SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Failure To Eject MPX 9mm - a lot.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Failure To Eject MPX 9mm - a lot. Login/Join 
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted
Thread title says it. Multiple FTEs per 30rnd magazine on first range session. 200rnds fired - 50 of Win NATO 124, 100 of Speer Lawman 124, 50 of Remington 115 just to see what happened.

Spent casings either stovepiped or wound up in the chamber with a live round (almost like a double feed).

Oh, and the weapon WOULD NOT chamber a round by dropping the bolt from the catch to save its life, on all five magazines.

Weapon was cleaned (remarkably dirty from test fire) and lubricated prior to shooting.

I'll let the mags break in loaded, and give her another really good cleaning, but...I think this one's going back to the mothership.

Any tricks to care and feeding the MPX? Run her drier, run her wetter, what? Cleaned and lubed with CLP and a little Hoppes #9.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you loaded up a brand new mag and headed to the range, I think that's likely your problem. I had similar issues and then stored loaded mags for a week or two before using. That seemed to take care of it.

Posts: 36 | Location: GA | Registered: June 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have never had this issue with an MPX. The mags run mint out of the box (sample size more than 30) I run my mpx ar wet. But I would load just one round and drop the bolt, if it doesn't feed you have some other issue.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
Puzzling. If it did not chamber a round from the the bolt dropping by the catch it sounds like the mag is not seating properly. I've never a had a problem like that with mine. Nor have I had the FTE issues you describe; Speer & Blaser 124gr. I tend to run mine a little wetter than most I presume.

Another try or two and back to the glue factory if things don't improve.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
Mine had run perfect since day 1 and I didn't do anything to "break in" the mags. After 200 rounds I would not spend anymore ammo on it, I'd just send it back and let Sig figure it out.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of }BuLL
posted Hide Post
Are you by chance using gen1 mags on a gen2 gun? I've read of similar problems with that combination.

Posts: 131 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 11, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of carriganzl
posted Hide Post
Both of my MPX's are gen 2. The first one I bought did the same thing, it had the o-ring around the extractor spring and it was too tight. It wouldn't even strip the first round of a fully loaded mag. I took the o-ring out and it has ran reliably since.

The second that I bought did not have the o-ring at all and it has been flawless. Maybe you could check that out?

SCUBA Diving, going down is what we do best.

Posts: 955 | Location: Western NC | Registered: July 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
Mine does not have an O-ring, but does have a little black rubber stud inside the ejector spring. Is that what you're talking about?

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cobra21:
Puzzling. If it did not chamber a round from the the bolt dropping by the catch it sounds like the mag is not seating properly. I've never a had a problem like that with mine. Nor have I had the FTE issues you describe; Speer & Blaser 124gr. I tend to run mine a little wetter than most I presume.

Another try or two and back to the glue factory if things don't improve.

Weird symptom: half the time if I drop the mag the carrier fully seats the bolt. The other half it just sits there and mocks me.

Also: all Gen 2 mags purchased from SIG during their Black Friday sales events

Every day is New Year's Day
for Calendar Boy!

Oh, and I'm BANNED
posted Hide Post
I had this same exact thing happen to me and my MPX.

My MPX also had been having some issues with jamming when attempting to chamber a round, but that went away after a few cycles of ammo through the magazines.

But soon after this the failure to eject started to happen. It would happen maybe once every other 30rnd mag.

Eventually the tip of the firing pin broke off, so apparently the firing pin quite often stayed protruding through the bolt into the case causing bad things to happen when ejection was trying to happen.

I took a picture of the broken firing pin and sent it to SIG along with an explanation of what had been happening expecting to send the gun back in for them to look at.

SIG said they thought they had a solution to the issue, not just replacing the firing pin, but fixing the FTE issue as well.

What they sent me was a new bolt carrier that was different than the original, along with a new firing pin and a firing pin spring. This was basically the same thing that SIG did with the recall on the MCX.

After taking apart the original BCG and replacing all the old parts with the new my MPX has been running like a champ.

Posts: 1045 | Registered: September 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
Wow, sounds like John has done all of the hard work for you Rob. I see a new bcg in yojr future.

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John3200:
I had this same exact thing happen to me and my MPX.

My MPX also had been having some issues with jamming when attempting to chamber a round, but that went away after a few cycles of ammo through the magazines.

But soon after this the failure to eject started to happen. It would happen maybe once every other 30rnd mag.

Eventually the tip of the firing pin broke off, so apparently the firing pin quite often stayed protruding through the bolt into the case causing bad things to happen when ejection was trying to happen.

I took a picture of the broken firing pin and sent it to SIG along with an explanation of what had been happening expecting to send the gun back in for them to look at.

SIG said they thought they had a solution to the issue, not just replacing the firing pin, but fixing the FTE issue as well.

What they sent me was a new bolt carrier that was different than the original, along with a new firing pin and a firing pin spring. This was basically the same thing that SIG did with the recall on the MCX.

After taking apart the original BCG and replacing all the old parts with the new my MPX has been running like a champ.

Same issue here, new bcg and all is golden

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
Many thanks guys. Looks like I'll be calling SIG from the road tomorrow.

Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
SIG contacted, parts on the way. Range report to follow. Thanks guys!!!!

Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
Is this BCG upgrade for the Gen 1 or Gen 2 MPX? I haven't encountered this problem with my Gen 2 and am curious if this problem could happen to either Gen.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
My Gen 1 has been flawless from the get go, glad sig is working it out for you, glad you brought the topic up, I may run to the range tonight and drop a couple hundred rounds through it...

Posts: 23403 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
My Gen 1 has been flawless from the get go...

As has my GEN 2

Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brett B:
Is this BCG upgrade for the Gen 1 or Gen 2 MPX? I haven't encountered this problem with my Gen 2 and am curious if this problem could happen to either Gen.

Great question - perhaps John3200 or DSgrouse will chime in. I'll also happily post up before and after pictures for whatever parts SIG sends me, when they get here.

Previous poster described it as a whole new BCG, but SIG CS described it as just a spring-loaded firing pin...not sure how that's gonna work out. Any further updates (at least from me) will have to wait until the little box from up north arrives.

Picture of TightLines
posted Hide Post
Very curious to see what they send. I had similar issues out of the gate but they were related to oversprung mags. Shot with 20 rds in them a few times and all good sense.

Posts: 102 | Location: United States | Registered: August 10, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Every day is New Year's Day
for Calendar Boy!

Oh, and I'm BANNED
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brett B:

My MPX is a Gen 2 Carbine.

Posts: 1045 | Registered: September 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post