SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New P320 Manual Safety in wild
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New P320 Manual Safety in wild Login/Join 
posted
Found this on another forum

Thought this would be of interest. Taken from Safly & Sons Sporting Goods's Facebook page:

https://c3.staticflickr.com/9/...234_ce55d6e74b_o.jpg

I've only shot pistols with manual safeties, so this appeals to me in theory (it's not an H&K, so I'm not actually interested). Not sure if people will end up riding the slide stop with this safety, looks like the raised "fence" around the slide stop might help with that, though that brings into question the availability of safety-compatible P320 grip modules.

Posts: 93 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 320 has a very nice light trigger. For purposes of bullet placement, it might be better then standard Glock trigger pull. Thumb safety on this new striker would work pretty much like a 1911 and seems like a good idea.

Posts: 1827 | Location: East Central Toadsuck, Florida | Registered: September 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like how it is a usable thumb safety, not tiny, not on the slide!

Posts: 485 | Location: Pearland, Texas | Registered: February 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Scuttlebutt (including from SIG CS, at one point) was that we wouldn't see these until there was a large institutional order - I wonder which agency is getting these?

Posts: 19351 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
Finally!!!!!

Any word on price or availability?

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 4730 | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P6shooter
posted Hide Post
Looks much better than the goofy original one that SIG showed off.

Obama, putting the P.O.S. in P.O.T.U.S. since 2008.

Posts: 731 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: May 10, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I picked up Sig P320 yesterday afternoon at Hunter's Trading Post in Weymouth, MA. I was first on their waiting list having plunked down a $100 deposit in March. With the Sig Night Sights it ran $595 before tax. As to availability, it looks like the MA Compliant Sig P320 Compacts in 9mm hit the shelves yesterday (8/24). As is SOP for MA Compliant pistols your choices of color are black, black, and black and only the 9mm Compacts look to have been shipped. Mine was dirtier than normal suggesting that Sig's quality control staff fired a lot or rounds through the pistol. They do that for law enforcement agencies as part of the contract requirements so this gun was likely part of a law enforcement production run.

There is a tiny cutout on both sides of the grip module to allow the safety to poke through making it ambidextrous. I've been dry-firing with the safety on and it comes off easy enough but I think I'll only use it when holstering. It'll be interesting to see if it's more difficult to disassemble and reassemble with the safety.

The staff at my local gun store said they expect the 320 to be a run away best-seller in Massachusetts. Probably because us civilians aren't allowed to own any Glock's made prior to 1998 which means only Gen I's and Gen II's are legal here. There are lots of Gen III's and IV's on the shelves here but you have to be Law Enforcement to buy them so this Sig P320 will be my first-ever striker fired pistol. (<:

Posts: 43 | Registered: May 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
... is this great timing for the Army's Modular Gun System or what?

Smile

Like my P320C; agree with others here, that the compact slide on the SC grip is great for EDC.

Thinking about an external safety and an SC, if it's every offered.

------------
Bellum ut Deus gratiam

Praemonitus, praemunitus

ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς

Posts: 633 | Location: Kirkland, WA | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
Picture of Dusty78
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H-Man:
I picked up Sig P320 yesterday afternoon at Hunter's Trading Post in Weymouth, MA. I was first on their waiting list having plunked down a $100 deposit in March. With the Sig Night Sights it ran $595 before tax. As to availability, it looks like the MA Compliant Sig P320 Compacts in 9mm hit the shelves yesterday (8/24). As is SOP for MA Compliant pistols your choices of color are black, black, and black and only the 9mm Compacts look to have been shipped. Mine was dirtier than normal suggesting that Sig's quality control staff fired a lot or rounds through the pistol. They do that for law enforcement agencies as part of the contract requirements so this gun was likely part of a law enforcement production run.

There is a tiny cutout on both sides of the grip module to allow the safety to poke through making it ambidextrous. I've been dry-firing with the safety on and it comes off easy enough but I think I'll only use it when holstering. It'll be interesting to see if it's more difficult to disassemble and reassemble with the safety.

The staff at my local gun store said they expect the 320 to be a run away best-seller in Massachusetts. Probably because us civilians aren't allowed to own any Glock's made prior to 1998 which means only Gen I's and Gen II's are legal here. There are lots of Gen III's and IV's on the shelves here but you have to be Law Enforcement to buy them so this Sig P320 will be my first-ever striker fired pistol. (<:

Technically Kahr is a striker fired Gun and they made a specific MA legal PM9.

Posts: 10560 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Berg
posted Hide Post
Looks good.

Posts: 734 | Location: near the 101 and 92 in Calif. | Registered: August 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks good to me too. The placement vaguely looks to me that it might block simple manipulation of the slide stop/release. Hard to tell. But one of my favorite features of the P-Series is the location of that slide stop. Hopefully it's just a nuance of the picture.

Posts: 668 | Location: Arlington, VA/Burlington, VT | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WarEagleSig
posted Hide Post
Dang, will this be available for everyone? I just bought both a full size 9 and a SC 40 in the last 4 weeks and would have preferred the safety models... Oh well.

Posts: 792 | Location: Forsyth County, GA | Registered: August 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the idea of a manual safety too. Maybe the FCU's can be retrofitted with the safety (doubtful but it would be nice). The new slide release levers can be retrofitted so maybe ...

Posts: 141 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: September 01, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
Picture of soggy_spinout
posted Hide Post
I know I've been rather harsh on the 320 given my own experiences with my 320C and its trigger but Lordy, a thumb safety of all things! Now if that doesn't just ruin it all to hell. What's a self-respecting striker guy to do? Why go out and buy another Glock and console oneself that the world is still right...in some places. Razz

I've always been curious as to 320's reception in certain quarters due to its lack of a "trigger lock" (so to speak). While the gun has been well received by most, the lack of an auxiliary mechanism (like Glock's Safe-Action bar lock or the M&P's articulated lockout seems to at least psychologically say that the SIG FCU is perhaps, 'less safe', at least in the eyes of product safety zealots and lawyers if not actual users, particularly first-time gun owners. I recall SIG showing a trigger mockup with a Glock-like center lockout disengagement trigger lever early on but nothing to my knowledge ever came of that. Given how smooth and relatively clean most 320 triggers generally operate (particularly compared to Glocks and M&Ps), it would seem that a recipe for pending courtroom disaster was in the offing.

The thumb safety at the very least addresses any such concern going forward. But it does seem kinda crowded given where it's placed.

Posts: 6719 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
^
I get your point, but I've always considered the Glock tab safety much more window dressing than a useful safety device. A thumb safety is a useful safety device.

Posts: 16431 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Transplanted Hillbilly
Picture of Fire Away
posted Hide Post
You definitely don't miss an opportunity to remind us of your opinion.

quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
I know I've been rather harsh on the 320

Posts: 1597 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: December 08, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
soggy_spinout, I think you're working overtime on this. One reason I jumped on the 320 is that I don't have to cuss that damned safety tab in the trigger. At the same time, both the thumb safety and the safety tab in the trigger are available if there's a large enough order - which means that SIG, at least, considers them necessary only if the burocracy of some agency or another does.

Come to think of it, how would that safety tab in the face of the trigger reduce liability? Seriously, think of it in practical terms - how does the safety tab render it less likely that the trigger will be pressed all the way home accidentally? It's a drop safety if anything, and the 320s already come with a drop safety in the form of a passive firing pin safety.

Posts: 19351 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
I've always been curious as to 320's reception in certain quarters due to its lack of a "trigger lock" (so to speak). While the gun has been well received by most, the lack of an auxiliary mechanism (like Glock's Safe-Action bar lock or the M&P's articulated lockout seems to at least psychologically say that the SIG FCU is perhaps, 'less safe', at least in the eyes of product safety zealots and lawyers if not actual users, particularly first-time gun owners. I recall SIG showing a trigger mockup with a Glock-like center lockout disengagement trigger lever early on but nothing to my knowledge ever came of that. Given how smooth and relatively clean most 320 triggers generally operate (particularly compared to Glocks and M&Ps), it would seem that a recipe for pending courtroom disaster was in the offing.

The lack of a 'trigger lock' on the P320 might well pose a hurdle for acceptance by the uninformed. However, the specific risk that is addressed by trigger locks on most striker-fired guns does not exist on the P320.

Trigger locks on Glocks, M&Ps and most other striker-fired guns exist primarily to prevent a discharge if the gun is dropped with the muzzle pointing up. Without a trigger lock, the trigger bar in those guns would move toward the back of the gun, in exactly the same manner as though the trigger had been pressed, until the striker was released. The trigger bar on a P320 moves forward to release the striker.

A Glock trigger bar moves backwards, while a P320 trigger bar moves forward (see at 1:55).

Posts: 439 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
Any more word on these? Availability? Hands-on experiences?

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 4730 | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 3/4Flap
posted Hide Post
Been waiting to see this.

Personally, I think the addition of an applied safety defeats the entire concept introduced by Glock and sensibly copied by other makers.

The application of thumb safety requires a change in operation that is a detriment to the advantage such pistols offer.

Some say it is a stupid addition. If that is true, it readily explains Uncle Sam's affinity for such a device... Wink

"For certainly no legislation can be supposed more wholesome and necessary in the founding of a free, self-governing commonwealth, fit to take rank as one of the coordinate States of the Union, than that which seeks to establish it on the basis of the idea of the family, as consisting in and springing from the union for life of one man and one woman in the holy estate of matrimony"; United States Supreme Court Ruling, Murphy v. Ramsey 1885.
The hardest trail leads to the highest peak.
"A liberal is a person whose immediate interests are not at stake."

Posts: 4404 | Location: Idaho, USA | Registered: May 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post