SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Ruger SR1911 10mm Or...?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger SR1911 10mm Or...? Login/Join 
Picture of Kraquin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigNull:

I now have a P220 Elite SAO and it's a tank. A ton o' gun.

Whippin' that out at the range gets the same reaction as having the biggest dick at a nude beach.

Posts: 391 | Registered: December 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:

I may just decide to hold out for one of those in Nitron.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got a SR1911 in 10mm. It was quite tight when new, but broke in nicely. Handles the full power 10mm loads well. Out of the box trigger is way better than my G20.

Posts: 2838 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Abn556:
Out of the box trigger is way better than my G20.

The triggers on the SR1911s seem to be somewhat variable. Some people report really great triggers, others report not-so-great, creepy triggers. Apparently it's a bit of a crap shoot.

Triggers don't worry me overly. They're usually easily fixed. Though, or course, I'd liefer not have to deal with a trigger job. Only smith I truly trust is way older than me and all the way on the other side of town.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by Abn556:
Out of the box trigger is way better than my G20.

The triggers on the SR1911s seem to be somewhat variable. Some people report really great triggers, others report not-so-great, creepy triggers. Apparently it's a bit of a crap shoot.

Triggers don't worry me overly. They're usually easily fixed. Though, or course, I'd liefer not have to deal with a trigger job. Only smith I truly trust is way older than me and all the way on the other side of town.

If you come across one in person you can try the trigger first. I think either the Ruger or the 220 would be a good 10 mm gun. But you're contemplating 2 totally different feeling guns.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
This is a tough call

I like most all firearms chambered for the 10MM Auto cartridge, even the revolvers

With me it started back in 1990 with a Smith & Wesson 1006 and a Colt Delta Gold Cup . . . But those were about the only choices I had at the time, unless I had big bucks and the will to wait for a Bren

Today we have plenty of firearms to choose from of all makes and designs. Alloy framed pocket 10MMMs to SMGs and Carbines

1911s make a great choice.

Longer barrels make good hunting pistols

While I do not have a 1911 Ruger, I have heard good things about them. If you already like the 1911 platform there is no reason not to stick with it

However we are on the SIGForum so . . .
I have had a 5" SIG P220 for many years now and they are fantastic firearms.

Someone mentioned in another post the Tangfolio pistols. These are great values. They give much better performance than might be expected from pistols with their price tags. They are double stacks, so the grips are larger than many other pistols

The Elite Match is a great entry gun for target shooters and competitors alike. It has a nice two tone look and is reasonable priced.

The Elite Limited is probably my favorite Tangfolio pistol for punching paper.

And then there is the 6" Witness Hunter.

Unfortunately, I love them all

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5176 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
The new Kimber 10mm looks pretty sweet too.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:

It does look sweet, but looks can be deceiving. Kimber's quality seems to be kind of hit-or-miss these days.

What model is that?

Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

It does look sweet, but looks can be deceiving. Kimber's quality seems to be kind of hit-or-miss these days.

What model is that?

It's the new "Rapide" model.
I'd agree in years past they had some issues but I'd put their quality right up there with Ruger or Springfield nowadays. They've really buckled down with their quality department and production procedures.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
If you're committed to 10mm, then get what you like and 'buy once, cry once.'

If 10mm is more something that you want to dabble and experiment with, then sinking well over $1K into a pistol is pretty hefty entry fee.

Most of the guns you mentioned cost twice as much as the Ruger. In my area, the SR1911 in 10mm moves well, and lightly used ones sell for ~$600. P220, DW, Colt, etc are still well over $1K used and hard to sell.

If cost is no object, then ignore the above.

Posts: 3172 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's the new "Rapide" model.
I'd agree in years past they had some issues but I'd put their quality right up there with Ruger or Springfield nowadays. They've really buckled down with their quality department and production procedures.

Ok. Thanks for the lead. Time to do more research. And that's ok. The research is half the fun, I've learned Smile

quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
If you're committed to 10mm, then get what you like and 'buy once, cry once.'

If 10mm is more something that you want to dabble and experiment with, then sinking well over $1K into a pistol is pretty hefty entry fee.

I won't be going "well over" $1k, but I can see going a bit over it.

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I may just decide to hold out for one of those in Nitron.

That's the model I got. The stock grips on that model are bit too aggressive for my liking, so I replaced them with Hogue G10 checkered. I also replaced the front sight with the front from a SIG X-RAY3 set.

I believe all the models are the same gun, with different finishes/grips. With the exception that there are some DA/SA models out there, too. I chose the Nitron model because I just happen to prefer an all black pistol. This was the one I got from Osage, via Gunbroker. I had them send it directly to Robert Burke, saving one hop in the final delivery process. Osage was quite familiar with RB, saying they send many guns directly to him on purchase.

If/when you get one, you will love how it handles recoil forces from full power Underwood ammo. Mine also happens to be the most accurate centerfire pistol I have ever owned.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Well, looks like the Kimber Rapide is out. None of my LGS' have any stock, nor do their distributors. The P220 is almost certainly a non-starter for the same reason. (I didn't even ask.)

At this rate I'll end up with an SR1911 simply for the reason that that's the only thing available.

Or I'll just skip the whole idea entirely.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
If you like 1911's, the Ruger is a proven platform in 45, I'd imagine it'd do just as well with the 10mm. The ones I see are always well made, I remember when they came out, you couldn't find one in stock.

When I made the decision to play with 10MM I went with the G29, since it was what was available, that traded up to the G40, yes I know you don't glock, however I had similar issues finding suitable replacements that were not well over $1000 at the time, the Ruger wasn't an option then. Today, I'd probably consider it a top contender.

There have been several Legion 220's at LGS here and they get a lot of Sigs, we have 3 or 4 mega sig dealers within 100 miles round trip, and two locally. I"ve seen the gun at those shops from time to time.

You may have to get a Ruger locally, or find a way to trust a seller to ship it to you to get what you really want a Sig 220.

Dealers swap iron all the time, make the sale contingent on your inspection upon receipt by your LGS.

Good luck.

Posts: 23240 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well, looks like the Kimber Rapide is out. None of my LGS' have any stock, nor do their distributors. The P220 is almost certainly a non-starter for the same reason. (I didn't even ask.)

At this rate I'll end up with an SR1911 simply for the reason that that's the only thing available.

Do you have a Sportsmans Warehouse near you? The one that came in to replace the Field & Stream carries the SIG 1911 Emperor Scorpion 10mm TV or $1049.

Posts: 2550 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
If you like 1911's, the Ruger is a proven platform in 45, I'd imagine it'd do just as well with the 10mm. The ones I see are always well made, ...

They generally are well-reviewed. My 1911 aficionado friend likes them. (Has two.) I looked at the SR1911 in 9mm when they first came out and it didn't impress. Maybe that's why I've been unable to get truly excited about the 10mm? Dunno.

quote:
... or find a way to trust a seller to ship it to you to get what you really want a Sig 220.

It's not distrust of sellers so much as I don't want to order something I've never seen & touched. I did order my Ruger Blackhawk that way, but then I knew precisely what I'd be getting, as I'd seen and handled plenty of them over the years. Same with my G34.

OTOH: I imagine the Elite 10mm I like feels and behaves like pretty much any other P220, and I have handled, even shot, those. So not such a big gamble.

quote:
Good luck.

Thanks!

quote:
Originally posted by sprg03-A3:
Do you have a Sportsmans Warehouse near you? The one that came in to replace the Field & Stream carries the SIG 1911 Emperor Scorpion 10mm TV or $1049.

I don't know as I'd call it "nearby," but certainly w/in reasonable driving range for the right gun. Thing is: I have fondled a couple of Sig 1911s and didn't care for them. Plus there's no holster compatibility advantage, as their geometry differs from a 1911 government. Not particularly enamored of the idea of an FDE 1911, anyway.

Thanks for the suggestion, though.

posted Hide Post
quote:

I would ask your local gun store to price a 220 for you and put a deposit and order one if you come to a deal, with explicit instructions in writing that you have the right to reject it if the finish/etc. doesn't meet your standards...…..or whichever gun you want.

I wouldn't buy a 10mm Ruger just because that's all that's local. If you didn't like a 9mm SR1911, I highly doubt you'd like a 10mm.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
I would ask your local gun store to price a 220 for you and put a deposit and order one if you come to a deal, ...

Can't. They're not made any more. Only way to get one is "mail order" and use one of my LGS' for my end of the transfer.

quote:
I wouldn't buy a 10mm Ruger just because that's all that's local. If you didn't like a 9mm SR1911, I highly doubt you'd like a 10mm.

I didn't like the 9mm SR1911 because the trigger wasn't all that and because the frame colours were not at all as-pictured on-line. So I looked at two others they had in stock and they were all subtly different from one another in that respect. As was the one they had on rental at their range. It was weird. I actually called Ruger about it and they just kind of shrugged it off. Plus, and I recall not what they were, there were "issues" with them, early on.

There had been a used SR1911 in .45 ACP I liked when I was looking for my first 1911, but that shop was disinterested in my trade-ins.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
I would ask your local gun store to price a 220 for you and put a deposit and order one if you come to a deal, ...

Can't. They're not made any more. Only way to get one is "mail order" and use one of my LGS' for my end of the transfer.

quote:

I didn't like the 9mm SR1911 because the trigger wasn't all that and because the frame colours were not at all as-pictured on-line. So I looked at two others they had in stock and they were all subtly different from one another in that respect. As was the one they had on rental at their range. It was weird. I actually called Ruger about it and they just kind of shrugged it off. Plus, and I recall not what they were, there were "issues" with them, early on.

There had been a used SR1911 in .45 ACP I liked when I was looking for my first 1911, but that shop was disinterested in my trade-ins.

There's your answer, if the range rental is 10mm, rent it and try it at the range and see if you like how a 1911 in 10mm feels.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
There's your answer, if the range rental is 10mm, rent it and try it at the range and see if you like how a 1911 in 10mm feels.

Perhaps I expressed myself poorly. The range Ruger SR1911 was also a 9mm.