SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Shot my trusty P226 in IDPA yesterday
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shot my trusty P226 in IDPA yesterday Login/Join 
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted
Fun match including one with targets out to 50 yards. I placed third overall (1-2 were masters), 2nd overall SSP, and first in SSP expert. Most accurate overall. Now I need to speed up. I have gotten most accurate a few times but the really fast guys still miss faster than I can hit. They are 40-50 seconds ahead at the end of the match even with a lot more points down. Any suggestions for ways to get myself to speed up?

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3210 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
As is said, you cant miss fast enough to win. Shooting USPSA Production with my 226, or Revo with my 625, I would just concentrate on shooting A's, and let the speed come with repetition. Dont forget to game it as well. Just have fun, and practice basics, drawing from the holster, and presentation. Hell of a nice job btw.

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7507 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
the gamers forget that it's supposed to be fun. They never look like they are enjoying themselves. It isn't life or death, I can personally guarantee that. What's more, lots of games strategy will get you killed in the real world. Just have fun. Being accurate is better than being fast.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As said in another post "concentrate on shooting A's" Speed will come with smoothness and economy of motion.

Posts: 160 | Location: Sarasota FL | Registered: April 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I shoot a 226 in 9mm in the Limited class in USPSA. I get screwed on the Minor/Major Power Factor thing, but I'm doing it for my own enjoyment and don't care where I place. I'm going to switch to a 320 Tacops just for something different.
Does IDPA still have that stupid 10 round only magazine rule? Just to keep everything "fair" because that's how the real world is?

Posts: 4658 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Yeah. The 2017 rules are a bit better; they've removed the cover calling by the SO and require lines on the ground that if you're behind you're good. Also you can reload while moving now, which was a stupid rule. But it's a flagrant penalty (10 seconds) if you accidentally put 11 rounds in a mag (except for your first one). I understand it's a game and I know I'll probably never be a master or win overall. But I would like to improve... as with any activity, I'd rather be learning and improving than stagnant.

Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LtJL:
the gamers forget that it's supposed to be fun. They never look like they are enjoying themselves. It isn't life or death, I can personally guarantee that. What's more, lots of games strategy will get you killed in the real world. Just have fun. Being accurate is better than being fast.

This is how I look at it. My wife and I have been shooting IDPA for a long time. I am an SSP Sharp Shooter, my wife is a SSP Marksman. We are on the set up and break down crew and squad with the same people pretty much every month. This is one of the main reasons we have been doing this for so long. For us it is about being safe,having fun and the people.

Speed will come with time and practice, lots of practice. A friend of ours is a IDPA Master. He is fast and accurate. He lives five minutes from the range and some times practices multiple times a week. This past weekend we shot a zombie match at our club. Scoring requires you to get head shots on Zombies and body shots on all others. It makes you concentrate more on accuracy. I surprised myself that I was only down 3 points for the whole match but I did move slower.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I wish I could see the P226 being used more, darn it. Maybe there is a SA model which would be more in tune to competing. Shoulda made a vid 1K.. Wink

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of motorheadjohn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1KPerDay:
But it's a flagrant penalty (10 seconds) if you accidentally put 11 rounds in a mag (except for your first one).

If the SOs at your local matches are giving flagrant penalties for an 11-round magazine, I'd talk to the match director and then area coordinator. That is not the intent of the FP and not called for in the rulebook.

Posts: 1051 | Location: Yorktown, VA | Registered: October 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
True, sorta.
I would give a PE for a first offense overloaded magazine, but a second offense would draw a FP.

Posts: 3287 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Newf
posted Hide Post
Nice results, congrats! I use a P226 Combat for IDPA, I'll never be fastest lol, but slowly getting better - been at it only a couple years myself. Enjoy the event for what it is, don't worry about the gamers - they do their own thing, just have fun and be safe.

Posts: 920 | Location: Canada | Registered: June 05, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Any suggestions for ways to get myself to speed up?

A couple of tips I put together this afternoon with my darling daughters help.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
Waiting for speed to come with repitition is less than ideal. You have to chase speed...

Dry fire religiously, live fire regularly, push the pace until you make mistakes... figure out why you made those mistakes... fix them. repeat.

Check out Steve Anderson's books and podcast... check out Ben Stoeger's books and podcast.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Thanks gentlemen, particularly Jerry. Lots to digest and work on.

posted Hide Post
Congrats on being in the top three, not an easy task by any means. Seems like your dedication is paying off.

Posts: 6887 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:

Jerry's video is great, and no disrespect to Mr. Jones... I couldn't agree more on the benefits of dry fire. just as a point of interest, it's not your draw getting you crushed by 40-50 seconds in a local match. Movement and target transitions are going to be the areas where you are getting smoked. Those are the areas that have to improve to make up that big of a time gap.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's my way or the Highway
Picture of piedrarc
posted Hide Post
Awesome! Keep it up!

Semper Fidelis

RIP 17843

Operation Specific Training

Bang, bang, Click

Posts: 4911 | Location: surrounded by liberals. | Registered: September 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:

You are welcome. Pick all the low hanging fruit first. There is no substitute for hard work. Shave time in the easy places. You have to front load the work and program the subconscious. If under stress you are not doing basic gun handling, that it really matters not how cool your transitions are, or how fast you can run.

Most importantly, run that DA/SA gun!

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post