SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Used Sig P226 - Need opinions on frame rail wear
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Used Sig P226 - Need opinions on frame rail wear Login/Join 
posted
I recently picked up a used P226 locally. It had apparently been a duty weapon at some point in its life so it had plenty of holster wear. I was okay with that because I have been kicking around the idea of doing some customization to it including getting it refinished.

When I got it there was evidence of some type of grease on the frame rails. After getting it home and cleaning it all up, I am beginning to get paranoid about the frame rail wear and I am hoping that it will still be viable for my project.

Here are some photos:

In addition to the overall wear being acceptable, I am also confused about the spot on the right side at the front of the frame shown in the third and fourth pictures above, what could be causing this?

Previous owner stated he had put about 2500 rounds through it, prior to that he did not think it had been shot much at all. Thoughts from the experts?

Posts: 338 | Location: Twin Cities MN | Registered: April 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lube it and shoot it.

Posts: 545 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cous2492:
Lube it and shoot it.

Yup.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am always looking for older Sigs with honest wear. I would buy yours in a second. Lube and shoot!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It appears to me that the rails were maybe not properly lubricated. If it was I don't believe there should be that much bare metal showing..

Also for the spot at the end of the frame, that looks to me like there is some play between the slide and the rails because of the sightly exessive wear on the rails.

The wear does not look too excessive though so like others have posted.. lube it and shoot it.

USS Carl Vinson (CVN-70) Bremerton WA.
Sig P938/238 Equinox
Sig P320C RX
Colt Mustang XSP FE

Posts: 50 | Location: Southeast NH | Registered: March 02, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
The rails could be worse. Somebody didn't believe in maintenance Frown Keep both them and the slide properly lubed and you'll still enjoy years of faithful use without effect..

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
My 239 had worse frame rail wear than that after the first 500 rounds. I kept it well greased, and it never got worse, in fact it is a fine shooting pistol now with somewhere near 3000 rounds through it.

Just lube it and shoot it!

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is normal to have some wear on the frame rails. Mine have had worse and still shot like a laser.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
I am always looking for older Sigs with honest wear. I would buy yours in a second. Lube and shoot!

Honest wear is the exact wording that popped in my head. Must be a Michigan thing. But I'm a troll.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1859 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
1. Lube
2. Shoot
3. Repeat
4. Enjoy

You can get the frame refinished if it really bothers you. But never attempt to remove the old anodizing or have it reanodized. Just have a new finish applied over the existing anodizing, like a finish from CCR.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10487 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
Still years and years of life in those frame rails, especially with proper lubrication. I'd buy it and not worry a bit.

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5281 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Normal wear on an old school P226.

Use some grease on the rails.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Stainless or folded? Seems that's pretty normal for the stainless slides. I have a jk folded slide and hat has zero rail wear. I had a stainless slide P226 that showedcwear like that after 500 rounds. Both had heavy coats of slide glide.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Minor wear in the grand scheme. Lube it and shoot it. That frame has another 75k on it.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've bought and sold a bunch of LE trade in Sigs. Some if not most LE agencies prohibit grease and they must use oil only. This leads to more rail wear than normal.
Grease can trap more junk than oil or so I was told by one LEO. His joke was, "grease traps the donut sprinkles more than oil".

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Grease

“I'm fat because everytime I do your girlfriend, she gives me a cookie”.

Posts: 545 | Registered: December 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had the same question at ~3500 rounds and sent photos and queried SIG. Long and short of it was deemed "normal wear". Lucas grease it up and keep banging.

I should be tall and rich too; That ain't gonna happen either

Posts: 358 | Location: NW NJ | Registered: December 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Let me know where I can find one in that good a shape for an LE trade in... Wink

Posts: 3202 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Move along; there's nothing to see here.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tundrav84wd
posted Hide Post
Seen a whole lost worse in past years. A little more than I care for personally. Got some Sigs with thousands of round through them that don't look like that. Still OK I guess by todays standards.

How old is the gun?

Old School German Sigs,....Quality and Reliability you can consistently depend on, right out of the box.

**Remembering 9/11/2001 Celebrating 5/1/2011**

OPUS DEI CUM PECUNIA ALIENUM EFFICEMUS

Posts: 6417 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post