SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Anybody still carry a Kahr PM9?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody still carry a Kahr PM9? Login/Join 
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted
I bought one from a member here in 2007 or so, and it served me very well until I bought a Sig P365.

I ordered a new recoil spring and assembly two or so years ago but never got around to messing with it for a long time. It had gotten to where it wasn’t going back into battery 100% of the time. I was on the firing line smacking the slide with my palm, cussing. When I did finally try the new parts, I found that the new ones didn’t fit/function (and I was careful to make sure to order the right ones).

When I figured that out, I considered just sending the whole kit and caboodle to Kahr for them to replace all the springs and go over it. I’d estimate the gun has well north of 10,000 rounds through it.

Well that’s $200.

Almost half a Glock. I guess that’s my question...would you get it refurbished for $200 or retire it all together?

If I didn’t have the P365, it wouldn’t be a question. But I bought it specifically to replace the Kahr. I never was a huge fan of the double action pull, compared to a crisp early reset of a DA/SA or traditional striker fired.

I believe I could trim the new recoil spring and get the gun to function for range use. I read up on the issue and I’m not the only one to have this happen. But I wouldn’t trust it to CCW use without some more serious attention.

I suppose I’m plenty capable of replacing whatever needs replacing myself. I guess I’m partially rambling with my own thoughts. And kinda kicking myself in the ass for taking a year to realize the new parts didn’t work.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Were it mine, I'd fix it myself and then sell it. Sending it to Kahr for the price you mentioned simply doesn't pass my sanity check.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16183 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Me either.

To be clear, the issue is the new recoil spring has an extra spiral. So when it compresses, you reach full compression before the slide catch can engage. The recoil assembly is correct for the gun, but the outer spring is just slightly too long.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
I agree with Bald1, fix it yourself and sell it off.

I still have my little CM9, but seem to shoot my G43 and 365 much better.
The Kahr has become my ankle gun choice over a Jframe.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carry a CW380 as a backup to the P365. I recently got new recoil springs and couldn’t get them in the slide together (2 spring set up, non captive). I put one in and locked it open. Came back in a couple hours and could barely get them both in. Locked it back and set it overnight.
Works well now, but I can feel your pain.

Posts: 275 | Location: Pa | Registered: September 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would fix it and sell it also. I really liked my PM9 until I got my P365 then it was not needed anymore. BTW all my holsters for my PM9 worked great with the P365.

__________________Making Good People Helpless . . . Will Not Make Bad People Harmless!___________________

Posts: 1731 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: May 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by josp:
I carry a CW380 as a backup to the P365. I recently got new recoil springs and couldn’t get them in the slide together (2 spring set up, non captive). I put one in and locked it open. Came back in a couple hours and could barely get them both in. Locked it back and set it overnight.
Works well now, but I can feel your pain.

I can’t lock back, and I don’t even think shooting it a few hundred rounds would make a difference. It feels like the spring is completely compressed into one cylinder of steel prior to the slide lock catching.

I’ll ponder it some more. No one else in the household enjoys it. Too small and too snappy. But man, it works well for what it supposed to do.

-JALLEN

We Only Kneel
to Almighty God
posted Hide Post
Dumped mine sometime back and my P7 for a P2000SK.

Posts: 3427 | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
it served me very well until I bought a Sig P365.
If I didn’t have the P365, it wouldn’t be a question. But I bought it specifically to replace the Kahr. I never was a huge fan of the double action pull, compared to a crisp early reset of a DA/SA or traditional striker fired.

Mirrors my own thoughts/experiences exactly.

At the time I bought it (mid-2000s), it was the best option for a pocket 9mm, and certainly better than the S&W 642 it replaced. But I was never that impressed with it, and now my P365 is a much better option anyway.

Once I got a P365, mine collected dust in a drawer until I gave it to the ex-wife during our divorce.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with it. Sell it at a discount with full disclosure, and be done with it.

Posts: 32492 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Misanthropic Philanthrope
Picture of MWC
posted Hide Post
I have one. Never had a problem, but it's no where near the 10K+ rounds yours has. My wife has been carrying it. She shoots it OK but has problems wracking the slide(there is a lot of recoil spring packed in there). I'm trying to get her to consider a S&W Shield EZ in .380 or 9, but that's another story.

I also have a Kahr P380 that I pocket carry. Once again I've never had a problem, but it's a lot of recoil spring packed in there.

Posts: 6772 | Registered: June 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
I have one bought new in 2005. It took right at 200rds to break it in, like the factory said. Since then it has worked flawless. I don't shoot or carry it much but it's paid for, doesn't eat a thing, is a great back-up, I'm just gonna keep it Smile

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Still carry mine occasionally because it's lighter than my P365. Less capacity as a flush fit 6 round with mag-guts is 7+1 vs 10+1, but it is a hair lighter and uses the same holster.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6209 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I tried a couple of PM9s in the early 2010s I ended up trading off due to reliability concerns. Fast forward to maybe 4 years ago, and I again felt the need for the smallest 9mm I could find this side of $500. Mind you, the goal I had for the purchase was 2-fold, 1) super discrete carry and 2) back up gun when discretion wasn't the number one priority.

So I found a CM9 on GB for I think $255 and took the gamble. To this day and maybe 2000 rounds later (there is always something newer or more fun to shoot) I have yet to have it malfunction. Steel case, aluminum case, really reloads that choked service guns all fed, fired, and ejected without issue. I don't know how or why the econo line outperforms the flagship, but my now 2 examples certainly out class my previous 2 pm9s in reliability.

If this is the one sticking point with your pm9 and you like the other Kahr attributes like the trigger and/or size/weight which are still competitive and in many cases better than newer offerings maybe fix it your self and use the proceeds on the Cm9.

Posts: 442 | Registered: March 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bet yours has the flat nose on the muzzle end. They changed the design several years ago to a more chamfered/ tapered slide. They also extended the length of the slide .100 to get more spring in there. So I would say you received the updated spring, not the original setup. I own 2 Kahrs, a PM40 and P380. Nowhere near the round count you have but no problems here.

Edited to add: I just checked Kahr's online shop. They sell 3 types of recoil spring assemblies for PM9. Type 1 and Type 2 are for Original style square nosed slides. The differences being type 1
spring plunger head is 3/8" diameter, type 2 being 1/2" diameter. Type 3 is for updated beveled slide that is longer.

Posts: 341 | Location: Bardstown, Ky | Registered: December 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I carry a CW380 now as my pocket EDC

I agree the springs that Kahr uses are some crazy tight SOB’s

I’m still not a fan of having to hit the slide release to chamber a round, it just feels “wrong” to me, but that trigger...no one else can do a trigger like Kahr does in a pocket pistol.

Posts: 33764 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Every day (where legal) since 2007

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
I think Danny Reagan carries one in Blue Bloods.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by msfzoe:
I think Danny Reagan carries one in Blue Bloods.

Close. He carries the bigger, all-metal Kahr K9.

Posts: 32492 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member!
posted Hide Post
Still pocket carry my CM9 more often than my p365. Why? Because it's smaller, thinner, and lighter. Yes, not much smaller, thinner, or lighter, but smaller is smaller for "pocket" carry. The smaller the gun in the pocket, the more room for my hand to fit in the same pocket and ease to get the gun out. If I'm wearing shorts, then it's the CW380 so my shorts don't flop around as much or get dragged down.

In the cooler months where I will more often carry in the waistband since I have bulkier clothes on, then I'll carry the P365 because slight size differences don't matter in the waistband compared to actual pocket carry.

Posts: 4343 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
keepin mine also. the 365 is primary, pm9 when a tad smaller is needed

Semper Fi

Posts: 399 | Location: orlando,fl,usa | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post