SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Years later, my go to 1911 is still the Kobra Carry
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Years later, my go to 1911 is still the Kobra Carry Login/Join 
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted

I bought this when the bobtail was a brand new innovation. It is still going strong, with only the springs not original.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
THAT is a piece of art! Absolutely beautiful!

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
Love mine as well, the only 1911 still in my collection and will never be sold or traded. My only wish is that the trigger guard could have a more pronounced undercut. I’m planning on having the stainless slide DLC treated for a reverse two-tone look, probably this summer. Maybe I’ll have a gunsmith modify the frame per my undercut wish at the same time.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Certainly if it's stainless you could have someone do the undercut, and I wouldn't mind that same feature either. In blue the work might stand out. Or if Johnny Jackupgun does it.

Arc.

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 1911 is a fairly timeless sidearm which will be in use for a lot of years to come.

I like the absence of rollmarks on the slide. It's one of my favorite cosmetic features of the Dan Wessons, too. (Guncrafter no-name, as well).

For a pistol that's been carried for years, it looks to be in very nice condition.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
The 1911 is a fairly timeless sidearm which will be in use for a lot of years to come.

There will be a 12 gauge shotgun and a .45 1911 on mars when we colonize it mark my words.

Beautiful Kobra. I have a full size. It is a work of industrial art.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7670 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
What a beautiful 1911.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36838 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
I had Brown make me a full size Kobra in 9mm to my custom specifications last year. I love that gun. It is, indeed, a work of art

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rebel Without a Clue
Picture of squad13
posted Hide Post
Holy Moly!!! Great 1911

Posts: 958 | Location: Ohio | Registered: August 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Arc,

Your in MA, and MA has a ten round max capacity mag restriction, correct?

If this wasn't the case, would it change your choice of go-to gun?

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
I am fortunate enough to own an Executive Elite.

It's been flawless through thousands of rounds.

Ed Browns are excellent.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11144 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glock Stock & Barrel
Picture of gtmtnbiker98
posted Hide Post
I can appreciate that one. I have one very similar, a Dan Wesson VBOB.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4436 | Location: Southcentral Ohio | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Nice!

What year / decade is it from?

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10892 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Arc,

Your in MA, and MA has a ten round max capacity mag restriction, correct?

If this wasn't the case, would it change your choice of go-to gun?

To put things in perspective, I don't carry this pistol in MA. I'd be happy to, but they are not commercially available.

I have a P320c and G19 that I carry, as well as a S&W 940. I used to carry the H&K P7, but since they aren't made anymore, I'm not going to shoot someone with one.

I don't feel undergunned or unprepared with only 10 round mags, but to clarify, MA legislation mirrors the '94 ban (Thanks Mitt!), so any magazine pre-94 is lawful, if you also have a Class A Unrestricted permit.

In the wintertime, I prefer the G17, because I have full cap mags for it. I bought the P320c before a G19 fell in my lap, but I'm happy to carry it, favoring only the G19 because of available pre-94 full cap mags.

I would be happy to carry the Kobra Carry again, but only in a state where I could replace it if I had to.

Why no Ed Brown, and other makers, is because of the "approved roster." To get on it, you have to submit 5 pistols to the State Police for "destructive testing." So they can "make sure the pistols are up to MA safety standards."

The MA AG's authority centers around "consumer protection," and that avenue has been used and abused as a gun control bludgeon for years. A tradition Healy is all too happy to continue.

If I were to choose a 1911 to carry here, the S&W scandium commander would be my first try. There are available offerings from Colt,Sig, Ruger etc. but no high end makers that I'm aware of.

quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
Nice!

What year / decade is it from?

I couldn't remember exactly so I looked in my files. 2002. I was working nights/weekends at a gunshop/range at the time, and that's when Ed Brown came out with the Bobtail, and the fancy checker you see. It was a must have.

Arc.

Picture of CT Dakota
posted Hide Post
Hey Arcwelder, what happened to the alumagrips you had on that beauty? I loved them.

Posts: 1162 | Location: SW Florida,USA | Registered: September 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ed Brown Kobra is my favorite 1911 of all time and I have a bunch of 1911's. Mine's a stainless 5".

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Ok I feel the need to share my Brown Kobra. Amazing piece of kinetic art so to speak.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7670 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is a stunning bobtail!

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
https://ibb.co/iNPjp6

Preachin' to the Choir Arc.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had two KC's...regret getting rid of both. Frown

-Freq

Posts: 192 | Registered: May 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post