SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    HK P30 9MM EARLY IMPRESSIONS / REVIEW
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HK P30 9MM EARLY IMPRESSIONS / REVIEW Login/Join 
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Hmm...I'd rank the USP DA/SA far better than the P30 V3 myself. For me the P30 DA/SA cycle is the worst from the company. I simply don't get why the hell they deemed it necessary to have all of that sloppy trigger takeup after such an already long reset. I've gotten to the point that I can shoot mine reasonably well at speed but damn that was a LOT of rounds spent in training myself for such a marginal reward. Well at least it makes me appreciate the VP9 and strikers in general all the more.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
"barely better" means they're really the same, you know? Wink

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Road goes on forever
and the Party never ends
Picture of Dyingtime
posted Hide Post
Love HK P30 which I got for 800.00. It shoots well and I have no problem with the trigger. Shoot it next to my Glock I can not seem to get any better groups .50 inch at 21 feet. That said I would not sell either. Funny I rarely carry either one. I did same things you did with the USP's as I could not shoot them worth a crap in 9mm.

" The Road goes on forever and the Party never ends"

Posts: 3297 | Location: Blairsville Georgia | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wanted to love my VP9 so badly. On paper it was going to be perfect. But too many years shooting 1911s with a thumbs forward grip and riding the safety causes me to ride the slide lock on the VP9.

Posts: 1283 | Location: TX | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I now have about 5,000 rounds thru a P30 and P30L. The P30 is the decocker only, no safety variant, and the P30 L has the decock and manual safety lever.
They have not malfunctioned, are a breeze to shoot, and are really accurate. Personally, i find the DA/SA triggers to be easy, but i do practice alot with them. (see above and 5,000 round comment).Shoot them as good as my Glocks if not better.
Say what you want about them being "overpriced" but i find them to be very very good weapons.

Posts: 539 | Registered: August 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
The VP9 doesn't suck. I think most folks who are "unhappy" with it are previous HK owners and I think the combination of it being striker fired along with some "perceived" cost cutting drive some of us away.

My particular VP9 was decent striker fired gun. I just think the Glock 17 was a better striker fired gun for all intents and purposes for me. I didn't have any major problems or gripes with it, it just didn't rub my rhubarb so to speak. Big Grin

Also take into consideration for me personally I tend to gravitate more toward my hammer fired stuff and have been moving back that way (No particular tacticool, crotch carrying reason, I just like a good hammer fired gun).

The VP9 had a good trigger. Not as good as its made out to be, but surely better then stock Glock. For me the PPQ is THE STRIKER TRIGGER though. The point is I LOVE the P30 and I didn't really gel with the VP9, doesn't mean it sucked. LOTS and LOTS of folks are VERY happy with their VP9 and frankly seems to have gotten HK back in the game so to speak.

I was mildly satisfied with my VP9 until I bought and installed the Lobos trigger. Made all the difference! I'm not normally a trigger mod guy, but this was the right move.

As to the P30, I bought a P30l because I wanted the longer frame. I really like the gun. It is just right in most ways. Now If Lobos would make a trigger for it, I would be very happy. Smile

How was the install on the Lobos trigger? Easy to do?

There is a thread on a popular HK website in the Library section that gives detailed step by step instructions for disassembly and the reverse. I used that. Now that I've done it once, I could do it twice as fast. It is not hard, but you must be patient and will need the TRS pliers. Trouble is that the gentleman that did the write up got banned and he removed the pix from the thread so it could be harder for someone trying for the first time.

There is a very competent HK armorer there whom I would fully trust to do the work. Teufelshund Tactical is his brand. Anyway, The Lobos trigger is a must do IMO.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29608 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Quick follow up. I ran a box of "dreaded" low powered Blazer Brass 115 grain tonight. I ran it fast and the P30 never missed a beat. Not even a hint of an issue.

I stand by the fact that HKs need a little hot ammo out of the box and then will run most anything.

Just wanted to add to the interwebz data points for anybody looking.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I just thought I would add a quick follow up and addendum to my post.

First unlike my VP9, my P30 continues to impress. I love it. Runs great, feels great, hasn’t missed a beat. If I have any complaints it’s that it is a hair more difficult to hold the slide in the take down position vs the P2000 or other compacts. All that said I love the damn thing.

Now for an addendum. With the current price drop value is now solidly in the 5 camp. 3 Mags, good night sights, the grip modularity and general HK attributes now for the cost of a comparable Glock.....outstanding.

Yeah it’s hammer fired in a striker world.....I totally get that but if you are looking for a hammer fired gun or just want to try something “old school” the P30 kinda rocks on its own merits. With current pricing.....it’s a helluva Gun purchase.

I have a second on the way......cuz....well....that whole Pac-Man Jones in a strip club thing.....well tiger, stripes or some such. Frown

As always take care and shoot safe,
Chris

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a P30L that I’ve owned for quite a while, probably 7-8 years at least. Love the ergos on the P30 more than any other handgun. It just feels great in my hand.

I also have a USP Custom Combat, but I have never really bonded with the USP. No special reason, I just haven’t shot it that much.

Posts: 2838 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gunguru123
posted Hide Post
Love the HK P30 and USP, thus all my HKs are just, all but one are LEM.

Sig P220 Elite Dark, W. German 220/226 Navy/226 Tac Ops/226R Stainless/228/229 Legion/229R/M11-A1D

Glocks, HK, Walther, XDs, etc, etc...

Posts: 1043 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Now that HK has finally dropped the price on the P30 I might finally pick up a V1. I've groused about my V3 a LOT here on the forum (way too much, I think), but I do like and prefer how the light LEM works in comparison. A coworker wants my V3 badly; it might be the time to end my 'suffering' with it and get our rep to order in that V1 for me.

Going back to the original starting post, I have to agree about the P30's ergonomics; it feels more...um...'complete' for lack of a better term than the VP9's. They're very close but the Veep doesn't seem to have the same polish and developed feel as the P30 does right out of the box.

And 12131, here it is months later and I continue to disagree...but then I often don't know what I'm saying or thinking anyways. Big Grin

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My P30's are all Light LEM triggers. I love everything about these guns

Lawrence A Visocky (Larry V)

Posts: 494 | Registered: January 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Excellent Write up.

We have 6 P30s as range guns for our outdoor MWR range, we got them last year. All have functioned fine with magtech 9mm and users of various skill levels. My only gripe with the pistol is the trigger. It is a safe and functional trigger but not spectacular. I like the H&K LEMs better. YMMV.

Posts: 4548 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Something something something dark side. Something something something complete. Big Grin

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Excellent write up. I have 3 p30's, 2 "L" and an sk. I also have 2 vp9's and 8 other hk pistols. I am a fanboy. The p30 is a great gun, the trigger is not great but can be learned to shoot very fast and well. It is a remarkably accurate pistol, I shoot it in uspsa and love it. I think they are worth the money. For most of us we buy tons of guns, so a grand for one gun seems excessive, and if I have 30 guns then yeah, it's pricey. But if this were the only gun I owned and I relied on it to protect me and my house and family and it would last my lifetime and my kids, is a grand really a lot of money? Not to me. I think Hk's do need a break in, the manuals say to use nato ammo. I have found that after a few hundred rounds of strong ammo they will shoot anything reliably. Hks and SIGs are my go to guns.

p229Extreme/P226Tac-Ops/P226 Extreme/P226 SAO) P226 X-5 Blue Moon/P226 X-5 Black and White

Posts: 750 | Registered: March 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
p30 is my overall favorite pistol.

Posts: 1176 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well I must second what many here have written about their P-30s but the one thing I disliked was the trough on the inside of the trigger guard. It really bothered me. Finally I took my brides finger nail file and removed it by filing. Makes the trigger feel so much better. Did that to both my V-1s and V-3s. TBS I also bought a VP9 and a VP40 too. You know this Forum is expensive!

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
I picked up my first P30 about 6 years ago, and ended up trading it towards it as I never shot it. However, I always missed it as the ergos are outstanding and it was just an all-around awesome pistol.

Last year CDNN had the V3 P30L for $799, and with the 4 free mags from HK, it was hard to pass up.

Now, all is right with the world. Big Grin

I lucked out with mine as the out-of-the-box trigger wasn't bad by HK standards.

Posts: 12537 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
Great review. Can the P30 V3 be converted to V1, or vice versa? I’ve never fired the LEM trigger so not sure how much I would like it.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brett B:
Great review. Can the P30 V3 be converted to V1, or vice versa? I’ve never fired the LEM trigger so not sure how much I would like it.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/5910057534

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post