SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Light strikes with 320
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Light strikes with 320 Login/Join 
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted
I've been experiencing a series of light strikes with my 320 Vtac lately.

At first I attributed it to handloads that I had maybe set the primer too deeply, but the same rounds which didn't detonate with a 2nd strike in the Vtac all went on 1st strike in a 320C. Then the light strikes popped up in some factory loads as well (Magtech).

I pulled the striker assembly out, clean/lubed it and cleaned out the striker channel. Only ran about 100 rounds through it since, but I still had one or two light strikes.

I've been shooting this 320 almost exclusively lately. It's closing in on 3500 rounds, IIRC.

Should I just buy a new striker unit? This is an issue I have not had with this gun thus far.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Blue Machine
Picture of Phred
posted Hide Post
You said you cleaned/lubed the striker assembly, usually, lubing the striker/channel is a no go. I’ve seen Glocks exhibit this same issue in cold weather because someone decided to lube up the striker. Once I cleaned the striker and striker channel-removing the oil, the gun returned to normal functioning.

Posts: 1626 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: February 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phred:
You said you cleaned/lubed the striker assembly, usually, lubing the striker/channel is a no go. I’ve seen Glocks exhibit this same issue in cold weather because someone decided to lube up the striker. Once I cleaned the striker and striker channel-removing the oil, the gun returned to normal functioning.

This ^^^
Never lube a firing pin assembly or its bore in a striker-fired pistol.

Posts: 434 | Registered: November 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
+1 on don't lube the striker. The only problem I've ever had with my P320 was when I had been shooting some filthy lead ammo and got lube in the striker channel. It gummed up something terrible, and I started getting light strikes. Cleaned it out, degreased it good with carb cleaner, and haven't had any problems since. The striker and striker channel are now part of my regular cleaning regimen, as well. Just don't lose the little springs...

Posts: 8546 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Snackologist
Picture of BigJoe
posted Hide Post
I too had what I thought was light primer strikes shooting WWB and Remington, 115 gr fmj. I switched to Sig branded ammo and never had one problem.

...You, higher mammal. Can you read?
....There's nothing sexier than a well worn, functional Sig!

Posts: 14009 | Location: WV | Registered: January 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DirectDrive:
quote:
Originally posted by Phred:

This ^^^
Never lube a firing pin assembly or its bore in a striker-fired pistol.

What he said!

Posts: 221 | Location: WI | Registered: October 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post