SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P320 spontaneous discharge
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P320 spontaneous discharge Login/Join 
Picture of iron chef
posted
A friend sent me this link about some civil lawsuits against Sig regarding their P320. Both lawsuits involve former LEOs who got shot in the leg (i.e., what some ppl like to refer to as 'Glock leg'). It's likely that important details are missing, but as far as one can glean from the article, both P320s fired w/o being touched.

Drop-safety failure is one thing, but discharging w/o any impetus? The hypothetical, "The gun went off on its own," scenario? Confused

SIG Sauer Faces More Lawsuits Over P320 Pistol

Posts: 3183 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Oh, please, not this BS spontaneously went off again. Roll Eyes

Q

Posts: 26322 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have 4 320's. None have every spontaneously discharged. In fact, I have many, many handguns and none have ever discharged without me pulling the trigger. I supposed anything is possible. But it's interesting this never happens at the range, or when they are pointing the gun at a bad guy, or when it's in a safe.

p229Extreme/P226Tac-Ops/P226 Extreme/P226 SAO) P226 X-5 Blue Moon/P226 X-5 Black and White

Posts: 750 | Registered: March 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Oh, please, not this BS spontaneously went off again. Roll Eyes

Look at how big a percentage of current salary the line of duty disability pension is for the agencies involved.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3443 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Somebody local shot himself in the butt with a 365. He was bolstering it. He doesn’t blame it on spontaneous discharge. Says something had to have hit the trigger. He is LEO.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
The second suit, filed in South Carolina, alleges that Thomas Frankenberry was severely injured inside a Chick-fil-A restaurant in 2016 after his P320 discharged “without the trigger or gun being touched.”
Quite simply, this is not credible and not believable.

Posts: 107459 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Don’t they have a firing pin block like almost every other modern pistol? So that would mean both a sear AND the FPBS would have both have to have failed??? Seems like this would be a lottery winning turn of events.

Am I wrong??

Also am I the only one picturing count chockula and Frankenberry as partners in police uniforms?

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7668 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

Posts: 107459 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Every single gun made will spontaneously fire when someone or something depresses the trigger. Or so I’m told.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15546 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I worked investigations of a couple negligent discharge incidents with service firearms where the gun reportedly "just went off". Examination of the firearms proved it was not possible without the trigger being pulled in some manner. There are some cheap junk firearms where this is possible but not with modern service guns in good working order.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
Every single gun made will spontaneously fire when someone or something depresses the trigger. Or so I’m told.

actually I've bought a few that on occasion would not... ammo or gun bad...

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:

actually I've bought a few that on occasion would not... ammo or gun bad...

Ok, if you have to nitpick Big Grin

Every gun made will BY DESIGN spontaneously fire when someone or something depresses the trigger, barring faulty ammunition, unadvisable alterations, or damaged or missing parts, etc.

Point is, the gun didn’t go off on its own in the above mentioned scenario.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15546 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A couple of thoughts on this. I have seen an increase of P320s at IDPA matches. So, guys using P320s in and out of holsters all day and shooting hundreds of rounds with no unintentional discharges. These are "gun people" and they are using proper holsters and such. The P320 does, in my opinion, have a shorter trigger engagement/release compared to other striker fired guns like Glock. When my PD switched from P229/239 to G22/G23 I found one of my guys carrying his G22 stuffed into a leather holster made for his P239, unable to snap the thumb break. The P320 doesn't have a trigger dingus and if it was a P320 instead of a G22 in that holster maybe the P320 could AD where the G22 wouldn't.

DPR

Posts: 656 | Registered: March 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10round:
When my PD switched from P229/239 to G22/G23 I found one of my guys carrying his G22 stuffed into a leather holster made for his P239, unable to snap the thumb break. The P320 doesn't have a trigger dingus and if it was a P320 instead of a G22 in that holster maybe the P320 could AD where the G22 wouldn't.

In fact, there was a ND by a member here on the forum a few months ago that resulted from that very thing... officerdave tried to stuff his P320 into a non-P320 holster that was made for a Springfield XD, and blew off part of his finger in the process: https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...935/m/1160027954/p/1

Posts: 32485 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10round: When my PD switched from P229/239 to G22/G23 I found one of my guys carrying his G22 stuffed into a leather holster made for his P239, unable to snap the thumb break. The P320 doesn't have a trigger dingus and if it was a P320 instead of a G22 in that holster maybe the P320 could AD where the G22 wouldn't.

That makes sense, but sure as heck wouldn't support the lawsuits. Dumbassery is not a manufacturing defect. Of course it "just went off", no one wants to admit they shot themselves in the ass.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I don't believe in guns going off by themselves. But this gun's striker is fully, or almost fully, cocked, is it not? If some weird chain or cascade failure happened to release it without the trigger being pulled, is there enough power to ignite the cartridge? Is such a thing possible? I just want to cover all the bases. (I do have one, a 9mm C, and like it very much. It is my "go-to.")

Posts: 27914 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
I don't believe in guns going off by themselves. But this gun's striker is fully, or almost fully, cocked, is it not? If some weird chain or cascade failure happened to release it without the trigger being pulled, is there enough power to ignite the cartridge? Is such a thing possible? I just want to cover all the bases. (I do have one, a 9mm C, and like it very much. It is my "go-to.")

Yep. It’s not as if a hammer would have to spontaneously cock itself & release while the weapon sits motionless, as with a DA/SA while in decocked status.

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FHHM213:
Yep. It’s not as if a hammer would have to spontaneously cock itself & release while the weapon sits motionless, as with a DA/SA while in decocked status.

No, but without an actual component failure (a broken piece would be found upon inspection), several other parts need to move spontaneously to simulate a trigger pull. Seems a bit unlikely.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
If a firing pin is under spring pressure and could be released without pressing the trigger (as was evidently the case with the P320 prior to the “upgrade”) then of course a more or less spontaneous discharge could occur. That was also evidently the problem with the Remington model 700 rifles that discharged without their triggers being pulled. The question would be whether releasing the firing pin is possible without action of the trigger.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47394 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Depends on your definition of spontaneous. A Clintonesque answer.

https://www.merriam-webster.co...ctionary/spontaneous

Posts: 9491 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post