SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    A Screw Question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Screw Question Login/Join 
posted
Just picked up my W German P226 with E2 grips - love it but got some rosewood grips to dress it up. The grips don't come with screws - am I going to need regular 226 grip screws or something longer? Just want to double check because I thought I read someone recommended other screws in this situation. Thanks for the help.

Posts: 183 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: February 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of buggsboy
posted Hide Post
If it turns out you need longer screws, Brownell's can probably help you out. Talk to someone in gunsmith/tech support if you need help getting the right ones.

Posts: 673 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
avoiding birthday parties
Picture of fjgiie
posted Hide Post
Use P239 screws.

Posts: 1366 | Registered: March 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Consider placing o-rings under screw heads for torque retention. Prevents star washer cracking of wooden grip at counterbore.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5050 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished
posted Hide Post
If you get new screws my advice is to test each one individually by slowly manually threading it into the frame without grips. Some time ago I received a set of replacement screws from Brownells and one of them would not thread all the way in. It went about half way down and stopped.

Had I just screwed it in with a screwdriver without checking I think I would have eventually ruined the threads in that hole of the frame.

I don't really know if the screw was defective and this happened quite a while ago but I know I didn't use it.

Posts: 4078 | Location: NC | Registered: December 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most grips will only require standard length screws. I said most, I've seen some "handmade", or "custom" grips that are thick... looked like a smoothed 2x4 stuck on the gun. Obviously some grips like that may need extended length screws.

Posts: 14 | Registered: June 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
I was putting Nill-Griffe logo grips on my example of the same and the standard screws barely thread. Short enough, its a little concerning. I pulled the screws off my P226 Combat and they're a good 2mm longer so any modern 226 screw should suffice if you're wood grips are thick.

I've also had good luck using an end mill bit on a Dremel to create a deeper pocket on a set of Walther PP walnut grips when the screw wouldn't reach the escutcheon. Not ideal but no readily available solutions on that one so I had to improvise.

Posts: 3078 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh... a GRIP screw question. I was all ready to help out.

Posts: 165 | Registered: October 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post