SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New - to me - Ruger P series
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New - to me - Ruger P series Login/Join 
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
That '89 is a hoss.. or really a mule... yes big and all metal... not what folks are wanting these days... but it will run forever and do what it was built for....

I was a big fan of Ruger P 9mms for years.... Even have a P89x.... the only thing I don't like about the Ruger Ps is having to push that eject thing down and keeping it down during disassembly and putting it back together.... but still a lot easier than any striker fired plastic gizmo....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Yup, big and a little clunky, but they will shoot forever.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gambit
posted Hide Post
The P series is a lot of value for the fun.
I owned a P345 and it was a fine 45. I shot a friends P90 and I like it better.
Congrats.

Posts: 915 | Location: Acadiana | Registered: February 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Love them old centerfire P Rugers. I've had the P89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95, 97. My favorite is the P90. Still have one. It's the .45 that I'd pick over all other .45s out there.

I have owned the P89, P90, P93, P94, & P95 Rugers. All are overbuilt and will feed just about any ammunition. Did not purchase a P91 (.40 cal.) or the original P85 (9MM). I had always heard that the P85 was not accurate and just never located a P91.

The ones that I still own are alive and well. Excellent home or vehicle guns. I would trust any of them for self defense. Not so much for concealed carry.

Posts: 792 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
The first gun I bought myself was a P-85 In ‘87 or ‘88 timeframe while stationed in OK. Later sent it to Ruger for the recall, then ended up trading it in for a stainless P-89DC when those came out (early ‘90’s). Still have it!

I used to use it in local speed steel and IPSC-style matches in the Eglin AFB area (NWFL). It shoots anything, accurately, and is ultra-reliable. The only two occasions I remember it failing were both MY fault — in one case I limp-wristed the shot resulting in a stovepipe malfunction, and in the other case I failed to fully seat the mag in a speed reload resulting in a failure to feed. That P-89 was also my first EDC in a GALCO F.L.E.T.C.H. holster.

Ruger P-89: big and clunky and reliable — like me! Wink

Enjoy that wonderful old Ruger!

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1677 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
The P89 was my first DA/SA semi auto.
I had a Glock 17 at the time and traded it to my buddy for his P89 around 1998.
He thought the G17 was the coolest thing ever and I liked the P89 better.
It may have been heavier but it felt more like a gun to me and I shot it better.

I had it for a few years and shot thousands of rounds through it, mainly my reloads and never had an issue with it.
It was stolen when my house was broken into almost 20 years ago or I would most likely still have it.

Posts: 1470 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Yup, big and a little clunky, but they will shoot forever.

Excellent summary jhe888.

Posts: 792 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
P97DC owner here.

The metal-framed Ruger semi-autos [except 22s] were just a tad too thick for my hands.

The P97 is not an award winner, but it is reliable and accurate enough to both fun and life saving.

I don't shoot my P97 often, but it cycles any ammo and hits where I want it to when I do my part.

It doesn't feel slippery in my hands- but I have skateboard tape around it.

Sigs and Non-Sigs: I enjoy having options!

Posts: 683 | Location: South San Joaquin Valley, CA | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
Here's a shot of my new to me 300-prefix 1989 Ruger P85. Note the two distinct varieties of early P85 factory magazines. What's that old chestnut? "The only three things to survive a nuclear will be cockroaches, Twinkies and Ruger P-Series pistols."

Posts: 3488 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hjs157:
Here's a shot of my new to me 300-prefix 1989 Ruger P85. Note the two distinct varieties of early P85 factory magazines. What's that old chestnut? "The only three things to survive a nuclear will be cockroaches, Twinkies and Ruger P-Series pistols."

I had not heard/seen that quote about Ruger and nukes in a while. My remaining Rugers and I thank you!

posted Hide Post
I had an 89 years ago and it was quite a pistol. It fired and shot perfectly. It was a police trade in and had it refinished. I changed out all of the springs on it with new ones, although I never want to do that again. Mostly due to the 2 part mag. release being a pain in the neck getting back together again. But overall a great gun.

Posts: 6842 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I had a P95DC years ago. Yes I traded it off, and yes, I now regret it.
Same story with a P90.

We will colonize Mars someday, and I would wager that no matter what level of tech we are at, you will be able to find an example of a 1911 pattern pistol, and some iteration of the Ruger P series bouncing (and rattling) around under the seat of some deep wasteland explorer rig

Very nice find. You’ll enjoy it.

Posts: 6289 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post