SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Is There a Modern Compact 9mm SA/DA Metal Pistol With Safety On DA?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is There a Modern Compact 9mm SA/DA Metal Pistol With Safety On DA? Login/Join 
Picture of ridewv
posted
Looking at getting a CZ 75C but wish the safety functioned when the hammer was down in DA, as well as cocked in SA. What other if any options are out there?

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7098 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
92 Compact?

Safety functions in double action, but not in single (decock). Of course, they're not very compact overall.

What you're otherwise describing is only available on HKs that I can think of, but they're obviously not metal.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Springfield XDE

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
S&W 3913. Doesn't get any better than that. Good luck with your search! Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not metal of course ... but HK P30 ...

Posts: 1417 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: January 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a matte stainless CZ 75 B with trigger work/job (CCGW I believe, I'm the second owner). The safety will engage with the hammer down in DA. I found this mentioned among the CZ aficionados but CZC and CGW DO NOT recommend that you do it. FWIW

Posts: 1417 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: January 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Working for Water
Picture of Chance228
posted Hide Post
Not 100% metal but your best option IMO is the USP compact 9mm in V1. Get yourself a good set of sights and some Robert Burke trigger work and you will have an outstanding defensive firearm that carries well.

Posts: 1051 | Location: Central New Jersey | Registered: February 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
If you want it, you want it, but I'm wondering why? Trigger pull in DA is usually so long and so heavy (usually on the order of 6 lbs. or so) I'd think it all but impossible to have an ND.

That's one of the reasons I like the DAK trigger for a SD pistol.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Beretta 92 Compact just might be what I am looking for, thanks!

Springfield XDE is polymer...

S&W 3913 I'll look into.... but I thought S&W quit making steel/aluminum frame pistols.

I have a P30, my favorite plastic pistol, but I didn't know they made a DA/SA safety version... I'll look into that, thanks!

Posts: 7098 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:

I have a P30, my favorite plastic pistol, but I didn't know they made a DA/SA safety version... I'll look into that, thanks!

I really like mine (P30LS), you can fully manipulate the pistol, all functions, with the safety engaged ... very smoothly.

Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
I prefer the alloy CZ P-01 compact or PCR over the 92 Compact and I'm a Beretta guy. Why? Because though they're both double-stack, thin grips on the CZ make it that much more compact.

Do you want decocker only, cocked and locked or safety on, hammer down DA for carry?

Posts: 3089 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Looking at getting a CZ 75C but wish the safety functioned when the hammer was down in DA, as well as cocked in SA.

As well, to put one of these into DA after chambering a cartridge, which leaves the hammer cocked, you have to lower the hammer by hand.

I can't think offhand of anything currently produced that meets all of your wants. The closest would be a decocking model of CZ like the PCR (my favorite). The lever is located in roughly the same place as a frame-mounted manual safety, is easy to use and lowers the hammer in a very controlled manner.

Posts: 27960 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Walther P88 Compact lets you have DA/SA and the safety block the firing pin allowing you to drop the hammer safely but not automatically like a 92FS. But of course no longer made.

Posts: 3089 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
I also don't fathom the need for a manual safety either. That's (typically) going to be one hell fo a snag on a trigger to inadvertently light off a round on a DA pull.

As well, I personally don't consider a P30 much of a "compact" gun, but if it works for you...the P30SK would be more appropriate when it comes down to size. And yes, those can be had with thumb safeties too.

But I do know of one with a metal frame that does exist: the Arex ReX compact. Its safety does work with the hammer down.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe the EAA Witness allows you to engage the safety with the hammer down.

Posts: 838 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fundman:
I believe the EAA Witness allows you to engage the safety with the hammer down.

You are correct about the safety. There is no decocking feature on a witness. In order to go from SA to DA, you have to manually lower the hammer.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2038 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's not very compact, even in the Compact model, but the AREX has both a mechanical decocker and a thumb safety.
https://fimegroup.com/zero/

"The hammer can be lowered safely by a dual-purpose lever located on the left side of the frame in front of the ambidextrous manual safety catch. The safety catch can be engaged with the hammer in either a cocked or decocked position."

Sort of like a Sig if you combined DA/SA and SAO controls on one gun.

Posts: 3287 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
It'd be nice if the safety also functioned as a decocker, like PPK and Makarov.

posted Hide Post
P30 SKs V3:
Stainless Steel Slide, Polymer Body.
SA/DA
Ambi Safeties
Decocker.

A little chunky, but has removable grip modules to custom fit your needs.

HK Quality/Relieability, but NOT the smallest CCW 9MM and the DA Trigger Pull is heavy.

Hk says it's designed as a LE/Mil concealable back-up.

The V1 Lem Lite version is more to my personal needs/liking with a much better trigger system but no safety and no decocker.

Posts: 957 | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Watson:
It's not very compact, even in the Compact model, but the AREX has both a mechanical decocker and a thumb safety.
https://fimegroup.com/zero/

"The hammer can be lowered safely by a dual-purpose lever located on the left side of the frame in front of the ambidextrous manual safety catch. The safety catch can be engaged with the hammer in either a cocked or decocked position."

Sort of like a Sig if you combined DA/SA and SAO controls on one gun.

Thanks Jim, I hadn't heard of them before. Have you handled any of them?