SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Taurus PT1911 - Anybody own one?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Taurus PT1911 - Anybody own one? Login/Join 
posted
The recent R1 thread got me to looking at less expensive 1911s. And I ran across the Taurus PT1911. For around $475 and with the set-up it has, it looks likes like a deal. I am not a fan of the "lockable" security system but that seems to be its only drawback.
And I am aware of the hit or miss Taurus quality issues. But the gun does get some positive reviews.
So... Any PT1911 owners out there? What is your experience with the gun and whats your current round count?
Thanks in advance!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Had an early one. Went back twice and the second time I told them to send me a check, not the gun. Hopefully they have improved since then.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have three: two in 9mm in stainless and one in 45 acp with blue finish.

My 45 has run flawlessly. Only gripe is the finish is a bit thin in places. Over time, I’ve actually begun to like the look though.

Of the two 9mms: one is my wife’s and has about 250 rounds max through it. No issues.

Mine has approx 2000 through it, mostly my reloads. Function has been flawless. Only issue occurred in the first 10 rounds: front sight came off, revealing some really bad tooling marks where the slide had been milled. Taurus replaced the slide. Took about ten days total to send in and get back.

ETA: I’ve replaced the full length guide rods with standard GI set ups. The lockable security system is a non-issue for me, but a new hammer is a relatively easy fix and will eliminate the security system.

They are decent 1911s for the money.

Posts: 1359 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I had one several years ago. Stainless, 45...I didn’t really have it long enough to wring it out. I only put a few hundred rounds through it before selling it (divorce).
I do remember it was worse than other 1911s I’ve owned about letting me over insert 10 round magazines.

Posts: 6288 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
There's one in .45acp at the local gun shoppe that has been sold and then reappeared as a used gun at least three times that I know of. That seems suspicious to me. The shop owner remarked to me that he was getting pretty tired of it reappearing as trade material.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Just don't.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SiGagain
posted Hide Post
I had wanted to dip my toe in the lightweight 1911 pattern pistol and years ago bought a Taurus PT1911AL...

Not one issue that was the fault of the pistol...it isn't finished in the way a Kimber or SIG is but mine goes bang every time I press the trigger...it is not my favorite but I wouldn't hesitate to carry one to defend myself or someone else...

Good luck with your quest...

Fast is Fine...Accuracy is Final
*SiGARMS GSR Revolution STX
*SiG/Sauer*P220*P226*P228*P230*P245*SPC2009*P365

NRA Benefactor Life/LEAA Life Membership

Posts: 2410 | Location: ChicagoLand, USA | Registered: November 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses, guys!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
A good friend has owned one for easily well over a decade. He's probably got 5000+ rounds through it by now, given how often he takes that thing out for spin. I've shot it on several occasions; I've never seen it bobble. Almost chose one as my first 1911 but went in a different direction.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recall reading that their grip panels are not standard size and not interchangeable with other 1911s.

Posts: 480 | Registered: February 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
▲ Panels are fine. Mine both wear aftermarket grips. The difference to note is the cut for the ambi safety is larger than most grips. Strong side only will fix it. So will a file.

I have two, both 45s. One is of too low a round count to really comment on its reliability, the other is about 1000-1500. It had a jamming issue originally, but tuning the extractor and cleaning the firing pin channel have it now running 100%. Its a good gun, as long as you aren't judging against Dan Wesson or similar. Also my first exposure to Heinie style sights. Better gun than my Philippine produced Metro Arms.
When they were basically giving away the 38 Super variants, there were a couple guys building 10mm on the Taurus frame/slide.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Taurus PT1911

A fella at work here has an OD green one.
My wife absolute loved it when he brought it over to my range.
It ate everything I fed it.
I was impressed enough with it to consider finding one for the wife to plink with.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
I have one in 9mm. When I bought it, it had a broken extractor. Taurus fixed it on their dime, and it has run flawlessly ever since.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6021 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of T.Webb
posted Hide Post
My first 1911 was/is a Taurus. Since then, I've added (3) Kimbers- 2 went bye-bye, a Sig Tac-Ops, an Ed Brown, a GSG .22, a Rock Island 9mm, and a Wilson Combat. Aside from wear on the finish, that Taurus has been pretty good to me. B-b-b-ut ... iffin I were to start anew, I'd take a serious look at the Rock Island guns. Also flawless. More than I can say for the 2 Kimbers that just didn't live up to their hype. And with RIOA, you can opt for their full blown tactical version or just get a Mil-Spec and customize it as you see fit.

"Tonight, we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done". {George W. Bush, Post 9/11}

Posts: 842 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. / Stephentown, N.Y. | Registered: March 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought one many years ago. It's very accurate and I have never had a failure to feed or eject. I did find the bluing to be thin. It sort of has a patina on edges despite being kept in a case and never carried.

P220 (.45)
P225
P226 (9mm)
P228
P229 (.40)
P365
P6
SP2022 (9mm & .40)

"...it's better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it." - Clarence Worley in True Romance

Posts: 370 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post