SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Glock 17 slide bite
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glock 17 slide bite Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I'm a right handed shooter. The left side of the slide nicks me sometimes at the base of the thumb. More commonly with the compacts.

Posts: 5160 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is why I use the Grip Force Adapters. Im a big guy with big hands. I can shoot a G21 and G41 with nothing on them, but the small frame Glocks....Grip Force Adapter all day.

Posts: 492 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: June 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Glock 17 is my EDC. I've been using/working with it for 10 years. I've dabbled in others but it is the one gun that does everything I need it to do.

Over the years I've tried different grip styles. I'm a traditional thumbs forward shooter. During my time of shooting this way I've gotten slide bite every time. I have large hands myself.

For the last year I've been experimenting with a new grip technique. It is still the same thumbs forward but with a slight change.

My stronghand thumb now rests just to the outside touching the second joint of my support hand.

This has done 3 things for me:

It has given me a stronger, more stable grip.

It has cured 95% of my slide bite.

It has cured my low left shooting.

I immidiately noticed a change in my sight picture when I switched to this grip. It used to be upon presentation that I would have to do a slight correction to the right when I presented the gun. Wrapping the thumb to the outside, there is no correction needed.

Long winded post. I'd say give it a try and see what it does for you.

quote:
Originally posted by Twist18:
My Gen 3 Glock 17 gives me slide bite, can a beaver tail be added somehow? Changing my grip isn't really an option, as I have fairly large hands. Any other options?

Posts: 874 | Location: NE Pennsylvania | Registered: December 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
the only gun that's ever bit me was a milspec springfield 1911. I didn't notice I was getting hammer bite til a couple mags in, and I had a decent flap of skin hanging off the back web of my right hand and blood dripping down. Then I realized the benefit of beavertails. Big Grin

I've seen a couple times, new shooters using the thumb-over grip got a torn up thumb knuckle from the slides. that one always looked painful.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I have meaty paws and never had an issue with Glock biting me. I had a BHP that gave me some nasty hammer bite, but never had an issue with any flavor of Glock

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post