SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Ruger SR1911 10mm Or...?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger SR1911 10mm Or...? Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted
I think I want to add a 10mm to the stable. I think a Ruger SR1911 10mm would be the way to go for me. I have two other 1911s and like the platform.

I'd be tempted by the Sig P220 Elite SAO 10mm except Sig, in their infinite wisdom, discontinued it. Their current 10mm offerings do not interest me.

For the love of all that's holy, please nobody suggest a Glock. Do not like. Will not consider. Thank you for your consideration.

Dan Wesson is a bit out of my range. Springfield's are much heavier and I don't want a "tactical." RIAs do not impress. The Sig 1911s I've fondled did not impress. The Colt Delta Elite might tempt me, save for the partially-supported chamber and lack of integral ramp.

Anything I'm failing to consider?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
The Springfield xdm is interesting I’m leaning towards the Springfield 1911 as my
Next 10mm but I’m also tempted by the sig.

I have the GLOCK g20 and it has been perfect but I would like a longer barrel and thinner grip.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7942 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
The only difference between the camo hunter version of the 10 mm SAO P220 and the Lipsey's
10 mm P220 SAO Stainless Elite is the camo finish and the front sight. A quick bead blast would take care of the camo finish and make the two models virtually the same.

I own the 10mm P220 SAO Stainless Elite, sold my Colt Delta Elite, and would NEVER consider the 10 mm Ruger SR 1911 to be anything close to the SIG in value, durability, or reliability.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1529 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The SIG P220 SAO Elite is a Lipsey gun and is still made I believe. That is why SIG doesn’t catalog it.

Posts: 2551 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kraquin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

I'd be tempted by the Sig P220 Elite SAO 10mm except Sig, in their infinite wisdom, discontinued it.

Would it have to be new?

Posts: 391 | Registered: December 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Per a brief search, there are a few new Elite 10mm SAO’s on Gunbroker, including at Osage.

Also, Sig’s new catalog does indicate the upcoming release of the Legion 10mm in SAO form.

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sprg03-A3:
The SIG P220 SAO Elite is a Lipsey gun and is still made I believe. That is why SIG doesn’t catalog it.

Correct. Osage County Guns carries this model, SIG P220 Stainless Elite SAO.

Be sure to check Gunbroker for guns from Osage, as they sell there as well as their web site. I picked up my P220 Stainless Nitron Elite SAO there at a savings, because no one else bid over their minimum price. IIRC, I got it for $1100. I just happened upon it a couple of hours before the auction was to end.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10782 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kraquin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FHHM213:
Per a brief search, there are a few new Elite 10mm SAO’s on Gunbroker, including at Osage.

Also, Sig’s new catalog does indicate the upcoming release of the Legion 10mm in SAO form.

He may have been referring to the SAO in nitron. Osage listed them as discontinued.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cee_Kamp:
The only difference between the camo hunter version of the 10 mm SAO P220 and the Lipsey's
10 mm P220 SAO Stainless Elite is the camo finish and the front sight. A quick bead blast would take care of the camo finish and make the two models virtually the same.

Yeah... no. Not interested in doing that. But thanks for the suggestion.

quote:
Originally posted by Kraquin:
Would it have to be new?

Not necessarily, but I would want to be able to fondle one before laying down that kind of money. Which brings us to...

quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:
Originally posted by sprg03-A3:

Correct. Osage County Guns carries this model, SIG P220 Stainless Elite SAO.

Ah, that explains it.

I'm disinclined to buy that way. I want to be able to lay my hands on it before buying. So I guess that one's out.

quote:
He may have been referring to the SAO in nitron. Osage listed them as discontinued.

The one that really caught my eye was this one:

OCG lists one in stock. But, as I said: Don't care to buy that way.

Maybe I'll just cruise the LGS' around here and see if anything catches my eye Smile

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions, gents!

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
I've been mulling over the 10mm options for the past two months.

Sig, CZ, Dan Wesson, Colt Delta Elite, Glock 20/40, Ruger SR1911, Wilson Combat Hunter, RIA, Kimber (yes, Kimber), Springfield TRP, Richard Heinie, etc, have caught my eye.

The best choice seems to be the Dan Wesson Razorback/Bruin/Kodiak route. Of course FunBroker has a Kodiak listed for $1750. That's well below retail. I wouldn't mind paying $1850 if I could get two coins to rub together to get it.

Buy once, cry once.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
How about a Glock 2......ahhh just Messing with you. Smile

Are you wedded to semi auto? There are some intriguing 10mm revolver options even within Ruger and that would give you some .40 caliber versatility as well.

All that said I have only shot a buddies Ruger 1911 in .45 but it was a pretty nice 1911 with a pretty good trigger and I had no complaints nor saw any function issues. So assuming that carry’s over to the 10mm I can’t imagine it would be a bad choice.

Beyond that the only 10mms I have shot were from Glock and the early Smith 1076. I never liked the Smith and the Glock was very tame. (Not suggesting just giving my experience)

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7674 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H&K-Guy:
I've been mulling over the 10mm options for the past two months.

I've been mulling them over for about the past year Smile

quote:
CZ, Dan Wesson, Colt Delta Elite, Glock 20/40, Ruger SR1911, Wilson Combat Hunter, RIA, Kimber (yes, Kimber), Springfield TRP, Richard Heinie, etc, have caught my eye.

Sig's not in contention?

quote:
The best choice seems to be the Dan Wesson Razorback/Bruin/Kodiak route. Of course FunBroker has a Kodiak listed for $1750. That's well below retail. I wouldn't mind paying $1850 if I could get two coins to rub together to get it.

That's outside my budget by better than $500.

quote:
Buy once, cry once.

True, but, in addition to the gun there's the holster(s), mag carrier(s), and ammo. May not sound like much, but it adds up quickly.

Advantage of sticking with a 1911 government form factor, for me, is I already have the holster and mag carrier. Any additional I add would be GTG for both my existing 1911 and the 10mm.

quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
How about a Glock 2......ahhh just Messing with you. Smile

Smile

quote:
Are you wedded to semi auto?

Yup.

quote:
All that said I have only shot a buddies Ruger 1911 in .45 but it was a pretty nice 1911 with a pretty good trigger and I had no complaints nor saw any function issues. So assuming that carry’s over to the 10mm I can’t imagine it would be a bad choice.

The SR1911 does usually get good reviews, both in reviews and in user experiences. My 1911 aficionado buddy likes them. They get criticism from some 1911 purists and they had some early issues with the barrel lug cracking, but that's about the only complaints I've seen.

The only reason the P220 is even under consideration is a P220 has long been on my list and I really like that one Lipsey's model. But I don't think that's gonna happen unless one of my LGS' just happens to have one--which is probably pretty unlikely.

Picture of Kraquin
posted Hide Post
quote:

I had eyed that one some months ago when I was looking for them in nitron and it's still there probably because it's at the top end of retail. I had emailed them and asked if they offered a mil discount on it, nope. I eventually found a couple cheaper.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I had eyed that one some months ago when I was looking for them in nitron and it's still there probably because it's at the top end of retail.

That price is pretty much at the top end of my budget. With tax it'd be over. But if I saw one at one of my LGS' and it felt good, I'd probably pull the trigger right on the spot.

Luckily (?), I probably won't be faced with that decision Wink

The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
If you really want “teh sexy” look for a Tangfolio Witness in 10mm...

Should be in budget, and they’re rather nifty...

Posts: 5729 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Ruger 1911 in 10mm is an excellent handgun. Only alteration I made was for a brighter front sight. Very reliable with FMJ and JHPs. For the money hard to beat it.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1552 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I love my 10mm TRP, but it does say “Tactical” on it.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aglifter:
If you really want “teh sexy” look for a Tangfolio Witness in 10mm...

Should be in budget, and they’re rather nifty...

Yeah, I own a Tanfoglio Witness in 10mm. Very well built, but a bit of a handful with 14Rnd doublestack mags.

I was looking for a singlestack that is easier to handle with the hot stuff. I'm still leaning toward the Dan Wesson Kodiak.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For the price the Ruger 10mm is hard to beat.
I've not had much luck with 1911 10mm - Colt Delta Elite and Dan Wesson PM-7. The Delta was OK but had feeding issues. The DW had a pinned on rear sight that tore itself apart (the pin sheared) stripping out the threads for the screw that adjusted sight height.
I now have a P220 Elite SAO and it's a tank. A ton o' gun. Some more practice and then I'm going after those wiley bowling pins.

You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred! - Henry Cabot Henhouse III, aka "SuperChicken"

Posts: 132 | Registered: March 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by abnmacv:
Ruger 1911 in 10mm is an excellent handgun. Only alteration I made was for a brighter front sight. Very reliable with FMJ and JHPs. For the money hard to beat it.

Is your grip safety "rattly?" I've seen several complaints about that. You'd think with the way they tout their CNC production process for that pistol that would not happen.

(Not that it's that big a deal, but it would probably mildly annoy me.)