SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    9mm X-Gun FTEx issues – all good now?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

9mm X-Gun FTEx issues – all good now? Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
Three or four years ago there were a good many posts reporting FTEx issues with 9mm X-Guns, but I haven’t seen any such complaints for a long time. (The .40 S&W guns didn’t seem to have this problem.)

My own 9mm X5 Comp had an FTEx on its 2nd round, and several more later on. But the last of them was round 833, and I now have 3,490 rounds through it. Nowadays, there are few new X-Guns – most of them are “experienced” – so I’m thinking that this FTEx issue works itself out over time. After suffering several FTEx failures, I took care to clean the extractor claw with a patch wetted with SLIP2000 EWL each time I field-stripped the X5, so that might’ve been part of the solution too.

Some background: SIG made two versions of the X-Gun extractor, quite different in appearance. The gen2 extractor was stouter, and had semicircular “excursion” about half way along its length. I don’t know when the gen2 extractor was introduced, but my X5 Comp, made late 2013, came with the gen2 extractor.

And Bruce Gray designed an extractor to address the FTEx issue. The claw of the GGI extractor extended upwards an additional 0.025”. The slide had to be milled a bit to accommodate the extension (but the SIG extractor could still be used).

So… is anyone still experiencing FTEx issues with 9mm X-Guns?

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8945 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
Pipe Smoker, FWIW I had an X-5 Allround 9MM that never failed to extract. But, it did chip two extractors, only discovered while cleaning the gun. My solution was to bevel and polish the bottom of the extractor hooks on both as is commonly done on 1911 type pistols. I tested both the modified extractors in my X-5. Reliability remained at 100%, and it never chipped another extractor. I saw that SIG had changed to the new extractor design, but never needed one after modifying the older style extractors.

NRA Life

Posts: 1564 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just purchased a new P320X5 9mm that was built in December 2017. No FTE problems in the first 1000 rounds.

Sig P220R Match SAO .40, Sig P320 X5 9mm, Beretta 92 Combat .40

Posts: 13 | Registered: July 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
I suspect more and more of the P226-based X-Fives and Sixes have been relegated to "collector status" as values escalated thanks to the export ban to the U.S. Most probably weren't shot a ton in the first place, and those that were had their extractors updated as problems arose if they weren't already upgraded that way from the factory.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post