SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Have you noticed the interior of Austrian-produced Glock gen5 barrels vs that of US-produced gen5 barrels?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Have you noticed the interior of Austrian-produced Glock gen5 barrels vs that of US-produced gen5 barrels? Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
The GMB- Glock Marksman Barrel- interior of the Austrian-produced examples have a sort of tan color to the rifling. The color begins about an eighth of an inch inside the chamber and ends at the beginning of the muzzle crown. I have a G17, G19 and G26 gen5 and they're all like this. I looked at a US-assembled G26 with a US-produced GMB and the interior of the barrel is jet black.

A while back, I called the Glock US headquarters about this and asked to speak to a technician. The guy who came on the line acted as if he had no idea what I was referring to.

The first gen5 I purchased was the G17 and when I saw the barrel interior, it concerned me, but now with three examples of this, all different models, clearly this has to do with the manufacturing process. Does anyone have any information about this?

I wonder if it has to do with the difference in the process used to finish the Austrian-produced barrels. The one useful piece of information I got from the Glock tech is that the barrels and slides of gen5 pistols are finished using the same process, which, unless I'm missing something, is Melonite.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: parabellum,

Posts: 107257 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Could it simply be copper deposited in the bore during test firing? Does it remain visible after cleaning?

Perhaps the jacketing on the test ammo used in Austria leaves more of a noticeable deposit than the test ammo used in the US.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Nope. When I got the G17 and saw this, I gave the barrel a thorough cleaning, including a copper solvent. Didn't make one iota of difference.

Picture of RioGrande481
posted Hide Post
I wonder if it is a lack of finish, that it is bare metal, or at least incompletely finished?

RioGrande481

“I didn’t get where I am today by everything smelling of Bolivian Unicyclist’s jock straps!”
C.J. Supercut 1976

Posts: 524 | Registered: August 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Could be. Perhaps Glock Austria is plugging the barrels when they finish them. If that's the case, then Glock USA is not plugging the bore when applying finish to the GMB.

Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't a Melonite/DLC treated barrel (rifling) be much better than bare steel?

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now I'm going to have to look when I get home from work.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
Wouldn't a Melonite/DLC treated barrel (rifling) be much better than bare steel?
At this point, I'm not even sure if that's the reason for the coloration of the bore.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Really? No one has noticed this?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Really? No one has noticed this?

well...funny you mention it, but I noticed it. Frankly though, I thought it was copper residue from my plated bullets.

Posts: 148 | Registered: June 29, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is a lot of confusion and misinformation about what Glock treats their steel slide and barrel with. It once was tennifer, now nobody knows.

Posts: 1871 | Registered: June 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Might be butterscotch. Maybe Brach's Caramels.

Again, the thing that gets me is to call Glock and have them say "No, we don't know anything about that." Certainly, there are some shady gun manufacturers out there, or their PR department puts out their truth-obscuring propaganda, but my experience with the Glock facility in Smyrna has been that they are forthright, customer-service oriented and very helpful, so, their response surprises me.

"Let us take a look at it," he said. Well, that's not necessary, because I have three gen5 pistols with Austrian barrels and the bores are identical in color.

For any gen5 owners who are unsure where their barrel was made- Austrian-produced barrels will have the letters "AT" on the chamber hood. US-produced examples will be marked "US".

Picture of drew3630
posted Hide Post
Son of a gun! Both my Gen 5 G17 and G48 have that tan coloration.
To be honest, I never noticed it until now.

Posts: 244 | Location: Northern California | Registered: June 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
I never noticed it, either. After reading this I checked my gen 5 19 with an AT marked barrel and sure enough the caramel color is there.

Posts: 3443 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I will have to look at my G19 Gen 5 the next time I clean it, as I've never noticed it so far.

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RioGrande481:
I wonder if it is a lack of finish, that it is bare metal, or at least incompletely finished?

I cannot imagine an untreated bore being uniformly any color but steel. It sounds like they’re doing something different, finish wise but I can’t imagine what or why.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Could it be a heat color from Melonite treatment?
Steel temper chart shows "yellow-brown" for 490 deg F.

Posts: 3278 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Where are y'all getting the Austrian versions? I don't think I've seen any.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
All of these pistols- whether marked US or Austria- are US-assembled. The only difference is where the major components of these pistols- slide, frame and barrel- are made.

In my case, I sought out pistols which are marked 'Austria' on the left side of the slide. In my experience, if it says Austria on the slide, the pistol will have an Austrian-produced AT-marked barel. If the pistol says 'US' on the left side of the slide, it will have a US-produced US-marked barrel.

My preference always is for Glocks with Austrian components. The only reason I bought a US-marked G42 is because in the US, that's all you're going to find. And yes, I know the old saw of "The CNC machine doesn't know on which side of the ocean it is." Yeah, got it. Glocks should be stamped "Austria" AFAIC. And, by the way, apparently there are differences between US and Austrian Glocks, as evidenced by the subject of this thread.

For the gen5 G17 and G19, I couldn't tell you if there are any US-marked versions, but I know for a fact that there are US-marked G26 gen5 pistols and the bores of those pistols are jet black.

I hurried up and bought these three pistols since Glock is going down the same idiotic, trendy path as other manufacturers, of putting unnecessary forward slide serrations on pistols. Looks like shit and I wanted to avoid that stuff, so I went and found exactly what I wanted.

quote:
Originally posted by Jim Watson:
Could it be a heat color from Melonite treatment?
Steel temper chart shows "yellow-brown" for 490 deg F.
I'm not quailified to answer that question. Maybe we'll hear from someone who is.

posted Hide Post
I have two, month old Glock Austrian made Gen 5 pistols. Both have Austria made barrels, and both had the tan residue or whatever it is, on their barrels lands and grooves. After using copper remover(failed), Kroil oil(over night and then the next day), fire clean, JB bore cleaning compound with a cleaning rod and cotton patches and the Glock nylon cleaning brush at least 50 or more passes through the bore. A brass bore brush probably would have been better/quicker. Anyhow the tan color residue is now completely gone in both **my** barrels bores.I *think* the JB barrel bore cleaning compound and brush *may* have worked the best. Of course your results could vary on this, but this did work for me on my barrels.

Posts: 388 | Location: Ohio | Registered: November 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post