SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Mixed day at the range.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mixed day at the range. Login/Join 
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted
I got my .45-70 ALMOST sighted in before I ran out of rounds. The CZ Scorpion ran flawlessly, as did my S&W 625 and Ruger Mk IV. But after about 10 magazines out of my Ruger SR 1911, the front site sheared off and launched itself into the ether. I had this happen TWICE on my Ruger SR 1911 Commander, but never on a full size gun. Rather than send it back to Ruger I ordered a replacement.

I may send it back because I have to send my Mk IV back for a recall.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I remember this with your other Ruger 1911. Inclined to ask why steel sights on many firearms dating back 100 years have never done this. I am glad Ruger has the support of customers but I would never purchase one of their 1911s.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I love the fact you shoot like I do.

I went from my 45/70 to my 9mm tactical carbine to my old school Moon clipped Smith to a .22 Semi auto to a 1911.

You sir are a gun guy's gun guy and I salute you. Smile

Sorry about the Ruger, what is up with those sights. At this point I would go aftermarket.

When people find out I shoot they ask what I shoot. I smile and say anything with a trigger that accelerates a projectile. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Perhaps they will put a true aftermarket milled Novak sight on and not the mim ruger sight licensed under Novak?

Posts: 3516 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
MIM: the gift from the gods of value engineering.

One of my occasional shooting buddies had his front sight shear off his 5" like you described. Yes Ruger took care of it, but it's like living on borrowed time; you just know it'll happen again. I haven't been shooting my SR1911 very much lately so I suspect that its forward blade will be around long enough for a Dawson FO refit.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
The SR1911CMD I used to own sheared off 3 front sights in the first 6 months. No more Ruger 1911's for me.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post