SIGforum
P226 for IDPA Decocker issue

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/9130055044

April 15, 2018, 11:11 PM
P320Mac
P226 for IDPA Decocker issue
Wish to add to list of lighter 9mm pistols that pass the IDPA rules. With SAO pistols, rule requires hammer cocked and safety engaged (cocked and locked). With DA/SA pistols, one may start with hammer down OR cocked-and-locked. However, rule says if pistol has a decocker, the decocker must be used. Thus a DA/SA pistol with a decocker must start DA, which is usually disadvantageous.

It looks as if a 226's weight is at the top end of "light." However, the DA/SA models seem to have decockers. Does a 226 model exist not having a decocker?

Mac in Michigan
April 15, 2018, 11:20 PM
Uncle Malice
Yes. There is a P226 SAO. The triggers are quite nice. No decocker and no double-action trigger pull.

I think that's what you're asking? If you're asking if there is a DA/SA version of the P226 without a decocker.... the answer is no.
April 16, 2018, 07:58 AM
gtmtnbiker98
Just to clarify the rules, when dealing with DA/SA, note that some are selective DA/SA and are equipped with safeties that afford the ability to run SAO. Particularly, HK USP's and HK 45's have the ability. SIG DA/SA pistols do not have a safety and are not designed to be ran other than decocked (hammer down). IDPA states that the gun when starting must be in the "mechanical state of readiness" in this case, all DA/SA SIG Classic line pistols are hammer down.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
April 16, 2018, 08:27 AM
Blume9mm
After doing shooting for a number of years... I've finally determined that the disadvantage of having your first shot double action and then followed by single action is really more myth than reality. I've determined as of late (I reserve the right to change this opinion later) that grip and trigger control is a much more important factor.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"
April 16, 2018, 08:55 AM
P320Mac
Many thanks. Your responses have been of great help. Whether myth, true, false, or something else, strength-limited competitors do not wish the first shot to be heavy and would like shots to involve about the same feel.

The 226 SAO pistols with lighter frames seem to be "Legion" and relatively expensive. One review noted rusting of slide and bad trigger. However, a SAO that was made mid-week with good trigger sounds like fun. After the P320 event, sure would wish to inspect pistol before purchase.

Lighter-weight, 9mm, hammer-fired, IDPA pistols
include Ruger 6722 (1911 Commander type) and Colt LW Commander. Will take a look at H&K.

Again: Thanks.

Mac in Michigan
April 16, 2018, 09:15 AM
Ryanp225
Sounds like you'd benefit from a polymer framed striker fired pistol.
April 16, 2018, 01:13 PM
John3200
There is no such thing as a DA/SA P226 without a decocker, to answer your original question.
April 16, 2018, 01:17 PM
John3200
Don't worry about the DA/SA trigger on your P226, just get out there and shoot. The is nothing about the first DA shot that any shooter fit enough for any type of IDPA event can't handle.
April 16, 2018, 03:57 PM
F12517
What division are you trying to shoot?
SSP or ESP?
An SAO Sig P226 is not legal for SSP, but is legal for ESP.
A DA/SA Sig P226 is legal for SSP, but must start decocked.

If you are looking to shoot SSP, there is no such thing as a SSP legal SAO gun. This is the reason the polymer striker guns rule SSP these days....
April 16, 2018, 07:23 PM
4MUL8R
I found that the P220 SAO with the standard frame was not comfortable for me to use. The safety snicking off action of my right thumb required that the web of the hand go above the "point" of the grip frame. The various versions of Elite or Legion with "beavertail" grip frame probably would not cause this discomfort. But, I ended up standardizing on the DA/SA actions on all my Sigs.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...
April 16, 2018, 10:42 PM
P320Mac
Striker fired pistols rule. However, as what turned out to be an interesting task, the goal was to discover/list 9mm hammer-fired pistols for use by strength-limited competitors in IDPA. As it developed, I learned about decockers and more details of IDPA's rules.

Following up on a suggestion:
The H&K USP exists in ten "variants." Variant 9 (safety on left) and Variant 10 (safety on right) are the sole DA/SA without decocker - "Control lever" acts just as thumb safety. A Ruger 6722 costs less and is easy to improve - if needed - a conventional 1911 that includes all of the parts of the original.

The ENP4 is delightful, but not having a barrel bushing limits one.

I have learned - with your help. A striker-fired, 9mm, pistol that can be worked on is optimum in the lower divisions.

Mac in Michigan
April 18, 2018, 07:23 AM
Riley
You may look at a Berreta PX4 model or a polymer framed CZ pistol. Both should be more budget friendly than a Sig Legion.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.
April 18, 2018, 08:55 AM
Jim Watson
You could use a HK V1 either way.
Decock for SSP, cocked and locked for ESP.

Ref:
8.2.2.1 (ESP) Start Condition:
B. Selective DA/SA firearms may start cocked and locked or de-cocked, at the shooter’s discretion.
April 18, 2018, 12:14 PM
JAFO
The DA pull on my friend's Tangfoglio (CZ clone) is incredibly light. Way lighter than my X5 Allround, although my single action is a little bit better. You should take a look at the options in that lineup.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
"I drank what?" - Socrates
April 18, 2018, 06:46 PM
ftw
I shoot a CZ P-07 that I did a good bit of work to and have a light smooth first DA shot. I prefer to decock because as much as I like CZs I cannot reach the safety without shifting my grip.
I do pretty well and DA first shot is not a problem.
April 19, 2018, 07:47 AM
P320Mac
Helpful. . . . and I went back to re-read the IDPA rules about "starting."

Wording is not a model of clarity. The most likely and intended rule about DA/SA is:

DA/SA must either start cocked-and-locked or alternatively start de-cocked. If starting de-cocked is chosen, any de-cocking button/lever must be used to de-cock.

The rule's current words could be interpreted to require use of a de-cocking button/lever when it exists.

If the above interpretation is correct, my concerns are moot. Words have meanings.

Mac in Michigan
April 19, 2018, 08:45 AM
henryaz
quote:
Originally posted by P320Mac:

Wording is not a model of clarity. The most likely and intended rule about DA/SA is:

DA/SA must either start cocked-and-locked or alternatively start de-cocked. If starting de-cocked is chosen, any de-cocking button/lever must be used to de-cock.

The rule's current words could be interpreted to require use of a de-cocking button/lever when it exists.

If the above interpretation is correct, my concerns are moot. Words have meanings.

If the gun offers both modes (like an H&K V1), the decocker need not be used if you are shooting in a division that permits SA shooting (such as ESP); you may then shoot it SA, or DA/SA. If you shoot SSP (where SA is not permitted), then you must use the decocker and shoot DA/SA.

April 19, 2018, 12:00 PM
GreenDragoon
quote:
Originally posted by P320Mac:

How is that confusing? It clearly states "IF" starting decocked, you must use the lever.
April 19, 2018, 12:29 PM
JAFO
Per what you posted, if you have a DA/SA with a safety, then you can use it and start SA (Division permitting), but you can't start with a DA/SA decocker pistol w/o a safety in SA mode.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
"I drank what?" - Socrates