SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Tell me about a Springfield XDm 4.5 9mm
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tell me about a Springfield XDm 4.5 9mm Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted
There is someone in my neighborhood selling one for $400. It looks to be in good condition.

What are the forum opinions on this pistol?

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Though SA, Inc will never see any of my money, I did rent one to compare against other strikers.

The grip safety didn't bother me as much as I expected, but I did notice it. The grips themselves are decent. The real thing I disliked was the trigger. Just pure mush. The reset wasn't any better. Some may like that feeling, I prefer a clean, short take-up to a crisp break.

I shot it just fine (see below), but I'd rank it middle/bottom of the striker fired offerings on merit of the firearm alone. Add in it's imported by SA, Inc. and it drops off any list of firearms I will ever own.

This is actually the 3.8" barrel:

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
I like mine enough to have it as m6 main IDPA gun for the last 6 years. Changed sights and put in a powder river precision trigger kit. Has 0 failures in ~10,000 rounds...

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
Mine is my favorite centerfire pistol that I've ever owned. It just works for me. I shoot it very well. It's my primary house gun. I'm a huge XD fan, I've owned a half dozen examples of different models and calibers and they've all been reliable and good shooters for me.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
I know that the bi-tone models have been selling new for as low as $350 online. Seems to me like Springfield might be discontinuing them

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
They are. I got my bi-tone 5.25" for a great deal because of it.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the 4.5 xdm 9mm and it has been my night stand pistol for 8 years. I hate Springfield now but I do like this gun better than my glock out of the box. Plus 19 round flush fitting mags are nice

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
I know that the bi-tone models have been selling new for as low as $350 online. Seems to me like Springfield might be discontinuing them

Where are they $350? Id snap one up for that

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
I have shot the 'old' 9mm Tactical and was impressed by the accuracy and reliability.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve seen 40sw for $350 but not the 9mm. I have a 4.5 with threaded barrel and suppressor sights. I like it trigger is good, I like the grip safety and loaded chamber indicator. $400 is a good price.

Posts: 568 | Location: Beaumont TX | Registered: March 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:

Where are they $350? Id snap one up for that

Looks like the few I saw as that price expired but here is one for $417

https://www.handgunhaven.com/p...ry-xd-m-706397905286

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Cheap XD/XDm prices doesn't surprise me. It's taken a while, but it does seem like quite a few shops around here are reluctant to carry as much SA product as they once did. As I said in the past, I certainly don't push the stuff, nor will I order it in.

That said, I will say that I never had any real problems with my old XDm 4.5 in 45AUTO. I didn't really bond with the gun, which is why I sold it a few years back: mushy trigger with no defined break point, silly, blocky grip texture that was completely ineffective, sights that were damn near impossible to push out by hand, a grip safety that...well...'tickles', and a grip angle not particularly friendly to my Glock-infused bones and muscles. Yet it still shot very well for me, and quite easily was it to do so with. However when I finally bought a G21 and put my universe once again back in alignment Wink, the XDm became quite expendable. So it went and even without Springfield's political shenanigans I won't ever miss it.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is my wife's bedside gun for 4 years. She shoots it quite well. Points easy for her and shoots soft. I like that she has 20 rounds at her disposal when i am not home. It has been 100% reliable with ball and SD ammo. I shoot it OK but the trigger is in the bottom half of the striker fired triggers I have experienced.

Posts: 179 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: November 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post