SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    SIG Pistols and Rust...
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SIG Pistols and Rust... Login/Join 
Captain Obvious
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:
That glock is literally on the deck of a boat.

That didn't happen overnight. That firearm was neglected.

I'm thinking it was in the water and they snagged it fishing.

Posts: 3364 | Registered: July 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only rust problem I have had lately is with the magazine of my 365 carried IWB. I now remove the magazine and wipe it down every day during the summer.

Posts: 65 | Location: Tennessee  | Registered: December 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Austin228
posted Hide Post
Hi, have you used either CorrosionX or Ballistol products before, both are good at being lubes while also protecting against corrosion.

I keep some of both on hand.

I've been using Hoppes No. 9 Solvent + CorrosionX or Ballistol + TW25B grease for my Clean/Lube/Protect/Rail grease.

That while living in the US south for about ~20 years of CCW, having had 10+ SIGs and no problems with them or anything else rusting.

Posts: 1467 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: March 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I have seen a number of Glocks of my requal students that have rusted, I think usually because they bought into that "Glocks won't rust" bullshit. Any steel gun, including stainless, will rust if you don't apply preventive maintenance.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Austin228:
Hi, have you used either CorrosionX or Ballistol products before, both are good at being lubes while also protecting against corrosion.

<<snip>>

I have not, but I will be getting some soon!

Bill R.
North Alabama

Posts: 4551 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:
I use Corrosion-X on all my guns and tools. I never have any rust problems.
Corrosion-X is great stuff.

How does it smell and how long does it stay strong? (the oder)
Been thinking of buying some to use on a few hunting guns.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:
I use Corrosion-X on all my guns and tools. I never have any rust problems.
Corrosion-X is great stuff.

How does it smell and how long does it stay strong? (the oder)
Been thinking of buying some to use on a few hunting guns.

It doesn't smell bad, and the smell isn't a strong or penetrating smell.
If you don't buy the aerosol can, you won't smell it much at all.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16488 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I found that my 229 was a LOT easier to keep rust free on the hwy patrol job than my old M-28 revolver.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I live in Nevada, what's rust?

Posts: 1248 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: December 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CAR
posted Hide Post
The older carbon steel SIGs with blued finish could rust fairly easily if you did not keep them wiped down and oiled. The later models have stainless steel slides and different finishes and are not nearly as susceptible to rust as the older models.

Posts: 926 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elberettas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CAR:
The older carbon steel SIGs with blued finish could rust fairly easily if you did not keep them wiped down and oiled. The later models have stainless steel slides and different finishes and are not nearly as susceptible to rust as the older models.

This is why I have had all my carbon slides refinished by CCR. Looks nicer too!

Posts: 1957 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
A local police agency here in Alabama unofficially went away from sigs due to rust.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
A local police agency here in Alabama unofficially went away from sigs due to rust.

Was that B'ham? I cannot imagine it being an issue on modern Sigs; the only one I've had trouble with is my original W. German P225... and always the mag release button and grip screws (on the left side only). Here in Madison they all carry Glops, so I haven't seen a SIG on an officer's belt in quite a few years...

Bill R.
North Alabama

Posts: 4551 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bronicabill:
quote:

Was that B'ham? I cannot imagine it being an issue on modern Sigs; the only one I've had trouble with is my original W. German P225... and always the mag release button and grip screws (on the left side only). Here in Madison they all carry Glops, so I haven't seen a SIG on an officer's belt in quite a few years...

Hoover

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
<<snip>>

Hoover

Gotcha...

Bill R.
North Alabama

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by bronicabill:
quote:

Hoover

Curious how do you know this?

Posts: 444 | Location: Shenandoah Valley | Registered: February 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
If you don't maintain them, they will all rust to some extent. Routine inspections and maintenance are a must in a PD. A poorly maintained duty firearm is a major violation in my book.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had surface rust on the down facing side of the slide on my P6 plus some rust on the mag release button, decocker and the slide release. I live in a fairly dry environment and have only had similar issues with first gen XDs and a bad batch of M&Ps. "0" issues with every other Sig I own.

Sig P226R 9mm/40/357/22
Sig P226 357/40/9/22
Sig P6
Sig P228
Sig P229R DAK 357/40/9
SigPro 2340 40/357/9
SigPro 2022 40/357/9
Sig P938 9mm/22lr
Sig P227
Sig M18
Sig P365

Posts: 790 | Location: Los Angeles, CA & SLC, UT | Registered: April 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:
That glock is literally on the deck of a boat.

That didn't happen overnight. That firearm was neglected.

Anyone who leaves a firearm out (whether its near salt water or not) and doesn't properly care for said firearm doesn't get to complain about it.

This. There’s just no way that happened quickly.
I had one of the early Springfield XD’s and I could go to the store on a summer day and there would be light surface rust all over the slide. But you could just wipe it off with a rag. What’s in that pic is something that was totally neglected. Don’t care what kind of gun ya got, anything will look like that

Posts: 3369 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Author,
cowboy,
friend to all
posted Hide Post
On the firearms that ride in my truck year around, I use "Sentury Solutions" products and followed the directions and no more rust, 5 years in a leather scabbard taped to the steering column, an old Ruger single six.

Posts: 2400 | Location: Riverton Wyoming | Registered: June 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post