SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New P320 Manual Safety in wild
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New P320 Manual Safety in wild Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I'm with 3/4Flap on this. There's a reason far more M&P FS pistols were sold to LE without the manual safety. Glocks were popular too, maybe more of them. (likely due to LE department pricing?)
Things happen on the streets of a city.
Been there and done it.
Poli Viejo (Ret)

Posts: 132 | Location: Green Valley, Arizona | Registered: May 01, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 3/4Flap
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Horn:
I'm with 3/4Flap on this. There's a reason far more M&P FS pistols were sold to LE without the manual safety. Glocks were popular too, maybe more of them. (likely due to LE department pricing?)
Things happen on the streets of a city.
Been there and done it.
Poli Viejo (Ret)

While I think it would be a completely backward step, I wonder if a applied-safety model military selection for general issue would spawn the addition of AS's on the models of other makers. In the gun world, the makers are always looking for ways to sell more, many times selling to folks who already own multiple examples of the same essential model.

"For certainly no legislation can be supposed more wholesome and necessary in the founding of a free, self-governing commonwealth, fit to take rank as one of the coordinate States of the Union, than that which seeks to establish it on the basis of the idea of the family, as consisting in and springing from the union for life of one man and one woman in the holy estate of matrimony"; United States Supreme Court Ruling, Murphy v. Ramsey 1885.
The hardest trail leads to the highest peak.
"A liberal is a person whose immediate interests are not at stake."

Posts: 4403 | Location: Idaho, USA | Registered: May 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The P320 Compact 9mm with Manual Safety showed.

The trigger is very good, the manual safety has a very positive "click". Easy to place on and off safe, but not too easy if that makes sense.

The P320 Compact still seems front heavy and a little off balance too me.

I have a Sig TACOPS with the Carry size frame that feels better to me in the hand with better balance, but the Carry frame is not the size I would CCW.

Time will tell on the range. Still measuring up the P320 pistol as a whole.

Posts: 367 | Registered: June 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fuimus
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing non-safety kydex holsters won't be compatible.

Posts: 4963 | Location: Ypsilanti Township | Registered: January 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your correct but easily fixed with a hair dyer, :-)

quote:
Originally posted by jdmb03:
I'm guessing non-safety kydex holsters won't be compatible.

posted Hide Post
My caliber exchange kit arrived this afternoon. The end result I think is the first P320 subcompact in the wild. I drilled the hole a little low but isn't an issue. The kit came with a small size frame and my compact came with a medium. The width of the small fits much better and I might end up getting a small compact frame. The removal of the material was not difficult and the frames were identical inside. I used an 8mm bolt to line the frames up and mark them. Next time I will drill a little higher. The pin of the actual safety itself is no where near the thickness of the cut out but it has to be that size to get the FCU in/out.

Posts: 375 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: September 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Where there's a will, there's a way... Wink

I wanted a P320sc medium grip module w/o a rail but they're not available. So I removed the rail from a railed grip module, undercut the grip and trigger guard, then custom stippled the grip circumference. We each have something no one else has.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: az4783054,

When life gets stressful, put down your firearm and play with your Barbie.

Posts: 7339 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoeyBones7
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the follow up post and pics Gordy. Nice job cutting too. Looks like it left the factory that way.

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein

Posts: 440 | Location: PA | Registered: May 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Apex trigger arrived today. Couldn't have been easier to install. It provides the added leverage as advertised. It makes the trigger pull and take up feel more consistent. So far seems to be worth it.

Posts: 375 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: September 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great Job !

posted Hide Post
Gordysimo,

Thanks for posting your "how to carve out a safety slot" for the P320 exchange kits! I'm heading out to Home Depot to pick up an 8mm bolt and will give it a try. I have a wonderful sticky full-size grip module I purchased from Gray Guns that shoots great but doesn't take a safety. I'll be cutting one on that grip frame in about 2 hours thanks to your excellent post!

Posts: 43 | Registered: May 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't forget to show your work when done.

quote:
Originally posted by H-Man:
Gordysimo,

Thanks for posting your "how to carve out a safety slot" for the P320 exchange kits! I'm heading out to Home Depot to pick up an 8mm bolt and will give it a try. I have a wonderful sticky full-size grip module I purchased from Gray Guns that shoots great but doesn't take a safety. I'll be cutting one on that grip frame in about 2 hours thanks to your excellent post!

Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
Thanks to the OP and everyone who have added to this thread.

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 2754 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of littlepoison
posted Hide Post
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I was wondering if anyone could provide a model number I could search for?

Posts: 96 | Registered: January 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DsWright
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by littlepoison:
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I was wondering if anyone could provide a model number I could search for?

Same, i really like this model and might make it my first P320

Posts: 1072 | Location: Bethel, OH (Cincinnati) | Registered: January 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I saw one another site where you can send your 320 back to Sig and they will add the safety for $100 plus freight.

Posts: 20 | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I see no need for a thumb safety. For me, it's less safe because I will always be forgetting to put it on before holstering or take it off before firing.

But, that's me. I'm a simple monkey Wink

Bruce

Hanlon's Razor /prov./ A corollary of Finagle's Law, similar to Occam's Razor, that reads "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

"It is better to be considered a house cat and sit on the lap of pretty girls than to be feared as a tiger and hunted by men."- T. Takamatsu

Posts: 1902 | Location: NV | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 3/4Flap
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
I see no need for a thumb safety. For me, it's less safe because I will always be forgetting to put it on before holstering or take it off before firing.

But, that's me. I'm a simple monkey Wink

Bruce

Pretty smart monkey, too.

"For certainly no legislation can be supposed more wholesome and necessary in the founding of a free, self-governing commonwealth, fit to take rank as one of the coordinate States of the Union, than that which seeks to establish it on the basis of the idea of the family, as consisting in and springing from the union for life of one man and one woman in the holy estate of matrimony"; United States Supreme Court Ruling, Murphy v. Ramsey 1885.
The hardest trail leads to the highest peak.
"A liberal is a person whose immediate interests are not at stake."

Posts: 4403 | Location: Idaho, USA | Registered: May 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TENWOLVES
posted Hide Post
I look at safety's as a pain, I carried a revolver safely for years, no problems and today's autos have several safety's built into the gun, which makes them safe to carry, a carry gun should be at the ready at all times, and you as the operator need to know your gun and how it functions, guns do not go off unless you pull the trigger, unless you have a gun that functions on its own, one of the nice things about a revolver is and was , you only had to get it out take aim or just point in the direction of the attacker and pull the trigger, some of these quality's are now built into the modern semi auto pistol, the P320 for which I have two are great carry guns and the last thing I want is a safety on it to get in my way when my gun is needed, I also carry 1911's at times, but I have trained and know how to use the thumb safety's as well as the grip safety, the 1911 format is still a great way to go, with a EDC Gun, for me IMHO, I want the best user friendly and reliable as well as accurate gun I can afford, because I can't afford not to...

NRA, SASS, NCOWS

Posts: 150 | Location: Grant Pass, Oregon | Registered: April 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TENWOLVES:
I look at safety's as a pain, I carried a revolver safely for years, no problems and today's autos have several safety's built into the gun, which makes them safe to carry, a carry gun should be at the ready at all times, and you as the operator need to know your gun and how it functions, guns do not go off unless you pull the trigger, unless you have a gun that functions on its own, one of the nice things about a revolver is and was , you only had to get it out take aim or just point in the direction of the attacker and pull the trigger, some of these quality's are now built into the modern semi auto pistol, the P320 for which I have two are great carry guns and the last thing I want is a safety on it to get in my way when my gun is needed, I also carry 1911's at times, but I have trained and know how to use the thumb safety's as well as the grip safety, the 1911 format is still a great way to go, with a EDC Gun, for me IMHO, I want the best user friendly and reliable as well as accurate gun I can afford, because I can't afford not to...

See, that seems odd to me. I usually carry my P238, so I see the value in the other gun I would carry having the same manual of arms.

Posts: 20 | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post