SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    If I were going to have only one 1911, might as well get a Colt. ** UPDATE: Range Report in OP **
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If I were going to have only one 1911, might as well get a Colt. ** UPDATE: Range Report in OP ** Login/Join 
Picture of T.Webb
posted Hide Post
I agree, you need a Colt. Sadly, I haven't yet taken my own advice.

I've got a Taurus, RIA, Sig, Kimber, and a Wilson in the safe, but none with a Pony on the grips.

One day ...

"Tonight, we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done". {George W. Bush, Post 9/11}

Posts: 842 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. / Stephentown, N.Y. | Registered: March 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
That is a VERY nice older Gold Cup

I am a BIG Gold Cup fan and have several to work with.

Back about four decades, a Gold Cup was the first Auto Loader I had ever purchased new

These days I really like carrying a blue Gold Cup Commander.

I wish these were still in the lineup

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice Colt, thanks for the pix.

quote:
Originally posted by P-220:
What a beautiful Colt, thanks for sharing the pics.

I have a Wilson Combat Elite Professional in .38 Super.

That said, I have a 70's Combat Commander chambered for .38 Super at the Gunsmith right now, getting a Kart barrel.

Yes, there is something special about a Colt 1911, IMO.

I did the same thing, a Kart barrel for my Colt Commander 38 Super, shoots better with the Kart barrel.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
I once owned a Series 70 Gold Cup (I paid $400 for it, back in the day). I loved it and it is one of my acquisitions that I really miss.

Posts: 12180 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
You need to find a local reloader you can trust. Someone near you makes 200 grain H&G 68 style cast lead bullets. With care in casting, lube and sizing along with accurately measured 4 grains of Bullseye powder, that Colt will come into its own and show you what target acuracy can be with big fat bullets. Settle for no amount of shine on its sights and get a carbide smoker. Its all kind of old school and a challenge but the results are very pleasing. Right in the X ring Q.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Very nice acquisition and great photos. Thanks!

I've said for many years ,that any one who call themselves a pistol person ,should have at least one of the following; Colt 1911 in .45 auto, A BHP, A S&W K-22 or K-38, A 4" M-19/66, etc, etc.

You hit it on the head...If you're going to have a 1911 why not have the original?

And Mr. Lee is correct about those H&G 68's over 4.0 of BULLSEYE. You will be surprised, maybe even amazed. I have both a Wilson CQB as well as an Ed Brown Commander that shoots that combo very accurately.

I DO cast that slug too.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Very nice! That thing is like a time capsule, dam. Now get yourself some Sons of Anarchy grips and you can pretend you're Clay Morrow Wink

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice gun and interesting story. Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 987 | Registered: January 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Congrats on that 1911!

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of D4Heavy
posted Hide Post
Q, buy you a double stack 9mm in 1911 platform (STI, Nighthawk, Wilson 2011 etc..) and I swear, you will never shoot another gun again.

Posts: 398 | Location: Alabama | Registered: December 23, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice gun Q. If you like it I have it's NOS brother in blue Big Grin. Now get a 1911 in 9mm too Wink.

Posts: 905 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D4Heavy:
Q, buy you a double stack 9mm in 1911 platform (STI, Nighthawk, Wilson 2011 etc..) and I swear, you will never shoot another gun again.

Atlas Gunworks Cool

Posts: 905 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
pre-printed form letter that they just filled in the specific info of each gun.

That form letter cost $100 Roll Eyes

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Update with range report in OP, with a question regarding a specific ammo.

Q

Posts: 26384 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Colt's trigger felt a little wonky and/or mushy while shooting until Grayguns tuned it. You may be feeling the grittiness thing. A crisp 1911 trigger with a short reset is a thing of joy. I recommend a trip to a good 1911 'smith.

The ammo feed problem could be due to the feed ramp, or magazines. Or possibly something else that a good 'smith knows. My 1911s (.45, 9mm, and 10mm) all work well with hollowpoint and flat-nose ammo, but they also have a number of rounds down the pipes. It's my understanding that the original .45 ACP specs were designed for the traditional round-nose 230 grain bullets. Flying ashtrays can cause feed issues, primarily with older pistols. Wild ass guessing -- give the Colt more rounds with 230 ball ammo, maybe polish the feed ramp, then try the Ranger ammo again.

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just musing. IIRC, the original Gold Cups were designed for Bullseye. Back then, the favored rounds were 185 gr. Is it possible the pistol was optimized for that weight/shape and would naturally have problems with modern SD loads?

Re the heavy feeling trigger. Maybe it needs some dry-fire, shooting. An anomaly, since most Gold Cups have sweet triggers.

Regardless, nice find.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will admit that I'm no 1911 expert, but do the Series 80 Gold Cups have sear depressor springs? I know my Series 70 Gold Cup has one. Could that possibly be the issue, or maybe a contributing factor, to your wonky trigger?

FWIW, my GC has a really sweet trigger. While it was customized, it didn't have a trigger job done on it.

Also, my GC didn't like the latest-greatest JHP at the time, 230gr Hydrashocks (kinda tells you how long it's been since I've shot it). Maybe yours needs to be broken in, maybe a ramp/extractor job would help, maybe a different weight recoil spring or recoil/hammer spring combo?

It might also help to detail strip the pistol and do a thorough cleaning of the trigger components (WATCH OUT FOR THE SEAR DEPRESSOR SPRING!!!...ask me how I know this... Wink ).

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NOT compromised!
Picture of SIGWALLY
posted Hide Post
Gold Cups in .45 amp from Colt come from the factory with 14# light target recoil springs. Set up for 185 match target loads. This possibly caused excess slide velocity when shooting those 230 +p loads. The magazine spring simply could not raise up those rounds quick enough to be grabbed by the slide when closing.
Recoil spring weights for standard "Hardball" loads need to be 16# as specified by Colt. Also the magazine springs should be strong. Replace if weak feeling. Also there seems to be wear on your magazines showing trigger bar ( or trigger bow ) rubbing. This will increase pull weights and cause strange trigger pulls.
Trigger pull weights with mags inserted or without cause different pulls.

Posts: 1527 | Location: Tampa Bay, Florida | Registered: July 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Some good observations SIGWALLY. I see on 1 mag, a half assed attempt to deburr 1 witness hole by perhaps a file? That said, Q what is up with those mags? Outside of feed lips down, they look dug all to heck, maybe by mag catch or grip screws? On my phone, 1 looks even dented vertically down the mag catch side. Can you shoot a close up of those mags left side? The magazine followers look to be different in each of 2 magazines.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
Some good observations SIGWALLY. I see on 1 mag, a half assed attempt to deburr 1 witness hole by perhaps a file? That said, Q what is up with those mags? Outside of feed lips down, they look dug all to heck, maybe by mag catch or grip screws? On my phone, 1 looks even dented vertically down the mag catch side. Can you shoot a close up of those mags left side? The magazine followers look to be different in each of 2 magazines.

pics of both sides would help,.

the pic of the mag (right side, where the catch engages) does show that mark at the hole,
file a burr? or trigger bar, hard to tell

the later pic, showing the other side, looks like it hits the mag release, and drags,

may want to pull the mag release (takes all of a second) and see if the internal section has a rough edge or burr,

and as Mr. Lee said, a good bullseye type load would show this gun's potential,

or grab a box or 10 of some FGGM, 185gr

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post