SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Do you store mags in your vehicles for spares?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you store mags in your vehicles for spares? Login/Join 
posted
I want to keep some spare mags ready in my two vehicles in case I need them, plus what I have on me. What say you? Do you carry one or two on you on your EDC?

GOD/Israel, family, 2nd amendment rights: in that order.
Tennessee -ELOHIM IS MY GOD!

Posts: 807 | Registered: May 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not sure your question. But I have extra mags on me for my edc and you should too. But then in my vehicle I have a completely different setup ready to go(rifle plus mags). I would have no issue on having additional mags for my carry gun in the vehicle, but once I get my way back there I'm not likely to use that anymore.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
Not sure your question. But I have extra mags on me for my edc and you should too. But then in my vehicle I have a completely different setup ready to go(rifle plus mags). I would have no issue on having additional mags for my carry gun in the vehicle, but once I get my way back there I'm not likely to use that anymore.

This....complete shooter bag, 6 pistol mags, 6 rifle mags, BOK....plus other items

3 mags in glove box and a couple full moon clips of 44mag

And an axe and shovel Big Grin

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
No spare magazines

But there are spare loaded firearms in my vehicle

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Depends on where I’m driving. Local, usual routes, pistol + a high cap spare. Driving outside of my normal radius, I take the Scorpion and a few magazines in a pack.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12620 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
My truck gun is also my nightstand gun. It goes in the truck when I leave in the mornings, and comes in with me when I get home. I have spare mags in my nightstand and in the compartment in the bottom of the driver's side door. I keep a cheap holster for that gun in the vehicle if needed. I also keep 100 rds each of 9mm, 40, and 45 in hard plastic cases stashed in a rear compartment.

I also keep a spare mag for my LCP in the vehicle door, because it is always in my pocket.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I always have at least one spare magazine on my person, and often two.

And since 9mm Glocks are what I carry 95% of the time, I also keep a few spare G17 mags stashed in my driver's side door pocket, and a few more in my grab-bag in the trunk.

Posts: 32492 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't. I EDC a revolver. I carry speedloaders on me, but not in my car. Actual incidents have shown that if you don't have it on your person, it's not going to be used. If something goes down and I can make it to my car, I'm getting out of there.

But that doesn't mean it's a bad idea to have extra gear in your vehicle if that suits your needs/wants. If you want to keep extra mags, guns, etc., in your vehicle, go for it.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes spare mags in every car or truck ,maybe one in my pocket .

Posts: 936 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Spare on my belt, always. None in my vehicle.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of spare mags in the door pocket of my truck.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great feedback. I started this also for another point. You're in your vehicle and something happens; (whatever your scenario is you can imagine or put in depending where you are)you're stranded and have to walk somewhere. That's why I want to store two extra mags in each vehicle. That with what I have on me and my loaded weapon, I'm well equipped. Boy Scout Motto: Be Prepared. If I have to go get my daughter, we'll you understand. Keep the good feedback coming.

posted Hide Post
Yes.

-----------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
I carry a spare mag in both vehicles. I carry 9mm Glocks, so one type of mag fits whatever I happen to be carrying.

Posts: 7421 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I have a firearm in a vehicle, it's because I brought it with me.

I bring the spare magazine, too.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dewhorse:

This....complete shooter bag, 6 pistol mags, 6 rifle mags, BOK....plus other items

3 mags in glove box and a couple full moon clips of 44mag

And an axe and shovel Big Grin

dew, As you may recall from a previous transaction, I live in Colleyville. When SHTF please be near me! Big Grin

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's gonna hit sometime.

posted Hide Post
OP, nothing wrong with some spare mags in the vehicle. Personally, I don't bother.

Currently I'm carrying a G19 with X-grip adapter (17 rds) in the pistol. Two spare 17 rd mags on belt and a BUG (Seecamp .32) with one reload. My specific logic for all this has nothing to do with the absolute number of rounds. Odds of expending all my carried ammo is nearly zero.

My own logic after 50 years of concealed carry:

1) Philosophy. The only stuff you can depend on is what you're carrying on your person...period. While there's no harm in spare ammo in the vehicle, I don't see it as particularly useful.

2) Two spare mags on the belt. No, but not for the total 52 round capacity. I've always carried two spare reloads, whether it's speed loaders, G17 mags or single stack 1911's. With single stacks, I'll sometimes slip a third spare mag in the pocket.

3) Reason for Item 2 is the following. Most likely the fight is over with the first mag. However, could have a malfunction and need to drop mag that was in the gun. Hence mag #2. After fight is over, I want a full mag available for the aftermath while I'm waiting for the police, ensconced or dealing with the untimely arrival of the perp's friends. No way of knowing anything in advance. It's based around a worst case scenario.

4) BUG. If you've been involved in guns for any length of time, you understand even the best may malfunction at the worst possible time. It's just in case.

5) Given what I carry on my person, it is highly unlikely I'd need to get to my vehicle after consuming 65 rounds of 9mm and .32's. The main point is that it's all immediately accessible.

6) Guns in unattended cars. I've never been comfortable with this. Not knocking anybody else's choices. However, couldn't live with myself if the gun was stolen and somebody killed or injured with it.

There is no one-size-fits all. Part is what you feel comfortable with and some is your personal circumstances. I live in the burbs with good police coverage and response times. Geography and demographics vary. As well as life style. Simply having a handgun available at the right (wrong?) time is most of the battle. Everything else is likely gravy. Awareness and tactics are as important as the hardware details, since they may allow you to avoid the gunfight in the first place.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree. Don't carry any gun stored in vehicles.

Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Not everyone will agree about leaving an actual pistol in the car, but I'm trying to figure out what the possible harm is in carrying extra magazines. I have so many as I always have at least 5 magazines for every weapon I own, and in most cases, a whole lot more than that.

We all know SIG magazines aren't quite as interchangeable as Glock magazines, but as an example:
I have several G19's, 17's, 17L's, and 34's. The mags for everything except the G19 magazines interchange with everything else, and I am not even sure how many 17 round 9mm Glock magazines I own(at least North of 50+), so why not chuck a couple of them in a nook somewhere in the car. I mean, it can't hurt. This is of course in addition to what I'm carrying on person.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6209 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post