SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Bought another P365...a hater's perspective
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bought another P365...a hater's perspective Login/Join 
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Then you'll never buy any gun. All makes/models will have some issues. And the internet has the effect of amplifying the negativity, especially if your actively looking for complaints.

quote:
Originally posted by Climb14er:
Talking about P365's and batteries...

I'm still waiting for... FLAWLESS P365 reviews with no issues reported... from... every buyer! This will be an EDC pistol and quite frankly, I'm not looking for any problems at all!

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
Little late on the update, but I took the 365 and a couple other guns to the range two nights ago.

I noticed something interesting, the primer drag seems a good bit less than my earlier model. The extreme close up makes it look worse than it really is. The cases did not exhibit the deep gouging and raised metal from the primer that my March-ish gun exhibited.

I grabbed 5 random casings from the 200 rounds I shot through the 365. one from the first mag (I don't recall which one it was), one from the last mag (again I don't know which one it was) and then three in the middle.

You'll notice that the two on the right barely have any drag. I know for sure that one of those two were towards the end. There was no rime or reason to it. Meaning, it's not like the drag was minimal at first and got worse as I shot. The random sampling showed it was indeed random.

The brass casings are from 115 gr range ammo (I don't recall the brand, I dump them into ammo cans when I buy a case at a time). The nickel casings are from 124 gr. +p federal HST's.

The case on the bottom is one I grabbed from my G43. You can see it's nothing like the 365 drag, but still, the 365 casings show MUCH less primer drag than my first gun.

If folks have newer models (say born on dates of mid September on), I'd be curious if you can post pics of your primer drag. I'm wondering if Sig has corrected something? It's still more prevalent than other guns, but again, it's not the deep gouging that resulted in metal from the primer literally being raised.

Interesting.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Then you'll never buy any gun. All makes/models will have some issues. And the internet has the effect of amplifying the negativity, especially if your actively looking for complaints.

quote:

I'm still waiting for... FLAWLESS P365 reviews with no issues reported... from... every buyer! This will be an EDC pistol and quite frankly, I'm not looking for any problems at all!

That's complete B.S. !!!

I've never had a problem with my Sig P220, Sig P226 Navy, Sig P239, S&W 686, HK USP 9mm, Glock 19, Glock 20SF, Dan Wesson CCO 1911... the list goes on and on.

Both the Sig P320 and Sig P365 have had issues for many!

Posts: 1312 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: November 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

That's complete B.S. !!!

I've never had a problem with my Sig P220, Sig P226 Navy, Sig P239, S&W 686, HK USP 9mm, Glock 19, Glock 20SF, Dan Wesson CCO 1911... the list goes on and on.

Sure, but you demanded flawless performance from EVERY buyer, not just your own sample. I doubt that exists.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just because you haven't had problems doesn't mean no one else has. The idea that someone can manufacture a pistol and none will ever have a problem is silly. Not to mention, the majority of issues with modern pistols seem to be from the owners not knowing how to use/maintain them properly. This internet mantra of a gun must have zero reported failures ever and has to go through a mud and sand torture test to be considered reliable is getting ridiculous. Gun forums are getting almost unreadable with all the nonsense arguments.

p229Extreme/P226Tac-Ops/P226 Extreme/P226 SAO) P226 X-5 Blue Moon/P226 X-5 Black and White

Posts: 750 | Registered: March 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:
quote:

That's complete B.S. !!!

Sure, but you demanded flawless performance from EVERY buyer, not just your own sample. I doubt that exists.

And as I also posted...

"Both the Sig P320 and Sig P365 have had issues for many!"

BTW, when I said... "every"... people take that as the gospel. I just found that the problems with the current regime of Sig P320's and P365's have had an inordinate amount of problems. You want to hold me to the 'every' word that I used, go beat it to death like it's done on the internet forums.

However, I will continue to wait for the problems to get resolved as I like the design of the P365.

Posts: 1312 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: November 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I wonder how much margin SIG has on each P365 and how that has been affected by all the warranty repairs and shipping back and forth. The cheapest price I've seen locally for a new P365 is $499. I know they're selling like hotcakes. But are they going to sell a million of them? And if the first generation had a large number of warranty repairs, that's gotta sting. Why can't they straighten this primer drag or striker issue out? I would think they have a huge financial incentive to do so.

Posts: 3492 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
Based on what I'm seeing, it looks like they've made improvements on the striker drag. I'd like to hear from folks who've recently bought one to see if their primers are better than the earlier guns too?

My guess is that geometry and physics are the root of cause and can't be altered. If they've done what they can to get it better and are maxed out, so be it.

addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Works in progress. That's what every product normally is. Rare that ANYTHING produced, whether a firearm or a particular widget, is so-called 'perfection' from the word 'go'. SIG is apparently making strides at getting the QC in check. Yes I DO wish that their CEO would remember his promise that he made only a few short years ago and work out the bugs in product development before the first gun ever ships to dealers and distributors, but that's not how SIG is today. Or ever will be under his stewardship. Lots to grouse about, but in the end SIG makes it work. I'm thankful that there's plenty of fools...er...willing participants that want to be early adopters so I might choose to benefit later on from their pain and angst.

The minimum one year rule still applies with me when it comes to new guns. Especially those from SIG. HOWEVER if they still are having the same inane issues a good year out from release, well then they've will have likely reached 'dead 'n' buried' status with me.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
There is a difference between rolling product improvements and correcting a defect that could lead to failure (aka a recall).

I think some folks are giving sig waaaaaay too much leash on some of these changes. If they did indeed reduce the primer drag via changes, that’s a recall imo, not a rolling change/improvement.

addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
I never said that a recall wasn't or couldn't be a part of the development cycle of any product. Look at the auto industry; plenty of examples there, yet none of those actually stopped production for a complete mulligan. If the primer drag does prove itself to be an ongoing problem for the lifespan of the gun's strikers then yes, some sort of remediation should be done (as of now I've not seen enough evidence that it is a critical failure point, as much as I might suspect that it will be). For all we know, they may be tuning the current production guns to eliminate/minimize the drag just to stop people from focusing on it as being "an issue".

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I seem to recall saying (and I was FAR from the only one), that this gun needed six months to a year on the market before it was safe to buy one. How long has it been out now?

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
Around 9-10 months...ish

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Honestly at this point I'm still very happy with my G43.

Yeah yeah yeah, having a flush 10rd magazine instead of 6-7 in the G43 would be great, but honestly I carry a G19 more often than not in place of the G43.

If I have spare cash next summer I may try a P365 out, maybe not.

Funny this is I've never heard of a G43 striker breaking at the tip, nor any other Glock. I'm sure it can happen, but I've never heard of it.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:Funny this is I've never heard of a G43 striker breaking at the tip, nor any other Glock. I'm sure it can happen, but I've never heard of it.

I haven't heard about it in a Glock either, but there's a discussion on another forum about a broken striker tip in an M&P 2.0

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Honestly at this point I'm still very happy with my G43.

Yeah yeah yeah, having a flush 10rd magazine instead of 6-7 in the G43 would be great, but honestly I carry a G19 more often than not in place of the G43.

If I have spare cash next summer I may try a P365 out, maybe not.

Funny this is I've never heard of a G43 striker breaking at the tip, nor any other Glock. I'm sure it can happen, but I've never heard of it.

I am a glock guy for sure. I love my 43 and it shoots great with zero issues. That being said the 365 is out of the box checking more boxes than my 43 can. It's smaller and carries more rounds. I shoot it well out of the box and came factory with great night sights.

That being said I still carry the 43 until I can get some more time on the range with the 365, but get it sooner than later and you won't regret it!

Edit: the 43 was 358 ish plus sights and ghost connector to get it where I wanted it.

The sig was 448 and other than a holster I would like to add a 12rd magazine or two. Not far off of price point when you factor in good night sights.

Posts: 272 | Registered: April 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
I wonder how much margin SIG has on each P365 and how that has been affected by all the warranty repairs and shipping back and forth. The cheapest price I've seen locally for a new P365 is $499. I know they're selling like hotcakes. But are they going to sell a million of them? And if the first generation had a large number of warranty repairs, that's gotta sting. Why can't they straighten this primer drag or striker issue out? I would think they have a huge financial incentive to do so.

The way Browning delayed blowback systems work, the recoiling mass (slide) must balance with the recoil force of the cartridge. The recoil spring can only compensate a very small amount. The inertia of the slide is paramount. Putting a lightweight slide with the recoil of a 9mm is going to cause issues with the slide unlocking early, which is directly related to the striker drag. They can engineer a bit of it away by causing the striker to retract quicker, but that won't completely eliminate the problem. Strengthening the striker helps prevent the breakage... Looks like they may have done all they could now from an engineering point. The other "fix" is using lower-recoiling ammo, such as the Federal 150gr HST Micro. I'm thinking it's about time to buy one and stick to low recoil loads.

---------
If you appreciate private ownership of firearms, please join the NRA, before it's too late. (Benefactor Member)

Posts: 77 | Registered: April 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
The grip being a little thicker than my 43 means I soot my 365 better than my 43 despite them being basically the same size and me having much more trigger time with my 43.

No bout, for me, the 365 is the better shooter than the 43...but I can’t on it at this point still.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
The grip being a little thicker than my 43 means I soot my 365 better than my 43 despite them being basically the same size and me having much more trigger time with my 43.

No bout, for me, the 365 is the better shooter than the 43...but I can’t on it at this point still.

This is me. I have owned and shot my 43 for two years now, but even after much range time I still shoot it only moderately well. I shoot my 42 much better. So when I wandered into my LGS Friday they had a P365 in stock with a born on date of 10-22-18 so I bought it.

First range trip Saturday and by the second mag I was shooting it better than I shoot my 43. For a small gun, I love it. My primer drag looks very much like yours. I saved some shells and will try and remember to take a picture tonight.

But, I'm not ready to carry it. The gun ran flawlessly, except for sixth or seventh magazine where I had two rounds where for some reason the trigger did not cock. Without thinking I banged the magazine, slapped the slide and cycled a fresh round (just habit and instinct) so I can't really analyse what happened. The slide also failed to hold open on the last round of that mag, the only time that happened. It was some older 115g BlazerBrass I was using up, so it could have been the old, weaker ammo that caused the problems, but it bothers me. After that I put 130 more rounds though it without incident. 240 rounds total with a mix of ammo.

Hopefully this weekend I will get a chance to test it again at the range with another 200-250 rounds and see what happens. I do want the gun to succeed because I think it is just what I've been looking for.

Posts: 2 | Registered: October 01, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I may be of some help as I have a mid March and a July P365. Both exhibit the same marks on the primers as do my Kahr PM9 and the Shield I sold. As a RSO, I will occasionally pick up a customers spent brass to check as to how clean the inside of the cases are just out of curiosity. Most of the small frame striker fired guns as well as some hammer fired Sigs. have pretty much the same marks with some exceptions even between guns of the same model.
Personally I give it no thought at all as in the last seven years standing behind the firing line, with literally millions or rounds fired, I have yet to see a striker or firing pin break on one of these small framed guns. I am sure it has happened just as surely as a S&W lock will suddenly engage but just not while I am on duty.
Everyone needs to decide for themselves but my P365 has been the only gun on my belt since late March 2018.
My 2¢

Posts: 210 | Registered: February 17, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post