SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    If I were going to have only one 1911, might as well get a Colt. ** UPDATE: Range Report in OP **
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If I were going to have only one 1911, might as well get a Colt. ** UPDATE: Range Report in OP ** Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted
I've lost count how many times I've acquired a 1911 only to get rid of it later. It's complicated relative to modern day pistols and, justified or not, has a reputation of not being very reliable. Eek Razz But, something about it just is attractive like no other pistols. Maybe it's the history, and maybe it's just a beautiful piece of engineering.

So, here I go again with the 1911. Wasn't even actively searching for one. Just happened to see a bunch of beautiful old 1911s from the Colt Archives Collection up for sale, some very scarce, some with serial number 1. Folks were furiously chasing after those, leaving this lowly stainless Gold Cup National Match for me. I put in a bid, fully expecting not to win. But, WTH, I ended up with it. Eek

The gun is all original, complete with everything. Man, it was clean but bone dry. Probably hasn't been shot for decades. The slide was almost impossible to rack. But, after field stripping, cleaning, and lubing it, it is now smooth sailing. Based on the documentations, it appears that the gun was made in 1986 and placed in the Archives Collection at that same time. It was subsequently auctioned off in 1996.

Will this be shot? You bet. In the meantime, enjoy some pics. Cool

7/24/19 - 1st RANGE REPORT - Getting acquainted with the gun.
Before range time, I measured the trigger pull weight with my Lyman digital trigger scale, and it averaged ~ 4.5 lbs of five pulls. Quite a gritty travel, then a clean break. Not what I would call great.

Ammo: 150 rds total (100 rds PMC Bronze 230 FMJ, 25 rds Win. Ranger Bonded 230 JHP, 25 rds Win. Ranger-T 230 +P JHP)

Range time:
The gun does not like the Winchester Ranger T at all, as it rendered it into a single shot pistol. 21 out of 25 rounds, it completely failed to chamber the next round, after the initial chambered round were spent and extracted. Funny thing, before going to the range, I somehow had a hunch that the Ranger T was going to be problem. And, it came to pass. There was no such problem with the other 2 ammo. Do you guys think the +P was the problem? Because chambering the top round by releasing the slide was no problem at all.

And, the strangest thing is with the trigger. At home, it does feel like 4.5 lbs. But, with actual shooting, it felt like I was pulling on a 20-lb trigger. Eek I was really struggling. So, the results are not that great. Probably could have done better with a better trigger. But, hey, a sub-par range day sure beats a day at the office. Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 12131,

Q

Posts: 26374 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
That is pretty cool!

Glad you got it to share and show off. Enjoy shooting it, I'l looking forward to your range pictures.

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! Sure looks purdy Smile

I think I've related this, before, so I'll keep it short. I avoided the .45 ACP, and 1911s in particular, ever since about forever. Lo and behold: Turns out I shoot better with 1911s in .45 ACP than anything else I've ever shot. Go figure.

I'm now up to two, and planning on a third, in 10mm.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice.
I have a blue Series 70 Gold Cup National Match that I bought used around 1975. It has had thousands and thousands of rounds through it. Currently use it for USPSA single stack competition.
Your will enjoy yours.

PC

Posts: 1336 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
If I were going to have only one 1911, might as well get a Colt.

Agree completely, I have one, a standard Colt O1991 (blued basic 1911). Only a range gun, comes out 1-2 times a year for fun.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
She's sexy Q. Nice addition to the collection. I'm sure there will be a range report.

Posts: 1570 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Nice gun, lame letter. Revolver? Never to be loaded?

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is a keeper for sure. Always appreciated the Gold Cups.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I agree, just seeing that rampant pony on the slide is a turn on.

I bought a brand new blued Colt Gold Cup National Match Series '70 about three years ago. It is an accurate gun despite having slide rattle.

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
...leaving this lowly stainless Gold Cup National Match for me.

Nice. Very nice. That dog will hunt.

My first semi-auto pistol is a Colt Delta Elite 10mm, built in the 1980s. I got it for hiking in griz country. Decent enough pistol, but it was made a boat load better by GrayGuns. Bruce & crew turned the Delta into competition accuracy, without sacrificing reliability.

To be honest, my more modern and more expensive 1911s are better in virtually every way than my Colt Delta. Kimber, Brown, and Wilson -- stunning handguns. I keep thinking about a 2011 Nighthawk, but so far I have higher priorities.

Posts: 7871 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
Nice gun, lame letter. Revolver? Never to be loaded?

All of them that were in this auction were like that. Obviously, pre-printed form letter that they just filled in the specific info of each gun.

And, pretty sure the "never to be loaded" is legalese stuff, denying any responsibility if the gun happened to kaboom on you. It's extreme, I know, but it's kind of similar to the warning, "This is a used gun. You should have a qualified gunsmith check to ensure it functions properly".

Q

Posts: 26374 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
She's a beauty. Nice score.
I'm about the same with 1911's, I love them and shoot them better than anything else but I always sell them off.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Very nice.

Being an '86 baby, myself, something like this would make for a nice 'birth year' piece.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15304 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
Great score with an interesting history!!! Enjoy!

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10194 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
I only owe two, but one of them is a co I only own two, but one of them is a Colt XSE Commander.

Posts: 1965 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Sure but make mine a series 70

Posts: 13809 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's a good looking gun. I'm very interested to see how it shoots and love your postings,pictures and targets of the 228 you did.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 19tass
posted Hide Post
Very nice!

Posts: 1204 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: November 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice. Not my favorite pistol, but I do like the 1911. I have two, both Colts, including a 70 Series Gold Cup worked over by King's Gun Works. The other is a Series 80 Govt Model that's also had a bit of work done.

If I were going to buy a 1911 now, I'd probably lean towards the reissue Series 70 Colt Govt Model.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
What a beautiful Colt, thanks for sharing the pics.

I have a Wilson Combat Elite Professional in .38 Super.

That said, I have a 70's Combat Commander chambered for .38 Super at the Gunsmith right now, getting a Kart barrel.

Yes, there is something special about a Colt 1911, IMO.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36840 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post