SIG (pistols, rifles), IWI X95, DT MDR, ETC Login/Join 
Picture of WildSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Yuns:
I hate to be constantly negative about Sig at SHOT because they are one of my favorite pistol manufacturers but the following statement concerned me greatly:

So they are going to make X series pistols but they are not going to use any of the experienced talent at the Mastershop and they are not going to use the existing processes. They had to reverse engineer the X series like a clone manufacturer.

This explanation from the thread colt_saa put together in the lounge may give a little more insight into the issue.

quote:
Originally posted by colt_saa:
SIG's fine family of X-Pistols have been missing from the market for more than a year now. We all have heard that the German Government stopped SIG's exportation of firearms. There have been rumors as to why which I will not go into here. The thing that most of us never realized is that not only have the export of products been stopped, but also all intellectual property. This means blue prints, CNC code, etc.

So while SIG here in the US was working on projects that had been on the schedule for years, they also now had to recreate all of the blue prints and documentation for the X-family and then have new CNC code produced.

Well that task is at a stage where SIG is ready to assign a production team to put three models back into the product lineup. This is not just the pistols, but the necessary accessories as well.

Unofficially, we could be seeing X-pistols by the mid summer and possibly at a lower price point that the German guns since currency exchange is no longer in the picture. Smile

It sounds like their hands were tied in getting the existing information over here as far as the guns are concerned. As far as the experienced talent from the Mastershop goes they may have asked some of them to relocate to the United States and were told to take a flying leap. Would you want to uproot your family and move half way around the world?

Posts: 2194 | Location: Southern Minnesota | Registered: March 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great coverage, thank you! Can you tell me if the MDR bolt locks open on an empty mag?

"Living among the enemy behind the Tofu Curtain"

Posts: 1845 | Location: California, USA | Registered: January 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LDD:
Compact and Fullsize P320s with manual safeties are slated for release February 2016.

LDD,

Thanks for this news. I have been waiting for these for long time. Were there any other details in regards to the 320 with manual safeties? Different frames or slides?

Posts: 400 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: September 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
Man ohhh man. I'm really diggin' that Mega .308!

It looks tough! Cool

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

GCO member

Posts: 6514 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by FenderBender:
outstanding as always LDD

sphinx and vector were at the KRISS booth Wink

I forgot Kriss is the umbrella brand for Vector and Sphinx Red Face

I did get the answer to Pulicord's question, but it includes a diagram, so I will post it with the other pickups/requests.

You are "The MAN"! Thanks in advance for the assistance!!! Smile

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 8203 | Location: So CA | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your coverage is just brilliant. All the questions we've thought of, and the ones we never would, and answered clearly. Seriously, you have a gift for trade show reporting which many people simply get overwhelmed by.

But amongst all the info is this nugget

quote:

Recent MPX carbines have been released with tinny three prong flash hiders. This proved to be unpopular with many users. Going forward, MPX carbines will all have closed end flash hiders (elongated A2 style). Additionally Jon wouldn’t garuantee function on 15” bbls that were cut down due to the smaller gas port sizes on the carbine bbls. Also, suppressing a 15” bbl would also cause gas pressure issues. I asked if he had a figure for how shoort the bbl could be cut before encountering issues and he asked me to email him and he’d try to get the figures, so that’s on my list. This unfortunately means that the MPX-Carbine is not a shortcut to SBRing (I had to explain the form 1 vs form 4 timing issue to him, but he got it once I laid out the wait and dealer transfer timing issues).

That seriously could not have been any more timely. I was planning on picking up an MPX carbine tomorrow with plans of cutting it down to 8" and hiding my TiRant under the rail.

So I guess the question now is, could one easily enlarge the gas port to compensate?

Posts: 151 | Location: St Louis, MO | Registered: June 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I got a Million of 'em!
posted Hide Post
Thanks LDD.

Disappointed to hear about your impressions of X95. Here's hoping the MDR turns out as good as it looks.

Posts: 7720 | Location: Hiram, GA. | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nick:
Great coverage, thank you! Can you tell me if the MDR bolt locks open on an empty mag?

It does lock open on an empty magazine.

quote:
originally by gordynismo: Were there any other details in regards to the 320 with manual safeties? Different frames or slides?

No other options, just what was on the wall. The 320 manual safety is going to be a very limited subline of the 320 family. It is inherently incompatible with the rest of the 320s, so it's likely that options for these guns will be kept few and simple.

SIG is just trying to get the guns out there (actually haven't released yet, will release in Feb) so it's impossible to say what else they have--they will take a wait-and-see approach.

There was speculation about an RX version, but it would all depend on perceived interest/units sold.

quote:
Originally by TurboFC3S:
So I guess the question now is, could one easily enlarge the gas port to compensate?

I need to email Jon Brasseur and see if I can get figures for exactly how short the 15" bbl can be cut, but my guess is that enlarging the gas port is not an option since that would require removing the gas block. It's probably possible, but since it was never designed to be removed, there's most likely a really involved procedure to get it done (and removing the gas block might make it very difficult if not impossible to reinstall, e.g. if there are taper pins that need to be drilled out). It's also not a gas block removal is not a user-level procedure so doing so would void your warranty.

Posts: 16912 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spinnin' Chain
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
Thanks again LDD.

Very much enjoyed the work on the Desert Tech offerings. I see they have MSRP pricing on their website and preorder. So, no longer vaporware... Smile

Posts: 2782 | Location: Oregun | Registered: August 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
Really cool to see the variety. Awesome job LDD, thank you.

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6081 | Location: S.W. Virginia - Central Kentucky | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of deadmanmike
posted Hide Post
Awesome coverage LDD, I too was looking for the MCX-MR.. Where did you eventually find out it was?

=============
Certified Sig P-Series Armorer
Certified AR-15/M16/M4 Armorer
Certified 1911 Armorer
Certified Glock Armorer
Certified Sig P320 Armorer
Certified Glock Advanced Armorer

Posts: 1469 | Registered: June 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
About the frames with manual safeties i found this from last year,looks like frames have a cut out for the safty to slide into

http://gearscout.militarytimes...er-p320-mhs-edition/

Scroll down and look at the picture with all the conponents and it may give you an idea. Though this was last years model ideas

Oh and if they win the new military contract that uses the thumb safety i bet we see alot of them for sale in all configs

Posts: 520 | Location: Pearland, Texas | Registered: February 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mhughes:
About the frames with manual safeties i found this from last year,looks like frames have a cut out for the safty to slide into

http://gearscout.militarytimes...er-p320-mhs-edition/

Scroll down and look at the picture with all the conponents and it may give you an idea. Though this was last years model ideas

Oh and if they win the new military contract that uses the thumb safety i bet we see alot of them for sale in all configs

This is an excellent find. Thank you very much!

Posts: 400 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: September 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
LDD thank you for another excellent article.

In reading your comments on the MPX it sounds like Sig is still refining their product. As someone who is potentially interesting in buying one would you reccomend postponing the purchase until they address the issues you mentioned? If so, do you have any idea when that might be?
Thanks again.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Building high performance custom homes on beautiful Smith Mt. Lake, VA
www.PDandM.com

Posts: 3150 | Location: SML & OBX | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
LDD thank you for another excellent article.

In reading your comments on the MPX it sounds like Sig is still refining their product. As someone who is potentially interesting in buying one would you reccomend postponing the purchase until they address the issues you mentioned? If so, do you have any idea when that might be?
Thanks again.

What issues are you referring to?

THE SIGGUY
Picture of SIGGUY (THE 1ST)
posted Hide Post
Great write up LDD! I worked with Jon and his wife at Thermal Dynamics back until he big layoff in 2009. I should look him up!

-------------------------------------------------------2/28/2015 ~ Rest in peace Dad. Lt Commander E.G.E. USN Love you.

Posts: 4584 | Location: Great State of NH | Registered: January 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
Any idea if SIG is planning on making all-stainless Legion pistols?

Posts: 1269 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Can you confirm the 320 target grip frame is compatible with the other 320s?

---------------------------------
- "This town reminds me of something in the bible."
- "Which part?"
- "The part right before god gets angry"

Posts: 6790 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
Can you confirm the 320 target grip frame is compatible with the other 320s?

It is compatible with the majority of 320 FCUs (not compatible with manual safety, not sure about .45 FCU).

quote:
Originally posted by Dakor:

Part of the definition of a Legion is the grey PVD finish.

I did not hear anything about an all stainless version. The standard Legions are too new at this point to speculate on what other variations might be supported by SIG.

An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Dakor:

Part of the definition of a Legion is the grey PVD finish.

I did not hear anything about an all stainless version. The standard Legions are too new at this point to speculate on what other variations might be supported by SIG.

Understood on both fronts. Guess I should have been more specific and stated all-stainless construction, as a PVD finish can still be applied to SS. However as you pointed out, it's too early to tell if Sig is going to pursue such.

Posts: 1269 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post