SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Holster lubrication
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Holster lubrication Login/Join 
posted
My EDC is a P-239 in a Galco horsehide Royal IWB. My 239 is hard to extract and ask what do y'all recommend as a leather lubricant. I tried silicon spray and it leaves a frost coating in the 239.

Thanks

Posts: 92 | Location: Dallas \ Ft Worth | Registered: September 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know there are products out there but I usually just my weapon in a heavy Ziploc baggie and wrap it twice around and then insert your 239 into the holster and let it sit a couple of days. This will stretch the leather enough to give you a smoother draw without over stretching the holster. This is what most holster makers recommend for you to do. Good luck.

It's kids like you, who make this bus late.

Posts: 884 | Location: Weirton,WV | Registered: April 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Mitch Rosen Leather Lightning. (I haven't personally used this, but if he makes, recommends and sells it, it would have to be good.) https://mitchrosen.com/products/additional-products/

Posts: 27948 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Galco has a product called "Draw-Eze" that smooths it up pretty well.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always use the wrap-it-in-plastic method, and it works. Several Galco holsters, Bianchi, Don Hume, all good holsters but not custom work. On occasion, it takes more than 24 hours for the gun to fit well, but ultimately they do.

Don't use chemicals.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9156 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Leather Lightning from Mitch Rosen Leather works awesome

Posts: 442 | Location: people republic of Crapachusettes | Registered: September 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 442 | Location: people republic of Crapachusettes | Registered: September 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
I use wax paper for "fitting" a gun to a new holster if it's too tight. One or two wraps is usually enough & the wax paper makes it much easier to remove the gun from the holster than if it was covered with plastic wrap.

For lubricant/protectant I use a neutral paste shoe polish. You don't want to use anything that will soften the leather, because eventually it'll cause the holster to loose it's shape.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use the plastic bag technique. And I often just holster up and leave the gun in the holster for a week or so. That works too.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16086 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
I also use wax paper to loosen the holster.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stinx:
Leather Lightning from Mitch Rosen Leather works awesome

Another vote for Leather Lightning. I've used it to break in two holsters – a Rosen and an Alessi. A little goes a long way. I bought two bottles, but the first one is still half full.

My method of use was to apply it to relevant parts of the pistol – mainly the front of the slide and the front edges of the trigger guard. Then insert the pistol into the holster and extract it. Repeat…

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8942 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Plastic supermarket shopping bags have worked for me, they are thin, so I start using two for a couple of days, then add two more bags to make it a total of four bags, then let it sit that way for five more days.

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I don't like the baggie/wax paper method. It can distort the holster to the degree that retention suffers.

Holster break in and maintenance with a good leather lubricant, such as Leather Lightning, avoids that problem.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8942 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Misanthropic Philanthrope
Picture of MWC
posted Hide Post
Ballistol is a pretty good holster lubricant

Posts: 6772 | Registered: June 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of The Bandit
posted Hide Post
Bag method for me too.

Posts: 4334 | Location: Erie, Pa, USA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
When I worked in patrol with leather lined holsters we used pure silicone spray inside the holster for break in and maintenance. A baby bottle brush to brush out fhe lining from time to time

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post