SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    A tale of two Glocks.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A tale of two Glocks. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:
Originally posted by perrinyanna:
around how many rounds on the average does your 10 year old duty Glocks fire to need a rebuild or total replacemnet? isn't it most issued Glocks are mostly carried but shot little so not much wear and tear on internal parts?

I don't think you are quite getting the jist here. But, in these threads few do unless they have been involved in LE. People just see these threads (and I'm suprised our resident "When I was in LE for six months in 1974 and we bought our own oxygen" expert hasn't shown up) and assume it is a ploy to get new toys because we can. True, some guns are shot very little. About a 1,000 rounds a year. However, guns like mine (and several other SWAT guys I know) will be needing new barrels and other replacement parts soon. The grouping on mine has really opened up over the last six months at 25 yards. And I'm sure most of the internals are in need of being replaced.

Ever seen a "carried a lot/shot very little" LE trade? Most look horrible. Because the ones that won't shoot a lot, also won't take care of it. I've found all sorts of crap and crud inside of Glocks on detail strips. Stuff that shouldn't be present on normal wear and tear. Stuff that anyone that cared about their guns wouldn't allow happen.

Then there is night sights. They start the clock when they are manufactured, not when they are installed on pistols. Magazines are NOT life time items. We still have some in service that are marked LE/MIL only. when you weigh the cost of new night sights, and magazines alone, you get real close to the difference in trading for new guns. Swapping the internal parts has very little influence on the overall cost when you look at the numbers.

When you look at the broad make up of US law enforcement agencies, few have full time dedicated armorers. I work for a large agency, and my instructional position is not even a full time gig. Let alone working on guns. So, to take me off the road to detail strip, inspect, replace night sights and whatnot, is overtime that has to be paid to cover my position.

When you look at the total line items, it is much more economical to trade for new guns about every 10 years. Glock makes the most money off of selling the trade ins. These are life saving tools. I have two guns that I had to take out of service last month because of multiple malfunctions that weren't shooter related. One was "shot little/carried a lot". Either it has to be rebuilt or replaced.

I get what you guys are saying from the gun world perspective, but there is a whole lot more to it than just that.

Good post. I'm not an LEO, and have wondered this from time to time. 5-10 years probably does not seem like much to the guy who buys the gun, it sees some light duty along with his 10-30 other firearms, and is considered "heirloom quality", "this will be passed down at least one generation", etc., vs. 40+ hours a week of use and abuse. Good point taking into account that round count is not the be-all-end-all in considering terminal wear on a duty gun.

Posts: 2957 | Location: NM | Registered: July 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
That doesn't look much thicker than the pistol without the light. Is it?

A hair when i measured the x300u is was 1.4ish at it's widest part, bezel is only 1.125 so it narrows down, i have two other views right now, but don't think they give you a clear picture of the width you are asking about.I can take a much better pic at lunch if you like

Posts: 6727 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: November 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
I've been intrigued by the XC1 for exactly the same concerns JLJ mentions.

I have lights on all of my 'OWB Only' or off-body guns, but don't have one on my G19 for concealment purposes, though I would like to have one.

The xc1 seems like a small enough option that it wouldn't affect IWB carry all too much. Shown on a G19 here:

Posts: 9958 | Location: RI | Registered: October 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:

I know two of us shoot at minimum 1,000 rounds a month each on our 31s.
We buy our own RSAs every year just to be cautious.

I believe Glock recommends RSA replacement every 4-5000 rounds, which would be every few months for you. I believe the Glock RSA's will go a whole lot longer than that, of course.

Per the Glock Armorer course/manual:

Gen 1-3 = replace RSA every 2500 rounds.

Gen 4 = replace RSA every 5000 rounds.

tp

Posts: 908 | Location: TX | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jones here are some better pics of the Guncraft holster for the 17 with X300U

Posts: 6727 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: November 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I do like the looks of that. Seems that Guncrafters are in the Glock 19 and Glock 19 only business. Nothing wrong with that, I guess. Do one thing and do it right.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I were in your shoes, I too would be pushing for 9mm Glocks. It'll be easier for the officers in your agency to transfer over from the Glock 40's, to the 9mm Glocks. I'd look into the G19 model.

Posts: 141 | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I do like the looks of that. Seems that Guncrafters are in the Glock 19 and Glock 19 only business. Nothing wrong with that, I guess. Do one thing and do it right.

That holster is for Glock 17 or 19, and he's making 34 now too. Glock is his bread and butter.

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gundawg:
quote:

That holster is for Glock 17 or 19, and he's making 34 now too. Glock is his bread and butter.

If he comes out with one for a 34, I'll probably purchase one.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Mmmmmm, the powers that be at my PD flatly refused the Glock and the M&P due to the "light" trigger.....

one of them said, "someone will shoot themselves"

that's a training issue, keep you F'n trigger off the gun won't "go off"...

I carry a G19 gen 4 off duty, and haven't shot myself with it yet....

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jcat:
I've been intrigued by the XC1 for exactly the same concerns JLJ mentions.

I have lights on all of my 'OWB Only' or off-body guns, but don't have one on my G19 for concealment purposes, though I would like to have one.

The xc1 seems like a small enough option that it wouldn't affect IWB carry all too much. Shown on a G19 here:

The cop that has his desk next to mine has that exact set up. IWB on his appendix. I do like that little light.

Posts: 4028 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:

Some questions if you don't mind.

Is that the Arcane IWB holster? If not which model is it?

Does it have the capability to tighten it down very tight? I mean extremely tight, as my concern is retaining the gun while running/fighting.

Thanks.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMF:
quote:

Does it have the capability to tighten it down very tight? I mean extremely tight, as my concern is retaining the gun while running/fighting.

Thanks.

I have two guncraft holsters, the Arcane which you see above and the Arcane mod2 which is made especially for glocks with the XC-1 attached and is open ended.

I have the Arcane set with blue loctite at about a 5 out of 10 on retention, 10 being Hercules would be needed to draw it. You can see in that pic above the rubber spacers on the bottom there is plenty more room to tighten it down.

The Arcane Mod2 i ordered first i had to loosen up as the retention was for me just too much (actually made loosen it some more)but one thing is it showed me how well that clip works. With the Mod2 you can also run RCS over hook, or Strut with pull the tab loops.

Here are some photos of the Arcane Mod2 which as i understand it they are going to develop one for longer Glocks like 17 and 34 with different WML options than just the XC-1.

Fell free to e-mail any more questions, i think i have hijacked Jerry's post enough.

Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Thanks.

I have two guncraft holsters, the Arcane which you see above and the Arcane mod2 which is made especially for glocks with the XC-1 attached and is open ended.

I have the Arcane set with blue loctite at about a 5 out of 10 on retention, 10 being Hercules would be needed to draw it. You can see in that pic above the rubber spacers on the bottom there is plenty more room to tighten it down.

The Arcane Mod2 i ordered first i had to loosen up as the retention was for me just too much, but one thing is it showed me how well that clip works.

Here are some photos of the Arcane Mod2 which as i understand it they are going to develop one for longer Glocks like 17 and 34.

http://s288.photobucket.com/us...zpsolg1xfcu.jpg.html

http://s288.photobucket.com/us...zpscdrsv8bl.jpg.html

http://s288.photobucket.com/us...zpsd2nesdek.jpg.html

http://s288.photobucket.com/us...zpsoibahqhe.jpg.html
Thanks for the description, and thanks for the pics, especially showing the spacing.

IMO, that's how all "taco" or "U fold" holsters should be made. Two tension screws, to allow even application of pressure, and enough space to allow you to crank it down for a very tight fit.

One more question, the Guncraft website doesn't show the holsters as well as your pics do. Do you know if the Cloak holsters also have that same type of room to tighten down the holster? I also carry a Glock 27, so I'm looking for something that conceals well, but also can provide better retention than my current holsters.

Thanks again for the info.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Thanks.

The Arcane Mod2 i ordered first i had to loosen up as the retention was for me just too much, but one thing is it showed me how well that clip works.

Here are some photos of the Arcane Mod2 which as i understand it they are going to develop one for longer Glocks like 17 and 34.

http://s288.photobucket.com/us...zpsolg1xfcu.jpg.html

http://s288.photobucket.com/us...zpscdrsv8bl.jpg.html

http://s288.photobucket.com/us...zpsd2nesdek.jpg.html

http://s288.photobucket.com/us...zpsoibahqhe.jpg.html
Thanks for the description, and thanks for the pics, especially showing the spacing.

IMO, that's how all "taco" or "U fold" holsters should be made. Two tension screws, to allow even application of pressure, and enough space to allow you to crank it down for a very tight fit.

One more question, the Guncraft website doesn't show the holsters as well as your pics do. Do you know if the Cloak holsters also have that same type of room to tighten down the holster? I also carry a Glock 27, so I'm looking for something that conceals well, but also can provide better retention than my current holsters.

Thanks again for the info.

i believe they do, but i would recommend reaching out to Jeremy at Guncraft he's pretty good about getting back within a day. Here is one pic that shows the side a bit, and if the two holsters i have allow that much room to tighten them down then i would say the same goes for the cloak

https://www.instagram.com/p/BP.../?taken-by=gun_craft