SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    SIG Service vs. Robert Burke: Pros and Cons
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SIG Service vs. Robert Burke: Pros and Cons Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted
The recent thread re the Father's Day special for SIG service has gotten me thinking.

I have a P245, bought it used from a member here.

DA trigger is really heavy compared to my P228 and 9mm P239. It (the P245) could probably use some updating.

For those of you who might have experience with both, what are the pros and cons of SIG's service, vs. Robert Burke, in terms of quality of service, cost, turn-around time, and anything else that I haven't thought of?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30541 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had 6 USP's and P239 dak and Robert Burke is solid. Around three week lead time.

Posts: 1562 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dc54
posted Hide Post
I've sent a couple of guns to Sig for action enhancement. The results have been good, but not consistently great. Robert's work has been consistently great.

Sigs, HKs, 1911s, Berettas, Glocks and SW revolvers

Posts: 1034 | Location: GA | Registered: February 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dc54:
I've sent a couple of guns to Sig for action enhancement. The results have been good, but not consistently great. Robert's work has been consistently great.

That's because Robert is a craftsman/artist and the SIG shop is just gunsmiths. There is a difference.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Once I sent Robert a gun to work on, I won't even consider anyone else. I just think his work is second to none and he has pretty quick turnaround times. Highly recommend him.

Posts: 178 | Registered: May 16, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Robert worked on a P245 for me about 6 mo.s ago. I couldn't be happier with it. Robert is easy to work with good to communicate and keep you up to date on work.

Posts: 449 | Registered: October 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
That's because Robert is a craftsman/artist and the SIG shop is just gunsmiths. There is a difference.

+1

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4250 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
I would recommend Robert, he does very nice work. The SIG action enhancement is ok but not a dramatic improvement over the stock trigger.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10487 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Definitely Burke, I've never had him work on a firearm... but I have shot with him. Very nice, stand up guy.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6994 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Any of my firearm work, goes to Robert. His work is excellent and I believe is a registered Sig Sauer gunsmith, factory approved, etc. So can send your Sig, HK, etc, to someone you don't know who works at their factory or send it to a known quantity, where you have more control over the work being done.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12566 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
PASS ON SIG's SERVICE. I sent them a P228 for the AEP and SRT package. It came back with a D/A trigger that was closer to 19lbs. Our very own Chris Orndorff the moderator of the Pistol section and the SIG Armorer section for SIGforum did the testing. It was also tested by a fellow forum member and compared to various SIG pistols at their store. It was beyond horrible yet SIG told me the pistol was within specifications. They told me that despite that they gave me a courtesy upgrade on the mainspring. Unfortunately, it now has light primer strikes. When I asked SIG about it, they got defensive and told me it was a 20 year old gun. OK. But it didn't have a 19lb trigger and light primer strikes before you all got a hold of it. If it needs a new part OK but SIG should take responsibility for their mistkaes which they apparently aren't willing to do now. For the record, I'm willing to pay if, for instance, I had a broken firing pin or a worn out spring. However, I think I've paid SIG enough that the AEP and the SRT they got my money for should work. Rant off.

Full disclosure, I sat on the pistol for a very very very long time during each trip to and from SIG. That being said, I didn't like their lies about being it being spec. If it needed new parts because of age, OK just don't lie aobut what you did. And for the record, Chris is more than willing to verify his testing and work on the pistol pertaining to the DA issue and the light primer strikes. You can contact him (SIG) via his e-mail on file with the forum.

Posts: 12433 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Texagun
posted Hide Post
I haven't used Sig's service but I have used Robert Burke's service. Since he lives only a short drive from me I hand-carried my P229 to him. I spent about an hour with him and was highly impressed with his knowledge and skill on Sigs. I wouldn't consider taking my Sigs to anyone else. Highly Recommended.

Posts: 333 | Location: North Texas | Registered: March 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
Robert Burke!

Posts: 3248 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
Is this even a real question?

Only one person in the states Id trust to work on this piece. I would have paid more and waited twice long if I had too.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Looks exactly like my 9mm X5 Comp, which also has a Robert Burke action job. I, too, had Robert remove the magwell. I put Hogue G10 checkered grips on mine – tremendous traction improvement. Robert mailed my X5 back to me 18 days after he received it. Communication was prompt, clear, and friendly throughout the process.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8850 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would not send a Sig anywhere other than to Robert. He has worked miracles on many of my guns. I cannot say enough good about the man & his quality work!

Here there is no failure, only varied degrees of success!

Posts: 884 | Location: Carrollton, TX | Registered: August 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Mr. Burke fitted a 9mm and .357 SIG barrels to my .40 All Around a few yrs back. As well as an action job. It came back with an AMAZING trigger. NO comparison to SIG Service. None at all.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tundrav84wd
posted Hide Post
My HK P2000 was Roberts first HK he did. I can tell you this man knows his stuff, and he has turn arounds that are a few weeks,...not months. Also,...something refreshing,..when you call,..you will talk to Robert himself. Hard to find that these days.

Old School German Sigs,....Quality and Reliability you can consistently depend on, right out of the box.

**Remembering 9/11/2001 Celebrating 5/1/2011**

OPUS DEI CUM PECUNIA ALIENUM EFFICEMUS

Posts: 6417 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
Robert has done a half dozen guns for me. Top notch results. Could SIG the same? Maybe, but why risk it?

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll simply second every positive comment on Robert.

Posts: 1417 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: January 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post