SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New (SIG) duty pistol
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New (SIG) duty pistol Login/Join 
posted
Dream came true...according to our armorer Sgt., my agency will in short order be allowing us to carry pistols from the "major manufacturers" in either 9mm., .40 S&W, or .45 ACP!!!

Never thought I'd hear that...was preparing myself for an agency-wide switch to the Glock 17 as the new issued sidearm and figured that'd be an incremental improvement over my currently issued Gen 4 Glock 22, but now this! I'm super excited. It's like looking forward to Christmas (I don't get out much).

My first thought was to use one of my existing SIGs. Have some good ones, but all have bar/dot sights. No night sights. While I prefer the old-school SIG bar/dot sights, for LE work nowadays I see the value in a good set of night sights AND a light. So, I'd either have to install sights on one of mine, or just get a new/different pistol outright.

Was thinking either 229, 226, or 320 in 9mm. Have a 229 in 9mm, but it has bar/dots and I kinda like that pistol as-is. Don't have a 226, and figured the extra capacity and sight radius would bring it closer to my G22 in those areas, and everyone seems to think the 226 is the definitive SIG, so probably worth considering. The 320 is the new kid on the block and the ergos seem dandy, but have yet to shoot one, and there is just SOMETHING about the DA/SA setup that just works for my hands/brain.

Currently on night shift patrol and metro SWAT. Don't at present have need for this pistol to double-duty as off duty/concealed/etc...they allow us to qual with a backup/off duty option that can be smaller if needed, so that's an option in the future, but I've already qual'd on a Ruger LCR and a SP2022 in 9mm as options for off duty/concealed so those bases are covered for now.

I'd love to carry my SP2022, but good luck finding a Level III holster for that and a TLR-1HL. I'd like to stick with Safariland if possible, as I have a lot of muscle memory invested in their ALS/SLS system and it's an easy swap on the drop holster once I go SIG.

But yes, if any of you have cycled through some/all of these models in a LE context, I'd love to get your take. Figure G10 grips, a trigger job, and some decent sights on a "regular" P226/229 would in short order get such a pistol into Legion territory, so maybe that's an option as well, even though, frankly, I don't care for the marketing vibe for the Legion series though I do admit they seem like a superior product over the "regular" P226/229.

Help me spend money, please and thanks.

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
I'd stay away from trigger jobs on a duty weapon. My department won't allow it and we can carry a wide variety of weapons. You guys on the street have enough bullshit to deal with from the public. Just my opinion, not arguing etc.

That said, why not jump on a Legion or Elite P229 or P226. You can add whatever grips you want, and both have the SRT kit installed. Sig's SRT kit installed is about as good of a trigger job than I could ever want. My M11-A1 and my P220 Carry triggers are amazeaballs stock.

I prefer a smaller P229, but if I ever go back to the road, I will carry a P226 with 4 18 round Meg-Gar mags and a half dozen or more 20's in my bug out bag.

When I first got into LEO (2000) my department allowed me to carry basically whatever I wanted. I opted for a Delta. After I broke it, I went with a Glock 20. About 2 years later we standardized with P226's in 40. That is where my love affair with the Sig started. Never looked back. Now that I am with the current department and we can carry what we want (within reason), I would still carry a P226 over anything made today.

Posts: 1363 | Location: OK | Registered: April 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting. Thanks. Good point about the trigger job, but figured I'd send it to Robert Burke being as he's a certified SIG armorer, which would satisfy policy. But yes, something to consider.

I'll have to look into the Elite...not too familiar with them.

One other plus for the Legion is the X Ray sights. Co-worker has a 365 and holding one of those...man...I love those sights.

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
We were issued SIG P220/45 or P226/9. I'm now retired but if I were still working I'd have no problem with a P320...in any caliber. Capacity, accuracy, and reliability. And should it get damaged on duty, it's not going to break the bank like a Legion to repair or replace.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dehughes:
Interesting. Thanks. Good point about the trigger job, but figured I'd send it to Robert Burke being as he's a certified SIG armorer, which would satisfy policy. But yes, something to consider.

I'll have to look into the Elite...not too familiar with them.

One other plus for the Legion is the X Ray sights. Co-worker has a 365 and holding one of those...man...I love those sights.

If the department will allow Burke to work his magic, and legal says it's a go, I'd say jump

I love the X-Ray's. I have them on my P226 Legion, P320, P220 and will eventually get a set for my M11-A1 when they dim out.

Posts: 1363 | Location: OK | Registered: April 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a big fan of the Sig/bar dot sights. It has annoyed me that there isn't a night sight alternative that has at least a similar setup. Recently I discovered XS sights and I put the DXT Standard Dot sights on a glock. It's not exactly the same as the bar/dot, but it is fairly close. I find that I'm quicker and more accurate with this setup as opposed to 3 dot sights. The rear bar isn't as large or as bright as I would like. When the night sights on my sigs finally die I'll replace them with the DXT sights.

Posts: 13 | Registered: September 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dc54
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the 320 XCarry. Great stock Trigger and high capacity for the size. Nice stock sights too.

Sigs, HKs, 1911s, Berettas, Glocks and SW revolvers

Posts: 1034 | Location: GA | Registered: February 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
I carried a P226-9 on duty. I didn't care for it jamming me in the side every time I got in the cruiser. When I was able, I got hold of P228. It was friendlier to my side.

I echo what az4783054 said about the P320 and would choose a compact or carry version.

I am as accurate with the P320 as I was with either the P226 or P228.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2038 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I say stick with issued weapon but if I could be issued/carry whatever it'd be a hard choice between a P320 or 226. My issued firearm is a G22 gen 4. My competition (IDPA/USPSA) gun is a P320 FS and I have P226 pulling HD duty in my nightstand.

DPR

Posts: 656 | Registered: March 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
We'd always carried revolvers. But back in the mid '80s our department authorized use of 9MM semi-autos. I would have bet the department would never authorize a semi-auto as a primary weapon. NEVER! This, since the rangemaster was a died-in-the-wool revolver man. One of the guns authorized was the P226. I carried one for several years. I cannot recall any malfunctions or issues of any kind with that pistol. If they been available and authorized, I'd would have just as happily carried a P220, P228 or P229. Never an issue with those models either. I can't comment on the P320, no experience with that one.

NRA Life

Posts: 1565 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My dept. carried the 229 in .40 for many years. If I found myself in your position, I would go P229. In either 40 or 357. 9mm works too.
Its intermediate size, capacity and power make it a good choice for not only duty rig carry, but off duty or plain clothes work too. Lots of holster available too. I just got a killer deal on a CPO P229 for $450 and it is flawless.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16091 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You are one lucky son of a gun to be able to carry what you want and are comfortable with.

I have read a few agencies going this route, or allowing Officers to choose from an approved list.

It is also amazing they are letting you choose the caliber of your choice.

I carried a P229 (chambered in .40) on duty for many years. It was a plane jane weapon with Trijicon night sights. It was my favorite pistol then and it is to this day. I have one as my night stand gun and when I go to training or traveling it goes with me. To this day if I am given the chance to choose my duty weapon, I will go to the P229 every time.

The only thing I would have done differently is used orange inserts and not the green on the night sights.

During the Police Academy (2002) we had a class that was given by one of the Commonwealth Attorneys. It was based around carrying off duty, personal approved weapons such as the M4/AR15 etc.. He advised us from making any customized modifications to the firearms such as getting the triggers worked on. He stated that if something happened whether on duty or off it could give defense/civil litigation attorneys ammo to use against you in court.

I was always advised that if any work needed to be done let the Agency armorer do it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mrapteam666,

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10-7 leo:
I carried a P226-9 on duty. I didn't care for it jamming me in the side every time I got in the cruiser. When I was able, I got hold of P228. It was friendlier to my side.

I echo what az4783054 said about the P320 and would choose a compact or carry version.

I am as accurate with the P320 as I was with either the P226 or P228.

Hey man! I believe I purchased your P239 a couple years ago...that pistol is still one of the, if not THE gun I shoot the most accurately. Thanks again.

I'm running a drop holster, so the size shouldn't be an issue for me.

Yeah, modifications other than night sights have to be approved by the agency head armorer. Many of my co-workers don't care about modifying their weapon system, but some of us focus more on improving/maximizing our platform. If I go Legion, it sounds like there's really nothing to be done anyway. I'll have to do the $$$ math regarding Legion vs. regular + whatever upgrades I'd like.

Looking at the P320, it sure is attractive price-wise by comparison to the 226/229. I'll have to find one to shoot and see how it feels, but part of me just wants to stick with ONE system...either DA/SA or striker...for both on/off duty, as right now that's not the case.

The 226/229 option, for me, has to do more with balance, recoil impulse, how flat the gun shoots (muzzle flip), and such. Weight and dimensions aren't of primary concern. Whichever one I choose will be wearing a TLR-1HL so that will shift the balance point, etc... I've only once shot a 9mm P226 years ago, and that was in brief comparison to my (first) SP2022 in 9mm. Didn't feel a world of difference at the time, which I suppose is a compliment as I REALLY DO LIKE my SP2022.

I'll hit up the local gun store this week and get my hands on a bunch of options and try to form a more concrete plan. I'm not opposed to buying used or CPO as well, really.

Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Does your agency have a policy that says should your privately owned weapon (while on duty) be damaged, lost or stolen that the agency will reimburse you?

Mine didn't which was always a consideration.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
Does your agency have a policy that says should your privately owned weapon (while on duty) be damaged, lost or stolen that the agency will reimburse you?

Mine didn't which was always a consideration.

Nope. Frown We'll see what comes out when they roll out this new firearms policy, though.

Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dehughes:

Hey man! I believe I purchased your P239 a couple years ago...that pistol is still one of the, if not THE gun I shoot the most accurately. Thanks again.

I'm glad to hear it still suits you well!

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2038 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
carried a 226 .40 as a duty weapn. Loved it. Loved the 228 9mm more because of size and weight, but that 226, which i still have, is among the best duty weapons I've ever handled. I did just buy a Glock 19X. Because of the color I call it the poopgun, but it's a good shooter, and a good carry. You might check it out.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TAP
posted Hide Post
Since you said you are on a metro (inter-agency?) tac team, do you have to carry a different handgun when on team ops? If so, I'd go with the Sig which is closest to the team gun.
I know our SERT team members all have to carry G17's.

Posts: 831 | Location: Portland, OR. | Registered: October 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carry a P226 MK25 Threaded barrel with Hogue G10's and a Surefire X300 in a Safariland holster everyday. 2 Mec Gar 20 rounders on the belt with a 18 rounder in the gun. No trigger job. It is a beast. Runs like a champ. I do want to put some X-rays or Dawson fiber optic sights on it. Other than that....It is perfect for me. I made the switch from my KKM'd Glock 34 not too long ago. No regrets. Top Gun Supply will get you a good IOP price as well.

Posts: 492 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: June 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I carried a P226-9mm for years then we switched to the P226 in 357SIG. They issued the smaller guns to the detectives And ladies who asked for the 228 229 in 9mm. Just after I retired the dept made the choice and is transitioning to the P226 in 9mm due to ammo costs and not having to requal people when they move to other divisions.

The swat guys all had rail guns and now everyone will have a rail 226. And the ladies with small hands will get the smaller 228&229 inventory they already own.

If I had to buy my own gun, I’d get a Glock 19 with night sights and not worry about it. Because if you ever use it, it will be gone until the court case is over. The glock laying the property room is a lot easier to swallow than my P226.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11281 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post