SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New (SIG) duty pistol
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New (SIG) duty pistol Login/Join 
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
There is that. My gun was impounded as evidence for about a year and a half one time. Didn't much care though. I was carrying a Glock at the timeWink

NRA Life

Posts: 1561 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jac1304
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
I carried a P226-9mm for years then we switched to the P226 in 357SIG. They issued the smaller guns to the detectives And ladies who asked for the 228 229 in 9mm. Just after I retired the dept made the choice and is transitioning to the P226 in 9mm due to ammo costs and not having to requal people when they move to other divisions.

The swat guys all had rail guns and now everyone will have a rail 226. And the ladies with small hands will get the smaller 228&229 inventory they already own.

If I had to buy my own gun, I’d get a Glock 19 with night sights and not worry about it. Because if you ever use it, it will be gone until the court case is over. The glock laying the property room is a lot easier to swallow than my P226.

For the price g19 blue label and call it good, magazines are cheap and parts everywhere. I have had p229, Kimber .45, and we just got mp 2.0 in .40... I just got tired of getting my guns beat up and possibly losing it for a year plus. If you want something super nice legionish.., carry it off-duty. Whatever you want just go get life is too short. Stay safe.

Posts: 908 | Location: Snohomish, WA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TAP:
Since you said you are on a metro (inter-agency?) tac team, do you have to carry a different handgun when on team ops? If so, I'd go with the Sig which is closest to the team gun.
I know our SERT team members all have to carry G17's.

Nope. The team has a mix of G17s and G22s, and FNs and HKs for rifles (all .223). I'd get to use my same pistol and rifle all the time so that's easy.

HossTrader...was thinking the same thing r.e. sights and mags. Glad to hear it's working for you. Am kinda leaning toward just a straight, stock P226 Nitron at this point.

The Glock suggestion is not a bad option, but SIGs just work for me...always had to/have to work a lot harder to shoot my G22 as well as I do my 9mm SIGs.

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
You could put a night sight only on the front.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd say a P320 X-Carry, and that's me already owning a P228.

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 964 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Held a regular Nitron P226 (E2 grips), a P226 Legion (DA/SA), and a P320F today at the store.

Surprisingly, I kinda preferred the regular Nitron P226, which wasn't what I was expecting. I'm a big Hogue G10 fan when it comes to SIGs, but those E2 weren't bad in hand. Not sure how they perform under recoil with sweat/dirt/etc., but they felt pretty good in the store.

The Legion's SA reset was crazy good, but the recessed controls seemed a bit too recessed for me. I didn't feel any significant differences between the DA pulls, though I liked the radius on the Legion trigger. The X-Rays were good, but in comparison the regular Siglites were actually not bad.

The P320 felt good in the hand, but the trigger was both mushy and crunchy...an odd pairing. I liked the short pull and the break point, though. Maybe once broken in it'd be sweet, but if I went that route I'd prefer to have the version with a manual safety. We'll see where I land.

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Can't see why you could not install a short reset on a P226 yourself... not really a trigger job and at least for me on the two 226s I have no need for a trigger job.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
P320 X-carry or P226 Mark 25, would be my choice if I could pick whatever Sig I wanted.

"We beg you, please don't squander one bit of this marvelous life God has given us" 2 Cor. 6:1 The Message

Posts: 774 | Location: FL, USA | Registered: February 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd have to get my hands on the X-Carry and see what that's all about. Supposedly the bees knees of the P320 world, yes?

P226 Mark 25...I'm sure they're great, but I might get a sideways glance from the two guys I know who took the BUD/S trip. Prolly just roll w/the regular P226 anyway as I do everything I can to stay out of the water. Smile

Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
If the P320 X-Carry might be in the running, you might want to look at the P320 Pro Series. It doesn't have the slide lightening cut, the plate/ rear sight are separate, and if you eventually go with a red dot sight, it appears this model can accommodate more than just the Romeo1.

Granted they haven't been released yet, but if you are in no hurry, it might be worth waiting for.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2038 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10-7 leo:
If the P320 X-Carry might be in the running, you might want to look at the P320 Pro Series. It doesn't have the slide lightening cut, the plate/ rear sight are separate, and if you eventually go with a red dot sight, it appears this model can accommodate more than just the Romeo1.

Granted they haven't been released yet, but if you are in no hurry, it might be worth waiting for.

Well that's interesting...first I've heard of this one...must have missed it somehow. Pistol optics will most likely eventually be approved, but for now they are not, but I like the idea of having that option already on the pistol, AND, of having the rear sight not be part of the removable optic plate.

I wonder when this is being released...didn't see much online...

posted Hide Post
Compared a P320 X-Carry to a Legion today....I must say, the X-Carry was mighty comfortable in hand. Not sure I'd go for it as a duty weapon quite yet, but I can see owning a Pro Series for sure. I've always liked the regular P320 frame, but the X-Carry just felt "right" in hand, immediately.

Also, held a P226 Mk25, but the DA pull seemed WAY stiffer/heavier than the regular P226s I've held. Odd.

That said, I'm leaning heavily toward a regular P226 in 9mm. However, I'm not sold on the E2 grips and how they push the web of my hand lower relative to the bore. I like the E2's circumference and overall shape, but would prefer a non-E2 grip in the end. Does anyone know if SIG still sells the regular old P226 in 9mm but with the regular grips?

posted Hide Post
Hi all,

My most recent duty carry was a beautiful Sig TacOps in .40 cal. It is the most accurate Sig I own, and is capable of better groupings than I can shoot. I added some beautiful Hogue grips, and honestly felt it was the best duty gun I ever carried. I have since retired, and I miss being able to carry it, as it's usually too big for concealed carry. But it was, for me, the best of all worlds. A good caliber, fantastic trigger pull, high enough capacity (61 rounds w/gun/duty belt), and a grip that fit me perfectly.

I also had the good fortune of being able to carry virtually any quality duty weapon. I guess I'm not a purist though, as I like and own most all the brands. Since retiring, I've been carrying my S&W Compact 2.0 in 9mm, a matching Shield in 9mm and a 9C. Each one of those have proven to be excellent concealed carry weapons.

JJ

Hot and Sunny SoCal, T-shirt and shorts 85% of the year!

Posts: 274 | Registered: July 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of onpointgun
posted Hide Post
I am another supporter of the Sig X-Carry.

I will be swift in my attack. My venom is packed with enough pride and gun powder to take down
any adversary that attempts to tread on my freedom. You've been warned, but if you
still want to test me, take a step forward.

Posts: 2033 | Location: ON THE YELLOW BRICK ROAD | Registered: February 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was really considering this:

https://www.cdnnsports.com/sig...-enhanced-elite.html

until I noticed they raised the price by $100 between last night when I started my shift, and just now when I checked. Had one in my cart too...was going to re-evaluate in the morning. Oh well.

He who hesitates is lost, apparently.

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
To me, given your criteria, there are only two real choices. As much as the "marketing vibe" might bother you, the P226/9 Legion is the heat. The guns really need nothing other than maybe a little cleaning up and bullets. The sights zero nicely at 25 yards, and the GGI trigger is awesome for better leverage. Why try to reinvent the wheel when a good package already exists.

The second choice is the P320 X Carry. It is the absolute best balance of the P320 series in my opinion. The magwell is much better than the standard, and the gun is absolutely shootable. I ran 5 back to back FAST Drills today sub 4.20 with an "DHS" set up gun (X carry grip, compact slide, flat trigger). That configuration gun shoots as good as a full size, and to me has a much better balance. My draw times at 25 yards are slightly better with the X Carry than full size. My average draws today at 25 on a 5x5 piece of steel were 1.35-1.40 seconds. Average reload doing one and one drills were around 1.3-1.4 shot to shot.

Those would be my two choices based upon the need, and what you get for the buck.

Both really like 147 grain ammo, but they'll like whatever you shoot.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the change, that sounds like s nice policy regarding what you can carry. How big is your agency?

We are switching from 15+ year old P229 DAKs in .40 to M&P9 M2.0s with TLR1HLs, and we are dumping our 1033 Program Vietnam-era M16s (modifier for semi auto only) for DD MK18s with YHM Turbo suppressors. Super jazzed for our changes.

Edit to add: if your SP2022 has the standard light rail, not the picatinny rail, they DO make duty holsters for that gun with a TLR1HL...

http://www.safariland.com/hols...ListText&prefv3=none

May our caskets be made of hundred-year oak, and may we plant those trees tomorrow.

Posts: 811 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: January 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
To me, given your criteria, there are only two real choices. As much as the "marketing vibe" might bother you, the P226/9 Legion is the heat. The guns really need nothing other than maybe a little cleaning up and bullets. The sights zero nicely at 25 yards, and the GGI trigger is awesome for better leverage. Why try to reinvent the wheel when a good package already exists.

The second choice is the P320 X Carry. It is the absolute best balance of the P320 series in my opinion. The magwell is much better than the standard, and the gun is absolutely shootable. I ran 5 back to back FAST Drills today sub 4.20 with an "DHS" set up gun (X carry grip, compact slide, flat trigger). That configuration gun shoots as good as a full size, and to me has a much better balance. My draw times at 25 yards are slightly better with the X Carry than full size. My average draws today at 25 on a 5x5 piece of steel were 1.35-1.40 seconds. Average reload doing one and one drills were around 1.3-1.4 shot to shot.

Those would be my two choices based upon the need, and what you get for the buck.

Both really like 147 grain ammo, but they'll like whatever you shoot.

Thanks for the post. Your input means a lot. I'll give those two another look.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Revolution37:
Congrats on the change, that sounds like s nice policy regarding what you can carry. How big is your agency?

We are switching from 15+ year old P229 DAKs in .40 to M&P9 M2.0s with TLR1HLs, and we are dumping our 1033 Program Vietnam-era M16s (modifier for semi auto only) for DD MK18s with YHM Turbo suppressors. Super jazzed for our changes.

Edit to add: if your SP2022 has the standard light rail, not the picatinny rail, they DO make duty holsters for that gun with a TLR1HL...

Smaller agency, about 100 on the LE side, about 400 on the corrections side.

Good deal on your switch...it's nice to have options, and nice to get gear up to contemporary standards. Good rifles you have there. Smile

My SP2022 has the 1913 rail on it, so not sure if that'll work. In reality, I wouldn't be opposed to carrying it, just would prefer to have the same ALS/SLS holster if possible. I'll dig around the Safariland site a bit more.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dehughes:
quote:
Originally posted by Revolution37:

Smaller agency, about 100 on the LE side, about 400 on the corrections side.

Good deal on your switch...it's nice to have options, and nice to get gear up to contemporary standards. Good rifles you have there. Smile

My SP2022 has the 1913 rail on it, so not sure if that'll work. In reality, I wouldn't be opposed to carrying it, just would prefer to have the same ALS/SLS holster if possible. I'll dig around the Safariland site a bit more.

Checked already, they don’t make a holster for the 2022 with the 1913 rail with a light equipped. Shame.

Highly suggest the updated 7360 over the 6360 for your ALS/SLS Holster. Took a good thing and made it great.

May our caskets be made of hundred-year oak, and may we plant those trees tomorrow.

Posts: 811 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: January 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post