SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sig P229 w/ German frame and US slide
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig P229 w/ German frame and US slide Login/Join 
posted
Is it unusual to have the above combination or is this pretty common? Trying to understand if a firearm that I am looking at was made up of two different guns or if it came from the factory this way. Thanks!

Posts: 140 | Registered: April 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
SIG sold that combination in a P-Series Pistol starting at least as early as 1994, and continued to do so through at least 2008. VERY Common, I'd say... Wink

It could be a CPO gun, but regardless, SIG sold lots of Pistols w/ German frames and US made Slides.

Post a partial serial# (thru the first three numerial digits) and I'm sure you'll be able to get a reasonably definitive answer re: the provenance of your P229

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8867 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is not a firearm I have in my possession. It is one listed online that I was noodling over. I am not a big fan of .40 but happen to have reloading components for 1000 rounds so figured it might just be a problem solved.... I have other .40 pistols, they just don't excite me and I was looking for an excuse to buy another Sig.

Posts: 140 | Registered: April 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Just FYI - A .357 SIG Barrel will drop right into that Pistol. I've shot a P229 in both calibers (.40 S&W and .357 SIG, back-to-back on the same range trip), and IMO the P229 shoots REALLY nice in .357 SIG. In fact I MUCH prefer that configuration! Cool

It's nice to have options....

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8867 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
My P229 9mm is like this, US slide, German frame. Bought new in 2007.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5478 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very typical practice up until the P229-1 9mm frames--the ones that seat the slightly wider 15rd 9mm standard height magazines--went live, which essentially is the same dimensionally as the 40S&W/357SIG frame if I'm not mistaken. At that time all frames used for the P229 shifted from German to US-produced units except for some continuation in order to use up remaining German frames at SIG NH.

-MG

Posts: 1979 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SiGagain
posted Hide Post
the P229 introduced stainless steel slides to the P Series pistols and the stainless slides were all made (at least at that time) in the USA

Bill

Fast is Fine...Accuracy is Final
*SiGARMS GSR Revolution STX
*SiG/Sauer*P220*P226*P228*P230*P245*SPC2009*P365

NRA Benefactor Life/LEAA Life Membership

Posts: 2410 | Location: ChicagoLand, USA | Registered: November 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wgsigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by monoblok:
Very typical practice up until the P229-1 9mm frames--the ones that seat the slightly wider 15rd 9mm standard height magazines--went live, which essentially is the same dimensionally as the 40S&W/357SIG frame if I'm not mistaken. At that time all frames used for the P229 shifted from German to US-produced units except for some continuation in order to use up remaining German frames at SIG NH.

The “P229-1 9mm frames” are, in fact, the P229 .40/.357 frames, not just essentially the same. As far as I know there is no frame designated as P229-1, just barrels, mags, and maybe slides that are only 9mm. Sorry to nit pick.

Posts: 2807 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a NIB (still have it) an all-stainless steel P229 with a German frame and US slide back around the year 2004 or 2005. It came with 12 rd mags so it was after the sunset of the crime bill which was in 2004. Anyway, it is a beautifully made, heavy duty pistol. And being a 40 caliber, I appreciate the extra heft.

You will not be disappointed if you buy that one you're looking at.

Posts: 2010 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looking for advice re converting a Sig 229 mfg 1994 German frame Exeter NH stainless slide 40S&W to 9mm. Suspect that the P229 would be better suited to handling 9mm +p/+P+ ammo. Besides a 9mm barrel what else would be required to adapt the 40S&W P229 to 9mm? Recoil spring, hammer spring, magazine?

Posts: 186 | Registered: December 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post