SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Opinions of the Surefire XC-1 light?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions of the Surefire XC-1 light? Login/Join 
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted
For those who have them, what's your experience.

I'm considering one for a 320 carry, probably riding in a G-code INCOG, so I'm looking for a small light and most holster manufacturers who make WML holsters seem to do the XC-1.

I've had great experience with several Surefire products over the last 15 or so years, but I saw a lot of bad reviews of this light on Amazon.

What are your experiences?

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Awesome light for the size. While we seem to be in the age of a billzillion gigawatt lights for tactical use, I wouldn't be afraid to make a room entry with the XC1.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I tried the XC-1 for a period of time. I liked the size and weight. The lumens are plenty for most defensive purposes, especially indoors.

Unfortunately, quality/reliability is hit or miss, specifically with the internal electronics. They're notorious for developing parasitic drain and eating batteries. Not all owners experience this, but many do.

Myself and several guys I know all had that issue. Batteries would die within a couple weeks, even without any use. It's a relatively common issue.

I sent mine back, and they replaced it under warranty after a several weeks of waiting, but I ended up selling the replacement and sticking with the TLR-1s that I've been using for years. Slightly larger, but longer battery life, more output, and proven reliability.

Posts: 32505 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I have two, an original XC1 and the newer XC1B.

The XC1B has it right, at 300 lumens and better controls - ie you can access momentary or constant on easy from the same switch.

I change the batteries once a month whether they need them or not, but I've never had one drain on me.

I looked hard at a TLR7, but from all the feedback I've seen you have to adjust your grip to reach the controls, something you don't need to do on an XC1. I tried to EDC with an X300 but I don't have enough ass to keep the light from hitting the chair when carrying IWB with it.

The XC1B is on my EDC G19 and the original is on my training pistol (G19 typically but right now I have it on my G45). I cashed in some rewards points and will buy another XC1B soon for the G45 to have on full time.

Now for duty carry (if I was an LEO), I'd take an X300U or TLR1 any day of the week. I just can't make that happen while CCW.

Another option is a APLc, it's in the same size category as the TLR7 & XC1. I also considered trying one out but any savings I'd get by buying one now would be lost with the need for new holsters.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Angry Korean
with a Dark Soul
Picture of Windhover
posted Hide Post
I have one and while I liked everything about it, I ended up with one that drains battery like crazy. I don't want to replace the battery every 3 weeks (about average life span as I spent some time testing it).

It stays in a drawer somewhere.

Posts: 1169 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: October 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delong31
posted Hide Post
I dig my XC-1B. Have had it for 3-4 months and no issues with battery drain.

It is lightweight and unobtrusive with plenty of light for indoors.

Posts: 88 | Location: DFW | Registered: June 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info.

I'll go with the -1B model for sure, based on this.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
I still have the original XC-1. I might be one of the lucky ones with no problems.

I did notice that when the batteries start to go low, that the light would sometimes not turn on at first activation.

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
Thanks for the info.

I'll go with the -1B model for sure, based on this.

For sure. Surefire really got the switches right with the XC1B IMO. If you hold for more than .1 sec, its momentary. Less than that, it's constant. I've tried to do fast but useful momentary activations that result in constant on instead - it's really not possible. Other companies have used .25 or .5 seconds and it's easy to get into the wrong mode with that but .1 you can only really tap and release for constant, anything else is momentary.

300 Lumens for a CC weapon is more than enough IMO.

Again for an OWB / duty type rigs, a TLR-1 / X300 is obviously superior.

Honestly I was hoping my original craps out so I can ship it back to Surefire - everyone I've heard of doing this gets an XC1B in return. But on my training G19 it just keeps trucking along and turns on when I use it.

posted Hide Post
My thoughts on the original non-b model - it’s enough light to identify a target but not suitable for defense use because it isn’t bright. I want an overwhelming amount of light to blind an attacker.

X300 is a better choice unless it’s for cc.

-Freq

Posts: 192 | Registered: May 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the XC1A and really like it. The rail clamp on mine broke after maybe two years. Surefire fixed it. I personally like the switching on the A better as I see constant on as having limited value and appreciate simple momentary switching.

Posts: 5163 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:
I personally like the switching on the A better as I see constant on as having limited value and appreciate simple momentary switching.

Agreed. I was disappointed with the change to the B model.

Posts: 32505 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the original XC1 and found it not totally reliable and the switch was awkward to get to a constant on. Bought the B model and like it, have it on the gun I keep in the house. Another small light is the Streamlight TLR 7, 500 lumens in a small package, I have one on my carry gun. Streamlight put an odd switch on the light which many, including me, find harder to use than other switches. You can find some really good reviews of these and other lights on you tube.

Posts: 241 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
I love my XC-1.
Awesome little light that's perfect for concealed carry.

I'd had one for about 3 years now that rides on my 320 Compact (mainly because it's the only holster I have for the XC1) and, knock on wood, it's been hassle-free.

As a matter of fact, I may need to look into getting a new holster made...

Posts: 12541 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I have an XC-1. It's in a parts box now. It just got replaced by the Streamlight TLR-7.

What the Hell, Surefire? Really? Streamlight cleaned your clock on these small WMLs.

I don't like the XC-1 mounting system. It seems almost guaranteed to gouge the rail of your polymer pistol if you tighten it down to the degree you want.

200 lumens? Weak Sauce. 300 lumens? Hmm, I'm skeptical.

The Streamlight is a flame thrower for a one cell WML, and it uses a battery that doesn't die after a very short time.

Y'know, a few years back, Surefire showed a mockup of a single 123 cell WML at SHOT...

...and then, they gave us the XC-1. What the Hell?? Maybe Surefire's design that never made it to market didn't allow for changing the battery without removing the WML from the pistol. Well, the Streamlight TLR-7 does.

My first non-Surefire WML. I put it on my G19 RTF2 and carry it in a Wilderness Safepacker.
Yes, unlike the Surefire XC-1 and X200/300 WMLs, you have to shift your grip to activate the light with your firing hand. It's a minor thing IMO. Your trigger finger can't do both things at once anyway- you can't activate the WML and pull the trigger at the same instant. I'm not concerned by the position of the switched on the TLR-7. My TLR-7 blows my XC-1 out of the water when it comes to light output. Surefire could come out with a 500 lumen model of the XC-1 that has a two hour run time and I still wouldn't go back.

FWIW

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107551 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 300 Lumen XC1B is only 300 for a minute or two then falls way down. Pure marketing silliness. And you need the a NiMH rechargeable to get the 300. Lithium AAA won't do it.

I liked the XC1 original on a Glock 19, like it was designed for it. But the locking bar is not 1913 spec and the thing will move around under recoil on a 1913 spec rail unless you tighten it enough to gouge the rail.

Haven't tried the TLR-7 but maybe I will now.

Posts: 4713 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I will fear no evil..
Psalm 23:4
posted Hide Post
I have the original on my G19. I love it and have not had any problems with mine. I’m not a light guy on a gun at all, but this thing is so small and designed to fit flush on the G19, I found a crazy good deal on an open box and jumped on it.

Posts: 947 | Location: NJ | Registered: September 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have 3 of them on both Glock 19s and a 17. Two XC-1A's and one off the B models. One of the A's had the battery drain issue and was replaced by Surefire and have no problems since then. The B model has been perfect from day one. I prefer the B model for the 300 lumens and have used it in a force on force class on a G17 and it was bright enough in the house where we trained for me. Probably not enough light for outdoors but like everything there are usually trade offs.

I just bought an APLc to try. Still need to get a holster for it.

Posts: 324 | Location: GA | Registered: August 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just bought my third XC-1 (another B-model), still happy with all of mine.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by l33571:
Probably not enough light for outdoors but like everything there are usually trade offs.
This is why the XC-1 doesn't work for me. Mine was not on a house gun. It's a pistol I carry, not all the time, but quite a bit. In a dark alley or a huge parking lot at night, the XC-1 is just not bright enough, but the TLR-7 really lights up the night and it uses a more reliable battery.

Light activation of the TLR-7 with the offhand thumb works very well. Also, the TLR-7 is programmable, to use a strobe mode if you desire. This might be of use in dealing with animals.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107551 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post