SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sig P220 ST w proprietary rail - questions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig P220 ST w proprietary rail - questions Login/Join 
posted
A person locally has a stainless P220 made in Germany w integral rail:

Two questions:

Are adapters available anywhere -- anymore -- to take standard rail mounted accessories? Since modern guns have pictany rails, I remember reading you have to use adapter for this rail. I read they are scarce and without one some lights were too tight to slide on.

Is there a problem with leather holsters? Does s standard nonrail holster fit or must you use a rail holster? The integral rail is subtle, compared to a picatiny rail, so I am wondering would a nonrail holster work? I am speaking of using high quality custom leather.

Robert

Posts: 2560 | Location: Ark, USA | Registered: January 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and every one of them words rang true and glowed like burnin’ coal.
Picture of TannerBoyl
posted Hide Post
I have two of the older proprietary rail P220STs. I haven’t seen a light mount adapter for sale for years. They used to be available directly from Sig Sauer. I had never bothered with purchasing one.

The good thing about the older P220STs are that they have the same dimensions as a standard non-railed P220. It would be similar to a P220 frame with cutouts to create rails.

Another option is to add a Sport Comp. Sig Sauer used to sell them for around $150. In recent years, I looked into getting one for fun, but the secondary market price was more than I could stomach.

I hope that I helped.

Posts: 4594 | Location: Redondo Beach, California | Registered: February 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
I have two of them, also. Wicked nice guns. One is set up with an Aimpoint. You should buy it even if you can’t use the rail.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Optics Planet used to and may still have the adaptors. If you do some on line scouting, you can find them. Even check Ebay, Gunbroker and some Police supply sites.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
IIRC those rails weren’t really designed for mounting lights and such...they were designed for the Sport model compensator. I’m not sure if Sig ever mean’t to actually sell them on non-comp guns. Sig being Sig likely had frames laying around and pieced together some guns. The 226 Sport has a standard Sig rail if I’m not mistaken.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
The early railed P220s were used by some Law Enforcement as a standard 45 auto sidearm.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I have a early model P220ST. As stated the early rail was for the compensater or scope mount.Same frame as the Sig P220 Sport.
Back in the day Sig sold the adapter.
The gun is so heavy as is, the thought of hanging more stuff on the front end is not a pleasant thought, might as well carry a rifle.
I bought 2 of the compensaters years ago from E-Gun Parts for $25 each, I then had to buy a 5" Sport barrel to work with the comp.I discovered that it all looked cool, it didn't shoot any better.

Posts: 4623 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post