SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    If all arms production stopped tomorrow would you be content with what you have?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If all arms production stopped tomorrow would you be content with what you have? Login/Join 
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted
Hypothetically if something whether war or legal or resource constraints etc. cut off the flow of all arms, assuming ammunition is still available, would you be content with what you have? This isn’t a “cold dead hands” question or a 2nd Revolution thing. It’s simply a what if the resources or industry or whatever could no longer reliably provide you arms even if not due to legal reasons.

Even though most of us are always looking for a new toy or the next best thing etc. and I am no different, I can say that my collection is everything I could ever want, not simply need but WANT.

How about you. What would be your “I am diverting funds to buy X NOW” gun if you have one?

My last one of the above was a TN marked Beretta as I had a MD marked one and I wanted one built in the two places I spent the majority of my life.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, BUT every once and a while there's always ONE MORE. LOLOLOL Something or a new design pops up that you didn't think you needed or wantd, and you just buy it.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think I'm ok in terms of handguns. Not ideal, and not where I'd want to be, but ok.

I don't have any long guns, though. That's probably what I'd get if I could. Probably an AR of some kind. Maybe a shotgun.

I'd also load up on as many mags as I could get for my guns.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd probably make a decent change selling stuff that I don't need.

Posts: 481 | Registered: April 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I'm [jokingly] peeved that I don't have my SP101 yet. Wink

God bless America.

Posts: 13495 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm always buying the last gun I need but I'm pretty well set. Sadly I'm trying to plan like my kids may not get the opportunity to buy what they want. Because they might not.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Hell no! I want that new Steyr A2 handgun!!

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would not have bought a Glock and I will be OK. Wink

I would still need to get:
- AR-15 chambered in 5.56 (I built two 6.8 SPC & a 9mm)
- AK rifle variant
- 5" P220 10mm
- 5" 1911 460 Rowland

The rifles are for ammo flexibility and the pistols are for hunting and giggles.

Posts: 2033 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nope.

I have several guns that I have not got around to shooting yet but there are several more that I want like a CZ TSO, and a Colt SAA in 45 Colt. I could use a couple of more rifles too.

But honestly, if I had 3 safes full, I would not be content. Usually never am. That might explain why I have been married 3 times.

Yeah, I used to have a couple of guns.

Posts: 434 | Location: North Central Ohio | Registered: February 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
If arms production ceased tomorrow, the warehouse stock would still be quite impressive. So too the commercial and secondary markets.

It would take years to actually be a problem.

While I appreciate hypotheticals, the "idea" at the core of this, bugs me as giving into a fantasy of the anti-gunners.

Certainly if you were aware during the 1994 ban you'll understand that you should strike while the iron is hot. That should still be true.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
I just need more primers & powder and I'm good for the rest of my life.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10922 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yes.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Let me rephrase based on ARC’s reply.

If you had no more disposable income for arms or only had enough for one last purchase, would you be content?

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does theis production stop include accessories?

Jim

Posts: 1349 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
completely as long as I had ammo and could get parts. I did handle a g48 today and if they would have made it a 14 rounder I would own it. Smile

Maybe they should ask sig how to make one. Razz

Posts: 5594 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
As long as I could still get ammo and replacement parts I'd be good.

I've got one more (no, really) handgun I'm considering. (I think it's down to either a P229 in 357 Sig or a Sig P210A Target.) But that's it. And I'm waffling on whether or not to do even that.

After that I think it'll be reloading gear, and I'll reload for what I got. If they ever come up with an acceptable HWS for my AR: One of those. Other than those, I don't even have a lot of "accessories" on my list.

The only thing that'd likely move me to purchase another firearm would be if fully-auto firearms were made as easy to obtain and own as semi-autos currently are. Then I'd like to own an MP5.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
I can easily make do with what I already have but would I be content?

Nope.

I tell myself that I don't NEED anymore. I sometimes convince myself that I actually don't WANT anymore. But who am I kidding?

With "new" (i.e., current) gun designs I probably could stop, though I'd still like the G45 and P365. Maybe the VP9 Longslide. And a particular magnum rifle or two. Maybe a Beretta A400 and 1301 as well. But frankly it's older out-of-production designs that has more of my attention, and those aren't impacted directly by any current gun production stoppage, other than I suspect the asking prices will balloon even higher than they do now.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nothing and I mean nothing that has been produced in volume for arms is ever unavailable. It may be expensive, but its available.
I learned in the 1994 ban to have enough consumables. At that time I was shooting lots and breaking lots of stuff. New AR mags <$10 today 10x that then. And don't talk to me about what I paid for preban glock mags. now <$20.
So I now have enough. Would I add more in an ideal world of no fiscal constraints why yes I would. But its totally enough. Contentment is a state of mind. Adequacy for the task is a statement of quantity.
YMMV of course.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sort of a response I guess. Since my likes are much more toward older stuff, I would not mind having to stick with old used stuff. I might be getting into a new type of rifle shooting soon, and would need an appropriate rifle. While I much prefer old classics, I have come to accept that the most practical approach is a new production rifle with modern after market part support, already set up take proper optics, unlike an old classic that would be a search for a mount, possible gunsmithing etc.

Posts: 3288 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No. I still need a .308 gas gun. Either the Larue predatAR, HK MR762 or the FN SCAR heavy. After that then yes.

For ME:
DA/SA= Sig 9mm
Striker fired= Glock 9mm
If it's a .45= 1911
Suppressed= HK in .45
I like anything in 10mm

Posts: 1442 | Location: VA | Registered: July 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post