SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    .40 P229 conversion to 9mm
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.40 P229 conversion to 9mm Login/Join 
posted
What is the best way to do this, that is convert a .40 cal 229 to 9mm?

Posts: 663 | Registered: August 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Barsto barrel is probably the best way to go. Very high quality, not cheap, I believe the barrels are around $225 or so.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's better than $400 for a new slide and barrel from sig! Has anyone used the Barsto barrel? And is it possible to use the .40 mags and spring?

I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
The .40 mags will work for range use. If you are wanting to carry it I would buy a couple 229-1 9mm mags.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
225 for the 9mm barrel and 315 for one threaded

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigM4:
The .40 mags will work for range use. If you are wanting to carry it I would buy a couple 229-1 9mm mags.

I just bought a keltec sub 2000 and i am looking at doing this to have use of like magazines for 2 guns. I have a few 226 mags (will fit sub2k) i use in the 229. And this will mostly be at the range for fun

posted Hide Post
Heck I'm finding p229 in 9mm for about $450... got some thinking to do

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Back in the day, I shot an entire day of Grayguns' Practical Fundamentals class with a 9mm Barsto conversion in my .40 S&W P229. Ran like a champ.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23100 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
THE SIGGUY
Picture of SIGGUY (THE 1ST)
posted Hide Post
Ive had the Barsto's for a 229 and a 226. Both ran flawlessly. Well worth it. I believe it is Irv that I dealt with. Topnotch quality. Best, sigguy (the 1st)

-------------------------------------------------------2/28/2015 ~ Rest in peace Dad. Lt Commander E.G.E. USN Love you.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Great State of NH | Registered: January 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
Back in the day, I shot an entire day of Grayguns' Practical Fundamentals class with a 9mm Barsto conversion in my .40 S&W P229. Ran like a champ.

One of my old roommates ran an entire magazine of 9mm through my .40 once, we only noticed due to the funny looking brass when we were cleaning up...

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGGUY (THE 1ST):
Ive had the Barsto's for a 229 and a 226. Both ran flawlessly. Well worth it. I believe it is Irv that I dealt with. Topnotch quality. Best, sigguy (the 1st)

Pretty sure this is the way I'm gonna go. I put up a WTB add in classifieds first to see if any members have one thwy want to sell

Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
My Sig conversion slide/barrel works perfectly as well, and came with the 9mm that I actually use. Change over takes all of about 30 seconds.

Got excited at first & got a bunch of 40 S&W magazines that work perfectly, made in Italy. However, I have tucked away the 40 stuff as I just don't care for the round.

Don't have any experience with the other barrels mentioned, but did want to give a thumbs up to the Sig conversion.

Posts: 9849 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
A Bar-Sto conversion barrel MAY work without additional tweaking, but it's not guaranteed to be an instant fit. Here's my experience:

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/4820020224

All this being said, Robert Burke fitted the 9mm Bar-Sto barrel perfectly and it shoots absolutely great. Even with Robert's charges on top of the cost of the barrel, I saved at least $50 off what the Sig conversion kit would have cost.

Posts: 4493 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjp:
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:

One of my old roommates ran an entire magazine of 9mm through my .40 once, we only noticed due to the funny looking brass when we were cleaning up...
Not really the same thing. I intentionally installed the conversion barrel and shot the less expensive ammo in the class.

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23100 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What about magazines? 40 or 9mm?

Posts: 5731 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog7972:
What about magazines? 40 or 9mm?

I have BarSto 9mm barrels for both my P229 (40/357) [older one from 1998] and P224 (40/357). Per BarSto they recommend the correct 9mm mag.

The P229 barrel is a drop in and it required no tweaking, but as another said that is not a given, but I also had a BarSto drop in 9mm barrel for a P239 (40/357) that required no tweaking. I doubt I would carry the P229 with the drop in 9mm barrel.

My P224 9mm barrel was custom fit by BarSto and I would not hesitate to carry it.

Regarding BarSto: They are great.

I purchased the P224 barrel as a drop in. No way would it work. Thought it would need tweaking so sent the gun and barrel to BarSto. Turned out the dimensions given to them by SIG were way off and no amount of tweaking would make the barrel work. BarSto used my P224 to make a proper barrel, custom fitting it to my gun. AND, BIG AND, did not charge me for the custom fit since they used my gun to correct the barrel dimensions for future use.

BTW I have no affiliation with BarSto other than the above purchases.

Posts: 118 | Location: Hampton, VA / Salvo, NC | Registered: June 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Ted H, that was very cool of Barsto to customize a barrel for you. Thanks for sharing.

This thread reminded me that I'm way overdue for taking my P229 with Barsto barrel to the range for some 9mm therapy.

posted Hide Post
Ted,
How is the sight regulation in the P229 with the 9mm barrel? Thanks.

Posts: 160 | Location: Iowa | Registered: November 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used EFK Fire Dragon barrels in my 229 and they were a drop in. Also used them in my 226 and they are as accurate as well. Much cheaper.

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sandmatt:
Ted,
How is the sight regulation in the P229 with the 9mm barrel? Thanks.

Good on the 229, comes in a little low at 25 ft but better on the custom fit 224, really nothing noticeable at 25 ft.

Posts: 118 | Location: Hampton, VA / Salvo, NC | Registered: June 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post