SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Glock 17 slide bite
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glock 17 slide bite Login/Join 
posted
My Gen 3 Glock 17 gives me slide bite, can a beaver tail be added somehow? Changing my grip isn't really an option, as I have fairly large hands. Any other options?

Posts: 473 | Location: California | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...5/m/5941074751/p/341

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54625 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Twist18:
My Gen 3 Glock 17 gives me slide bite, can a beaver tail be added somehow? Changing my grip isn't really an option, as I have fairly large hands. Any other options?

Beavertails can be done as custom jobs on the Gen 3. Its a standard option on a Gen 4.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
http://www.gripforceproducts.com/

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
http://gripforceproducts.com/GEN_3.html

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
...I have fairly large hands.
Your hands must be the size of catcher's mitts. It never occurred to me that a Glock could bite you. Honestly, it has never occurred to me.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107556 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryarnaud:
http://www.gripforceproducts.com/

This. It's what I use on all my Glocks of all generations. Even the Gen 4 Glocks, since I prefer them to the factory beavertail backstraps.

Installation is quick and simple.

I used to get slide bite every time I shot my duty Glock, until these were approved for installation. Before that, I just had to suck it up. I know several other officers who were the same way.

These beavertail are what made the difference in me going from slightly disliking Glocks and only having one (my issued Glock) to loving them and owning multiples.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Your hands must be the size of catcher's mitts. It never occurred to me that a Glock could bite you. Honestly, it has never occurred to me.

It's not uncommon. Probably one of the reasons why beavertail backstraps are standard issue on Gen 4s now.

My hands are big, but not abnormally so, and I get bit by standard Glocks. I wear XL gloves.

The "bite" comes from the underside of the slide rails. You end up with two bloody "railroad tracks" on the web of your hand.

(Not me; just an example I found online)

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
when I got my c.w.p. in Phoenix, AZ.
we live fired on the second day ,

another student picked up his G17 an hour before class.
he had never fired a gun before.

his 4th shot at the target bit him , but good.
it bled real good, then he started walking around with the gun in his good hand,

there was a moment of controlled panic as they got him to place the weapon on the shooting bench.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54625 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Sounds like he crossed his thumb over and that would hurt much more than mild abrasions between your thumb and forefinger.
Having the knuckle of your thumb laid open by one of the corners of a Glock slide would be no fun at all.

Posts: 107556 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies! It's funny, only the right side of the slide gets me, not the left. I'll get one of the grip force beaver tails, and give it a try.

Posts: 473 | Location: California | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love my Glock but it loves to slice my mitts. I also have a Grip Force for it and it is amazing. Get the smooth one as the other "ribbed" can abrade the webbing of your hands after a shooting session. Well at least it did to mine,let the flaming begin.

Posts: 6883 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patw:
I love my Glock but it loves to slice my mitts. I also have a Grip Force for it and it is amazing. Get the smooth one as the other "ribbed" can abrade the webbing of your hands after a shooting session. Well at least it did to mine,let the flaming begin.

When you order one, you get both the smooth and ribbed (for her pleasure).
I mostly use the smooth ones but on my ccw 9mm, the ribbed actually felt better between the 2.

Remember, you can modify the GripForce products ANY way you want. Sand them, cut the bottom shorter, heat them to bend fit (needed for my G21SF), grab a dremel and go to town if you need to.
If you mess it up, they will replace it free of charge.
GripForce WANTS it's customers to experiment to get the feel the customer wants.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
...I have fairly large hands.

I get filleted by any glock without a beaver tail. I'm 6'5, 270~.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a Glock 23. I have medium-small hands. I would get slide bite whenever I used a thumbs-forward grip.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glocks aren't my carry or defensive guns but I have a few as Simunition trainers. My hands are between med and large, I wear size L glove. I also have a pretty high thumbs forward grip.

Just grabbed a G3 -19 and -17 from the safe. I've never paid attention before, but I've got maybe between 1/16 and 1/32 space before I'd get bit. So, if I decide to get serious about a live ammo Glock it would be the G4 -17 I have with a beaver tail.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I get bit by the left slide rail every time I shoot a Glock. It's been that way for years. I just live with the small abrasion.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Yup, I get "love bites" from my Glock, every time.
I tried wearing gloves but usually I just accept that it is part of the ownership experience Smile

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Life's too short to
live by the rules
posted Hide Post
That picture looks like my hand from a class I took with my G23 many years ago. I still have the scar. I don't even have large hands (medium gloves) and I still have the issue.

Chris

Posts: 1696 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: August 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post