SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    SIG Pistols and Rust...
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SIG Pistols and Rust... Login/Join 
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted
I have most of the classic SIG pistols and love each of them for various reasons. However, one issue that I struggle with is rust in the humid climes of Alabama, plus my ability to sweat even in winter months! Here is what I have experienced...

1) P225 (original, not the -A1): One of my most favorite SIGs of all time, yet when carried concealed during summer months it requires VERY frequent cleaning and lube due to its ability to rust quickly. My personal experience is rusting of the mag release button making mag changes impossible if not treated in advance.

2) P229 configured either as .40S&W or .357SIG... very rust resistant except for the extractor plunger... it rusts rather easily without frequent oiling!

3) P226R in 9mm... defies all odds of rust resistance; but should be the same as #2 above.

4) P230SL .380ACP: Carried almost daily with near zero care, and with zero signs of corrosion!

Thoughts?

Bill R.
North Alabama

Posts: 4573 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I had the same problem. I was constantly battling rust on the slide on my K-Kote finish P220. One of my P229's had a mag catch rust in place once after a few weeks of very hot summer weather and my sweating into it. I had to pull it apart and scrape the rust out before oiling it. Kroil helped a lot, but it didn't solve the problems I was having.

I gave up and switched to Glocks. Not a problem since. I know that's not the answer you're looking for and I'm not being flippant, that's just how I resolved it.

Posts: 17107 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
More “un-flippantly” desired, and having handled and shot a few Glocks in my lifetime (not including having had to look at the ugly things), I will choose to battle my rust issues and my sweaty body before switching to the Austrian boat anchors!

Let me be clear... I have ZERO complaints about anyone who chooses a Glock for their sidearm. It just so happens that I do not care for them based on personal experience. I know beyond any reasonable doubt that they are very reliable; they’re just not for me. Therefore I will continue to battle the minor issues involving SIG handguns. Smile

Bill R.
North Alabama

Posts: 4573 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I have had mag release rust issues on my P320SC that I carry as an ankle gun. My P320 Carry duty gun has never had a single problem, but its always in a duty holster or OWB holster, so it doesn't ride against my body. I have seen other officers's duty P320s with rust on the slide end cap, and one with rust on the barrel hood and chamber...but their cleaning and maintenance regimen was also quite poor. If I am religious about wiping down and oiling my SC every week or so, I don't have any problems.

My previous duty gun was an older pre-rail P229. It got carried in a duty holster and sometimes IWB. I never once had any problem with rust on that gun except for maybe a tiny bit on the heads of the grip screws.

I also carried a 1979 P6 for a while, no problems with rust there, either.

My currrent carry gun on my own time is a P245. I did have an issue with some surface rust on the slide, but only after doing something I shouldn't have done and leaving it in a leather holster for several days. I cleaned it off with steel wool, oiled it well, and don't do that anymore...the issue hasn't recurred.

Posts: 8534 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Oddly, the only issue I've seen over the last two summers was the mag release pin on my P239 turning brown....

I did stop carrying a Ruger LC9 specifically because of rusting.

Here's what I hope is my long term solution:

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I use Corrosion-X on all my guns and tools. I never have any rust problems.
Corrosion-X is great stuff.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16509 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I have been carrying a handgun every day for 51 years, 40 years in coastal areas of Florida. Stainless helps but it can rust. If I get thoroughly soaked the gun gets broken down cleaned and lubed. Daily maintenance includes wiping the gun and magazines down with a silicone cloth when I put it away at night, and again when I holster up in the morning. About once a week I give the outside surface a little spritz of Remoil. Following this procedure I have never had a problem with rust.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Same problem in SC. I treat all of my P series Sig mag releases with Eezox.

Posts: 1361 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Eezox is quite possibly your answer. I love that stuff and I normally don’t get into the best oil/lube discussions.

Posts: 7441 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
This. When I was first issued my P220 a few months in to the academy I found and used Eezox. Everytime I clean it I scrub Eezox on with a tooth brush and then wipe off the excess. I've never had another rust issue since.

quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
Eezox is quite possibly your answer. I love that stuff and I normally don’t get into the best oil/lube discussions.

Posts: 3446 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I was issued an older 'folded slide' P220. Monsoon summer rain and resting my arm on the back of the slide caused rust. It bothered me enough that I had a buddy apply an industrial silver finish to the slide. End of rust.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Glocks are not impervious to rust,

My New G19 rusted up big time, so much it welded the barrel hood to the slide. Glock replaced it, my G43 is on it's second barrel after the crown rusted, and the slide rusted. Glock replaced the slide and barrel, both less than a year old.

Posts: 23379 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

My New G19 rusted up big time, so much it welded the barrel hood to the slide. Glock replaced it, my G43 is on it's second barrel after the crown rusted, and the slide rusted. Glock replaced the slide and barrel, both less than a year old.

Interesting...care to share environmental circumstances, and what gen the G19 is? I have no doubt that a Glock can rust...I've just never seen it, despite abusing the hell out of my Gen 3 G26.

Posts: 8534 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I had pictures, Gen4 G19, Current Model G43 whatever Gen that would be considered.

Carry both while on Motorcycle outside, OWB, holsters are Blackpoint Tactical on the G43 and a leather OWB on the G19.

G19 went into safe with the G43 being a bit more qualified for duty in FL Shorts weather. It rusted shut, couldn't pull the slide back, had to put the end of the slide on a wood table and pop it hard on the grip to get it to release the barrel from the slide.

FL is humid and hot, and I can only determine that my body sweat is caustic to Glock coatings, as the Glocks I don't carry, ie G40 have no rust.

Glock stood by both, but rust spots on the sides of the slides, barrel hood on G19 and barrel crown on G43.

Replacement barrel on G43 showed some rust last cleaning.

Posts: 23379 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
HRK, yeah in recent years, Glock finishes aren’t what they used to be. Gen 3 and older are basically rust proof. I have pretty caustic sweat, and if I could have rusted up a Gen 2 or 1, I would have by now, no question.

bronicabill, I hope you find something that works for you. I like SIG pistols, I just gave up on them for carry partly for the rust problems is all. Maybe some day I’ll try again with one that’s had a CPII job done on it to give me better odds.

Posts: 17107 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wishbone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

Interesting...care to share environmental circumstances, and what gen the G19 is? I have no doubt that a Glock can rust...I've just never seen it, despite abusing the hell out of my Gen 3 G26.

Posts: 946 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bill: As a former Alabamian and P-series fan, my sympathies. (I also share your sentiments on the Glocks.)

The humid southern climate turned me into a total freak when it comes to oiling guns. My cleaning process, generally, is as follows on all metal parts:
- brake cleaner (non-chlorinated)
- Hoppe's 9 (fwiw, I've had success using it to remove rust--just keep rubbing with a cotton cloth)
- tw25b on the rails and other parts that obviously have rubbing (i.e., top of barrel on P-series)
- a LOT of Mobil 10w30 on every metal part (I use a clean cotton cloth saturated with oil for wiping)

My carry guns (all are all-metal guns) leak oil profusely for at least a week after cleaning, and that's fine with me, since none have rust/corrosion.

I clean my carry guns at least every 60 days, if I don't shoot them. If I sweat on them one day, I wipe with Hoppe's and then re-oil.

Over the years, I've also gotten away from IWB carry. Even with thick leather between me and my weapon, my sweat in hotter climates would get to my gun. If sweat is indeed salt+water, it's really bad. All my holsters are now Wright Leather OWBs, except my Miami shoulder, which I think is a Galco.

Happiness is a warm gun.

Posts: 447 | Location: Shenandoah Valley | Registered: February 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I had heard that post gen 3 the glock finished got less durable, which was part of the reason for my question...but that's a gen 3 in Wishbone's photo. Holy hell that's bad! I giess in a salty, humid environment, anything can rust!

Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
That glock is literally on the deck of a boat.

That didn't happen overnight. That firearm was neglected.

Anyone who leaves a firearm out (whether its near salt water or not) and doesn't properly care for said firearm doesn't get to complain about it.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6314 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Chief,

I will agree with you that it’s tough, but as an example, that Glock isn’t rusted from sweat.

Also, as an avid sweater I know the struggle growing up in Florida. But like way mentioned, the same as I may need to change my T-shirt 3 times a day in the summer, I may also need to wipe down my weapon more often. Silicone rage every evening worked well for me. Never had a firearm rust.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6314 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post