SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Do you store mags in your vehicles for spares?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you store mags in your vehicles for spares? Login/Join 
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
Just be careful to remember they are there

You’re in Alabama so it’s not as relevant, but I live near DC, so a spare magazine could send me to jail

Just remember if you’re headed behind enemy lines that they are there

quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
Not everyone will agree about leaving an actual pistol in the car, but I'm trying to figure out what the possible harm is in carrying extra magazines. I have so many as I always have at least 5 magazines for every weapon I own, and in most cases, a whole lot more than that.

We all know SIG magazines aren't quite as interchangeable as Glock magazines, but as an example:
I have several G19's, 17's, 17L's, and 34's. The mags for everything except the G19 magazines interchange with everything else, and I am not even sure how many 17 round 9mm Glock magazines I own(at least North of 50+), so why not chuck a couple of them in a nook somewhere in the car. I mean, it can't hurt. This is of course in addition to what I'm carrying on person.

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnnyD
posted Hide Post
I carry a P228 or a P938 so yes, I do keep a spare mag for each in my truck. I don't see any harm in it.

-----------------------------------

USAF/ANG Retired

Posts: 781 | Location: Garland, (Zombieland) TX. | Registered: February 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevbo:
Just be careful to remember they are there

You’re in Alabama so it’s not as relevant, but I live near DC, so a spare magazine could send me to jail

Just remember if you’re headed behind enemy lines that they are there
That's a fair and valid point, sir.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6192 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
I always have at least two spare mags with me for my carry, could have more mags/ammo depending what I am doing. I do not store extra mags - as in leave them in my vehicles overnight.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3785 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I keep a couple of spares in the vehicle. Of course, I also keep a get home bag with another fifty rounds in the way back and there may or may not be an old police trade-in beat to hell 870 back there but I couldn’t possible comment on that.

Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.

Posts: 496 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I share vics quite often so no but I have some in a backpack which often accompanies me places and in vehicles with 3 x mags.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Browndrake
posted Hide Post
I always carry a spare mag or two in my truck.

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
- 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Posts: 884 | Location: Southwest Michigan | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carry one spare mag on my person....but it's inserted into a pistol that is secondary carry on my ankle Cool

Two mags are usually nearby in my pov.

Posts: 1063 | Location: hampton roads, va. | Registered: October 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
Ever since I watched this on live TV, I've been committed to having plenty of firepower in my vehicle.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I don't. I carry two spare 12 rounders with me, plus the 12+1 in the gun.

I live in Central Florida and own a black on black truck. Leaving a mag in the truck during this part of the year wouldn't be a problem. I imagine that it gets to be 130-150 degrees inside the truck during the summer, though. I don't really want to expose my carry ammo to that kind of temperature for long periods of time. Probably wouldn't affect it, but I don't know and don't want to find out the hard way.

Sometimes when civil disruption is predicted on the news (for example, the Ferguson verdict) I carry extra guns and extra ammo for a day or two, but I don't, as a practice, leave spare mags of ammo in the car. On the day the Ferguson verdict was expected, I had two handguns with about 50 rounds in magazines for them, plus a Ruger Mini-14 with 100 rounds for that. Once Tampa and Orlando didn't explode in violence, they went back in the safe.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I work on an army depot, so...no.

Posts: 6288 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
something like this might come in handy

http://www.sneakypeteholsters....-magazine-protector/

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I keep a spare mag in the door pocket of my car. I have one spare mag on my person. The one in the car is there if I run out while trying to get back to the car.

Posts: 1393 | Location: County 18, OH | Registered: April 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I keep a small backpack in my vehicle that's as hidden as it can be. Inside are 2 spare mags for my EDC.

Posts: 141 | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Personal vehicle - I keep a spare G17 mag or two in the truck in case I forget the spare I normally keep on my person. I use 17s as spares since they will fit 19/26 as well.

Work vehicle - chest rig with spare rifle and pistol mags is always in the vehicle. I also keep a spare pistol mag or two in Blackhawk clip on mag carriers.

I have co-workers who keep boxes of ammo in their work vehicles - this never made sense to me vs simply keeping more loaded mags.

Posts: 528 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sarge1998
posted Hide Post
My wife and I share the vehicle as our granddaughter takes her (wifes) car to school, but even so I only carry one spare magazine, I took and read too many vehicle burglary reports.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Posts: 440 | Location: Illinois | Registered: May 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post