SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    If I were going to have only one 1911, might as well get a Colt. ** UPDATE: Range Report in OP **
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If I were going to have only one 1911, might as well get a Colt. ** UPDATE: Range Report in OP ** Login/Join 
NOT compromised!
Picture of SIGWALLY
posted Hide Post
Q, it might be a good idea to just buy yourself two new mags. We don't know the history of those mags and what was done to them. Actually one is a 7 round and one is actually an 8 round...
Also they are probably "Match "mags. Set up for feeding wadcutters. The latest mags by top teir mfgs. are called Hybrid mags. The length and width of the feed lips feed everything well.
The rear sight retaining pin, if hollow, needs to be replaced by a solid pin. Hard to tell from your pix. Colt only did this for a couple years on their Gold Cups until reports came in on them breaking. As far as the sear depressor and tiny spring several people mentioned, I was instructed by one of the nations premier 1911 smiths ( Austin Belhert ) to remove both and throw them out the nearest window...

Posts: 1527 | Location: Tampa Bay, Florida | Registered: July 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I remained silent about the Eliason sight pin issue. It does look to be roll pin, best I can see by my phone. If Q dont like shooting lead target loads, there are both 185 and 200 grain plated bullets and loads. US Match ball can be found occasionally but brings back the need for the hevier recoil spring. Most of the 185 grain loads I have seen were loaded long, bullets shallow seated to help them feed. I've cast and loaded a 155 grain pill for IPSC which didnt feed worth a darn through my stainless Springer. I hope our guy here discovers some target ammo for his beautiful National Match. 200 Grain target loads Q.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the input, guys.

1- Trigger travel is gritty, with or without the mag in.
2- One mag is 7-rounder. The other an 8-rounder with the shooting star follower.
3- The 7-rounder does show that scratch on the right side, and it does appear that the trigger bar/bow is the culprit. If so, why does the 8-rounder not have the same scratch?
4- I see no obvious evidence of filing/deburring of the witness hole that David mentioned?
5- There is no bur on the mag catch internal.
6- I'll get some new mags to try again. WC mags are what folks usually get?
7- And, will try some 185 Gr ammo.
8- Ultimately, probably will send the gun somewhere reputable for a reliability and trigger/action job. Suggestion on whom to go with?

Q

Posts: 26339 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
6- I'll get some new mags to try again. WC mags are what folks usually get?
7- And, will try some 185 Gr ammo.
8- Ultimately, probably will send the gun somewhere reputable for a reliability and trigger/action job. Suggestion on whom to go with?

To be honest, some of your questions are above my experience level.

6 -- WC mags have worked flawlessly for me -- 7, 8, and 10 round mags. WC is offering a 20% discount on their mags via their website, through the end of July. But Wilson isn't the only game in town. Others will certainly chime in with success stories of other brands; brands which often cost less than WC. I don't think WC has the monopoly on quality 1911 mags.

7 -- It's worth a try. I tried Federal Match 185 and it shot well -- no cycling issues. With my club-fisted mits, I must admit that Federal Match 185 didn't produce noticeably better bullseye scores than with 230 FMJ. Which means I shouldn't quit my day job for pistol competition.

8 -- I have used a Denver area 'smith who is good with 1911 triggers. Probably not the most convenient for you. Grayguns isn't in your neck of the woods, but Bruce is frickin' awesome with 1911s. I suspect if you go to one of the 1911 forums, you may receive options for more local 1911 'smiths.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Just now remember that I've also used Tripp and McCormick mags before, beside WC.

And, locally, Vanden Berg Custom is supposed to be excellent with 1911s. I just might try him.

Q

Posts: 26339 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
OK, the magazines look good Q. I recall Bruce giving high praise to Metalform 1911 magazines for being about the best you could find for posotive feed and operating your slide catch lever. Someone on here had ammo cans full of them.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post