SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Red Dots for Dummies-Handguns
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Red Dots for Dummies-Handguns Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Automatically turns on during my draw.

I am unaware that an RMR does this. Mine don't, maybe because they are never in automatic. Can you show me the manual page that describes this. thx.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GroundedCLK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anubismp:
quote:
Originally posted by GroundedCLK:
I have several red dots including Sig, Holosun, Vortex and Trijicon.

My favorite out of all them is the Trijicon RMR Type 2 6.5MOA for these exact reasons.

The brightness auto adjusts to the environment.

Automatically turns on during my draw.

6.5 MOA is awesome, requires very little to no aiming on all close targets.

At 100 yards on a silhouette I am 9/10 shots.

Battery life is great.

Not calling you out but I had an issue with autobrightness when shooting in a dark room. Going from holster to pitch black room to x300U made the dot too dim to pick up. It corrected but after I broke the shot through irons. You may have already tried it with success but I have taken my dots out of autobright for carry. YMMV

No reason to "call me out" we all have an opinion, I tried it out the other night while shooting low light no light drills and I had zero issues with it. I was using an offsite/off hand light instead of a pistol mounted one if that possibly made the difference.

You are correct I confused the two my Sig has the MOTAC not the RMR. The RMR in automatic mode will adjust to storage conditions so you can leave it on is possibly what I was thinking.

My 320 Xcarry with Sig Romeo is nice but I prefer the RMR.

Posts: 1843 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: January 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
I'm 100% in agreement on the above. RMR Auto is not capable of much. I've tested this a bunch and simply it is not a workable solution to everyday stuff. Heck you don't need a dark room, at our range in the early am the target is in the shadows and you are bathed in sunlight. Unusable.

So you've tested the auto on/adjust a bunch, then in the very next post you say that you're unaware of a RDS that has an auto on feature? Makes me wonder....

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Makes you wonder what SgtGold? That I've actually shot an RMR in various conditions? To that point I've over 50K rounds shooting an RMR equipped gun in lots of different conditions. At this point I feel I'm pretty comfortable with what the auto adjust does/doesn't do in a very, very wide range of conditions. If it is any help to you in evaluating this feature on a Trijicon RMR I would be able to help with the descriptions of dozens of very specific situations where auto adjust does not perform well. But to be precise I didn't say that I am not aware of an "RDS" that has auto on. I am saying that I am unaware that a Trijicon RMR autoadjusting LED type 2 has auto on. RMR is not a generic term for RDS. And this feature on an RMR type 2 (specifically and more accurately an RMR07 type 2)is what was claimed. I have more than a 20 of them and none of them do it. Its not in the manuals I have. So while its not a feature I have studied or used I would be curious to know if for some reason some version of the RMR actually has that feature and I've just not been aware of it. I try to be polite when asking about things that are possible but outside my range of experience. Given how I use the RMR's I do know that it has an auto off feature which is annoying as heck for concealed carry so I make it a practice to override that, so maybe I was also inadvertently making auto on inop. Always willing to learn. But my opinion, the original statement is totally inaccurate but my question about that has nothing to do with my experience on auto adjust that I can see.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: hrcjon,

posted Hide Post
Update to my initial post and subsequent info added:
My initial choice of firearm was between a GP100, .327 revolver and a FN 509 Midsize MRD (optics ready). I have chosen/ordered a GP100. I will probably use a Weigand WEIG-A-TINNY mount.
For the optic, based on the inputs here, i am focusing on Vortex and possibly Holosun. I am on a budget and pricing does matter. I'll update later when I get it all pulled together. Thanks and please add anything other inputs.

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1527 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Is a ~6 moa dot the way to go?

Posts: 9961 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also, I was planning on sending a P226 slide to L&M for red dot conversion, but he is retiring. What other shops are recommended for slide machining?

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:
Also, I was planning on sending a P226 slide to L&M for red dot conversion, but he is retiring. What other shops are recommended for slide machining?

You can buy a slide with the romeo 1 Pro red dot mounted and still keep your unmolested slide. Here's the one for sale at Sig: https://www.sigsauer.com/rx-sl...-p226-romeo1pro.html You might find a better price elsewhere. I just got one for my 229 for $529.

John

"Building a wall will violate the rights of millions of illegals." [Nancy Pelosi]

Posts: 2409 | Location: N.E. Massachusetts | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
Is a ~6 moa dot the way to go?

It’s personal preference. To be honest, I cant see any practical difference between the RMR06 and RMR07 (3.25 v 6.5) from actual hard use.

I finally settled on the 3.25 because I like to make longer distance shots.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
My question was prompted by a retailer marking the RMRcc down to reasonable levels. However I have learned that it isn’t even the correct footprint to fit the 43X/48MOS. I suppose I’ll get a Holosun with the cheater ring to figure out if I like to conceal carry a dot, then reassess later.

Posts: 9961 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yanici:
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:

You can buy a slide with the romeo 1 Pro red dot mounted and still keep your unmolested slide. Here's the one for sale at Sig: https://www.sigsauer.com/rx-sl...-p226-romeo1pro.html You might find a better price elsewhere. I just got one for my 229 for $529.

I saw that, but my P226 is a .357. Sig does not show the bare slide for a .40/.357.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Went with a Holosun HS507K-X2 on my P365XL. I like the 2 MOA dot inside the 32 MOA reticle. Gives me gross and fine target acquisition quickly. The “shake awake” always on feature is a must in my opinion for concealed carry. You don’t have time to wait to ask the attacker to let you turn on the optic, and leaving it on full time is a huge battery waste.

Posts: 39 | Registered: October 11, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
The latest issue of American Rifleman has an article about mini red dots for pistols and charts with mounting systems and compatibility as well as info on the different slide cuts for these sights.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3448 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Been into red dot sights from the beginning.
I'll come right out and think the best red dot sight available is either the Shield RMS for double stack pistols or the RMSc for single stack pistols.
Tha's your first clue. The Shield sights are designed for pistols... not one size fits all.
There's not a lot of buttons on them. Two very small holes for zeroing the sight. That' it. The dot is on constantly. (Good for a couple years) and the dot adjusts automatically according to the atmosphere. None of that choosing brightness.
Personally for SD shooting I chose the MOA 8.
You won't need to change your iron sights. The original iron sights will work fine.
Now, the price for Shield sights is $400.
Shield has recently offered a glass lens choice.
People complained cleaning them resulted in scratches.
Again, I prefer ( original) the Polycarbonate lenses They're ten times stronger than glass! And its the pistols slide slamming that's where strength comes in.
Check Shield's web site and see who makes the RMR's
The RMR sights are popular... but.
Poli Viejo

Posts: 395 | Location: Green Valley, Arizona | Registered: May 01, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Horn:

Check Shield's web site and see who makes the RMR's
The RMR sights are popular... but.
Poli Viejo

So, you're saying that Shield makes the RMR? Confused

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Of course that's totally silly, as is a bunch of other stuff in Horn's post. But everyone gets an opinion on these things, and of course what works for one might not work for others.

posted Hide Post
I'll go ahead and throw my unqualified 2 cents in as I've seen several comments from people who seem to even be less qualified.

3.25 moa is my favorite for RMR's. If I want the dot bigger I can turn up the brightness and give it the appearance of being bigger.

In my opinion and experience, auto brightness is a useless feature, compounded greatly if you carry with a (good) weaponlight (which you should but I digress).

All I'll say on the Shield is persoanally I wouldn't use one on anything but a range toy.

All I had used until recently was type 1 and type 2 RMR's. I recently picked up a Holosun 509T and absolutely love it. I know they look huge in pictures. If you get your hands on one you'll be surprised at how small they are. They are shorter than an RMR footprint and the mounting interface is far better than two screws. They look large because they are boxy. If you see one next to any other Holosun open emitter model, you'll realize they are not. I prefer the thoughts of a closed emitter, although admittedly the open emitter has served me well. If I was carrying a gun for a living, closed emitter is the only was I'd go. The Eotech type reticle is also way faster for me to pick up and get on target versus just the dot. The reticle is selectable between the two.

Posts: 1900 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: October 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
Of course that's totally silly, as is a bunch of other stuff in Horn's post. But everyone gets an opinion on these things, and of course what works for one might not work for others.

Since the original design in 1996, Shield continues to manufacture the world’s smallest, lightest, toughest mini red dot sight. Sold under other brand names for many years, you may know the Shield Mini Sight as the Firepoint, Tasco Optima, Trijicon RedDot or JPoint.

Posts: 395 | Location: Green Valley, Arizona | Registered: May 01, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since the original design in 1996, Shield continues to manufacture the world’s smallest, lightest, toughest mini red dot sight. Sold under other brand names for many years, you may know the Shield Mini Sight as the Firepoint, Tasco Optima, Trijicon RedDot or JPoint.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Sig article Link

Sig had an article on 3 vs 6 moa in an email last week...

Posts: 23439 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post