SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Scored a like new Ruger Single Ten
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scored a like new Ruger Single Ten Login/Join 
Fight, Build, Destroy.
Sappers Lead the Way!!
Picture of Zacsquatch
posted
So earlier this year, I started hankering for a .22 revolver for hunting/plinking. I was hot and horny over a S&W 617 or Ruger GP100-22 ten shot. Then I saw a local ad for an almost new Ruger Single-Ten for $375. One money transfer later and here I am!

Chris Swimm and I went shooting for Easter, and we put a hundred rounds through it, what a shooter!! I should have took some pics, but at 15 yards I was able to put all 10 rounds in the 4" group with decent speed.

Likes- Price, smooooth, fun as heck.

Dislikes- Fiber optics front and rear are a bit much, I think I want to find a blacked out rear sight. I also want some Hogue rubbers on it, the wood looks classy but my giant hands could use some more purchase.

The action hasn't been worked on, but what can I do to make it even better?

Trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up

Posts: 4597 | Location: Winchester, KY | Registered: December 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
Rimfire + Single action is a recipe for a good time.

I have fond memories of a Ruger Bearcat from years ago.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11144 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pursuing the wicked
Picture of rangemaster
posted Hide Post
Consider a Bisley gripframe conversion.....

If not I reccomend Pachmayr over finger groove hogues.

Posts: 1621 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: December 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fight, Build, Destroy.
Sappers Lead the Way!!
Picture of Zacsquatch
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rangemaster:
Consider a Bisley gripframe conversion.....

If not I reccomend Pachmayr over finger groove hogues.

I found the Hogue's at the LGS for $20 and installed them last night. I like them so far, but not afraid to try others.

Posts: 4597 | Location: Winchester, KY | Registered: December 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
Darken the rear fiber with black marker, or like one shooting bud, a dab of his daughters black nail polish. It works without the need to change out the sight, or until a suitable replacement is found.

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fight, Build, Destroy.
Sappers Lead the Way!!
Picture of Zacsquatch
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TRshootem:
Darken the rear fiber with black marker, or like one shooting bud, a dab of his daughters black nail polish. It works without the need to change out the sight, or until a suitable replacement is found.

Thats exactly what I did last night. Black ones are only $14 on brownells, so I’ll add it to the cart and order when I get enough for free shipping.

Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Since you are working towards a Brownell's order...installing a lighter spring kit is a nice improvement...

https://www.brownells.com/hand...lvers-prod26254.aspx

I've never used this one, all of my changes in my cowboy action guns were Wolff springs, but all of Brownell's stuff I have used is GTG...they are pretty easy to change out...just cock and do the paper clip in the hole thing. To install the new spring to get the end thingy below the hole to reinstall the paper clip, the hammer strut held in a padded vice and a table fork works wonders to compress the spring (when you look at it you will know what I mean Wink). Here's a link...

http://www.cylindersmith.com/Ruger-spring.html

I went with a 17# on my Single Six down from the 23# factory and it still is reliable on any rimfire ammo I use...also the trigger spring totally made a difference (to get a feel on a lighter trigger spring you can unhook one leg to lighten it up...some just leave it like that, but spring kits are cheap and IMHO it was meant to use both legs)...

While you have it down changing hammer springs...polish the hammer strut with fine Emory paper (sometimes the edges are rough and drag on the spring)...

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10584 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
let us know how far out you can put ten pop cans
and knock them all down

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54602 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post